Orchard PH Stinks

Lot2Learn

5 year old buck +
I just got the results back from my soil samples and the ph in my various orchards ranges from 4.6 to 5.4. Ugh.

I'll be top dressing with palletized lime ASAP and putting ag lime down in the Spring when we replant the surrounding food plots.

I've read that top dressing helps, but only in the top inch or two of the soil profile.

Three questions:
1. How deeply can I disk/till around the 2-3 year old apple/pear trees without damaging the roots?
2. What other ideas do you have for getting lime to affect the soil deeper than the top couple of inches?
3. Given the low ph, and thus the reduction in the tree's ability to uptake nutrients, should I increase the amount of fertilizer I put around the trees this Spring?

- Lot2Learn

OUCH!!! 5.4 is workable, but not ideal. But 4.6 is pretty bad. From everything I know (which at best is a 3-5 out of 10 compared to many here) it just takes time. Build your organic matter and keep liming. Liming each fall will help to stop any scab spores from multiplying.

To your increase in fertilizer I'd say 100% no. In this case I'd say that your goal should be to build that soil, and adding more fertilizer will damage the microbes and food web. If you do that, you'll eventually get trees that are dependent on the fertilizer, rather than able to support themselves. As you continue to build your soil, the pH will start to even out, but you'll still 100% need lots of lime.

It sucks when half of what you need is patience :)

Here is what I have tried on light soils with a low pH and after I planted the trees without checking the pH.

I like the fruit tree spikes and push them a bit deeper, then add a handful of pel lime on top of the spike.

In one case. I took a post hole digger and dug a hole somewhat near the tree, angling just a bit towards the tree. I put some pel lime and compost in that hole, with just a handful or so of rotted chicken manure. This seemed to work on the light soil in that one case. Another friend has tried it on light soils.

One very experienced orchard grower used to throw one spadeful of chicken manure at his established trees and it seems to work. I have read that chicken manure might be better for low pH soils.

all of the above is based on very limited experience. Like a Minimum Maintenance Road, Travel at your own risk!