Outdoor Wood Stove???

That's the right and safe way to do it. It protects the line workers and protects your equipment as well.

I've seen some done the wrong way, and when an out of phase home generator pits itself against the grid, the grid always wins.:D
I like to do stuff myself, but by no means am I willing risk someone else's safety to rig up my own switch. Running amperage back into the grid while a repairman is trying to his job isn't an option. With that said I need to finish the hookup as ice storm season isn't far away.

A friend of mine has the type of system I would like to put in at some point. He has a small shed about 30 feet from his house with a "basement-style" wood furnace in it (not sure of brand). He has enough room to keep a couple days worth of wood in there if he wants, but it is right beside his wood shed, so it's just a short carry. He also has a backup generator to make sure the circulator keeps working in the event of an outage. It's a pretty big home, and he goes through about 6-7 cords per year.

With any back-up generator you need a transfer switch. They come either fully automatic or manually thrown. Theses transfer switches isolate your generator from the power co. grid, so you cannot have power coming from both sources. Transfer switches protect you, your generator, AND the linemen who may be working on downed lines.

I've had a fireplace insert woodstove for 28 years in our lower level fireplace. It is a " cook-top " style that we can cook on and sit a steamer on for moisture. Designed-in blower moves heated air and it heats the whole house. Wood 15 ft. away on patio. I use 2 to 3 cords per winter and have a well-insulated house.

A good hunting buddy has an outdoor wood furnace and he goes thru a PILE of wood in a year. He needs the time AND a source of wood to get all he needs.