Outfitter Review Thread

I've been happy with www.luckyoutfitters.com (Illinois Whitetail) I've hunted with him two years in a row and have been happy.

check out the reviews on bowsite they are pretty good,about the best thing on there

buckdeer,
Reviews can be biased if the site they are posted on has outfitters as paying sponsors. My own observations are that sites like you mentioned, without intention, discourage negative reviews about sponsors. People pick up on negative reviews not being welcome, and so only folks that have something good to say will post.

I met 3 other guys at one outfitter, and the four of us will never go back. We did not know each other until having met there. This year all four of us are going together to a different outfitter. Not one of them will post a review as they do not want to take "grief" for saying what they actually thought about their experience. It just is not worth it to them. It is valuable though to the outfitter to have enough folks post positive comments that most will interpret all is good.

Hopefully a site like this can increase participation with candid outfitter reviews that will give potential clients an honest appraisal of what they can expect. Let's be honest, the services they provide are extremely valuable, yet also very expensive for most of us. When I retire I would like to take a few hunts that I have not been able to as my Fall's are taken up by work. I do not have the experience to go it alone and am willing to pay for a good service for animals like bear, elk, and pronghorn. I don't want to find out after arrival that the outfitter has an A list and B list of clients.

Looking for a quality Whitetail Outfitter in Alberta or Saskatchewan Canada. Primary focus is rifle or muzzle-loader.

Drop me a note if you have had a good experience with one. Thanks.

I'm looking for a hog outfitter for April. Ideally rifle, but muzzleloader is ok.

Anyone have a good contact?

I'm looking for a hog outfitter for April. Ideally rifle, but muzzleloader is ok.

Anyone have a good contact?

You could always beg BigBend :emoji_thinking:

Big bend, pleeeeaaaaasssseee!!!!!!

I have some Canadian chanterelles to trade.

Four of us just hunted black bear in MB. We went with Sleeve Lake Outfitters. Highly, highly recommend them. Three of us shot bears the first night, all four of us could have. We all saw multiple bears.

They have many more bears than hunters, know what they are doing and put hunters on fresh stands. They do not educate the bear. From the quantity and quality of bears through the accommodations, this is a first rate opeartion run by folks with the highest integrity.

The four of us met on a bear hunt in MB 2 years ago at another outfitter. We wanted to hunt together again, but with a good chance of taking a bear. We decided to try Sleeve Lake as none of us would ever go back to Bear Track in MB, owned and operated by Ron Dare.

I have booked with Sleeve Lake for next year, and probably some of the others will as well.

Just got back from another two day Prairie Dog hunt in South Dakota. This was our second time with Prairie Highlands Outfitters. http://www.prairiehighlandslodge.com Once again it was five star hunting, meals and accommodations. Never ran out of shooting opportunities. Second day we were on the biggest dog town I have ever seen. If you have ever thought about trying this I can highly recommend Abel Harmon and his wife. They will make feel at home and put you on some of the best prairie dog hunting you can imagine. If you want more details you can email me at edbrodt@att.net

Last edited:
Four of us just hunted black bear in MB. We went with Sleeve Lake Outfitters. Highly, highly recommend them. Three of us shot bears the first night, all four of us could have. We all saw multiple bears.

They have many more bears than hunters, know what they are doing and put hunters on fresh stands. They do not educate the bear. From the quantity and quality of bears through the accommodations, this is a first rate opeartion run by folks with the highest integrity.

The four of us met on a bear hunt in MB 2 years ago at another outfitter. We wanted to hunt together again, but with a good chance of taking a bear. We decided to try Sleeve Lake as none of us would ever go back to Bear Track in MB, owned and operated by Ron Dare.

I have booked with Sleeve Lake for next year, and probably some of the others will as well.

That sounds great. Any photos?

How much did it cost?

What do you do if you shoot a bear the first night? Do they have boats for fishing?

Outfitter charges $2850, add at least 10% for tips.

There is no water nearby for fishing. Most go home early or help with baiting if they want. We left early. Thanks.

Tips? Really? What are the tips for?

Good question!

Pretty much an expression of gratitude, like a server at a restaurant.

Good question!

Pretty much an expression of gratitude, like a server at a restaurant.

Who are you supposed to tip? The guide? The cook? Everyone?

How do you pay it? Cash in an envelope?

Thanks for the info. I am looking for a place to take my girlfriend bear hunting, but I have never used an outfitter before.

We tipped the guide, outfitter and cook. Cash, and an Avalon knife to the guide.

Good luck.

I've never tipped the head man but I have tipped the grunts that do the work. Never had a cook but I did and the food was good I'd tip there also.

Not an endorsement but I just learned I have a neighbor that takes a total of 14 guys throughout the entire season on 3000 acres. Not a full blown outfitter just covering some costs. Don't know cost but he said 9 to 10 day hunt for the price of what most outfitters charge for 5 day hunts. Bow or Rifle. Again, can't say good or bad but he has some steep fines for shooting deer he points out with pictures and says not to shoot :)

Anyone interested PM me and I'll get you a name and number and you can ask him all the questions you need.

Again I know this thread is for info on good outfitters. Just thought I'd put it here because.

Bill,

I hope both good and bad experiences can be posted. JMO, but we need to help steer fellow hunters away from the scammers and liars. Thanks.

An update on Bear Track Outfitters in MB. Ron Dare sold it! Hopefully the new owners will have good luck and always be honest.