Osage orange or hedge Apple or just good eats

Reagan

5 year old buck +
66aa899583850ca1cb8a98788c3de682.jpg

The tapa app has me reviewing old pictures. This was taken at Dad's place two years ago. He has a lot of these trees and that year the fruit was a bumper crop. Deer love to browse the leaves and when the fruit is heavy, new chow gets exposed when the limbs bend down.

The fruit is definitely not eaten like a good mast crop. They can lay around for a long time. But I have seen many different deer eat them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see the fruit mostly eaten by "critters" in general and not very much. I have a bunch of this stuff on my place. The only real time I see them eaten is in the winter when food is much harder to find and it doesn't appear to be by deer either. All-in-all it's pretty worthless stuff in my opinion so of course my place has lots of it!

Sometimes I think if it wasn't for cottonwood, sycamore, hedge apple, boxelder and buckeye I wouldn't have any woods! That's a list of some prime timber CRAP right there!!!!

We have tons of hedge and the leaves are browsed very heavily by both deer and cattle. In my experience these are the first trees to show a visible "browse line". I think they are even browsed more heavily than mulberry.