Our pond build

What are wipers?

Good to know. I'm jealous of you guys that don't have to worry about ponds freezing out. If it's not 15-20 feet deep or more It runs a high risk of freezing out.

Wipers would be a blast!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Drought taking its toll. The edge of the buckwheat was at the water 3 weeks ago.
6CB6919E-5A9E-46A1-8238-1B2B928BC57E.jpeg

The fatheads minnows must be constantly spawning. They are everywhere. Fish are growing nicely. Holding off on any more stocking until the pond level raises more. Did go catch a few tonight.
96BDA7D3-D367-4C1A-9C6D-D9F85A3AA142.jpeg

Did you get any rain in the past week? We are dry!

3.5”. Enough to keep us in severe drought and not extreme. I am going to add more hybrid bluegill but not unless we get rain. Pond came back up to June 1 levels but this 100 degrees and windy will evaporate it out quick. I’d kill for an August thunderstorm that pops up and sits on us for a couple hours. Seems like that happens ever couple years.

We don't get much in August, it usually heads east of us. I like the hybrid bluegills! Be carefull swimming with them... they bite hard and they like to target nipples. Don't ask...

This ain’t a swimming pond, although I did swim out and remove a piece of cover that was being problematic for the kids fishing. Come on rain.

1C677484-C855-4FE2-87F4-A41CC90C420E.jpeg

Lack of rain taking its toll. I have been going out and seeding millet around the edges in the mud as the pond recedes.

I sure hope you get a rain soon. We got lucky and hit two rains recently for a total of 1.8 inches in the last couple of months. It was nice but no run-off at all... it just soaked into the ground.

Ive noticedthe native grasses are stressed and already have seedheads up, especially the big blue.

100 3-4" hybrid bluegill went in today. Also 50 8-11" channel cat. This is to supplement the 150 4-6" hybrid bluegill that went in Mar 22nd. We lost some in the overflow event as I found them dead in puddles downstream.20180911_155317.jpg

Sweet!