All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on what clovers to plant in MN for deer

I have heard the white clovers are a lot herder 2 get started then the red! Any opinions on chicory?
Chicory is a good mix with clovers red or white. I mix mine 50/50 but find the clover likes to take over after a few years.

Chicory is a good mix with clovers red or white. I mix mine 50/50 but find the clover likes to take over after a few years.

My only complaint with chicory is it limits your options if you need to spray a clover stand containing clover. Not much you can spray on a clover/chicory stand without killing the chicory (raptor will do it, but it will cost you dearly)

-John

My only complaint with chicory is it limits your options if you need to spray a clover stand containing clover. Not much you can spray on a clover/chicory stand without killing the chicory (raptor will do it, but it will cost you dearly)

-John
I don't use spray. A few weeds don't bother me.

Would you agree that alsike would do well in most wet areas, even if lower pH? Some farmers consider it a nuisance in alfalfa fields.
My very limited personal experience food plotting with alsike points exactly to that Art. I have used it only once in a small(less than 1000 sq ft) kill plot in a river bottom. Planted it once and then shortly afterwards we turned that whole area into a sanctuary, so it got overrun with tag alders and weeds after about 2 years. Soils were wet and ph was around 5.2 in that plot. I have worked for some farmers who use it as part of a mix in wet pasture areas with ph on the lower side as well.

Not an Upper Mid-Wester, but Alsike has done well for us in northern Pa. on ground that has less-than-ideal pH. We mixed it with med. red and it did real well. Once we got the pH up - we don't use alsike any more. Our best white clover plots are a mix of Ladino, Alice, and Kopu II white clovers, with some chicory. These plots we used oats as a nurse crop and as the oats matured and died off, the plots thickened with the increased sunlight. Now we let the clover go to seed and just mow once for keeping any weeds from going to seed. Plots look good and should last for 7 to 10 years. ( we aren't farmers, but have listened to LickCreek's advice via PM a few years ago )