Opinions needed.

kl9

5 year old buck +
One of the properties I hunt at has about a 25 house development going in approximately a mile away. The terrain between is both valleys and ridgetops. Do you think this development, with its distance away, is going to alter my hunting at all for the worse?

Thanks for the opinions!

If you have the typical terrain for the area of ag on the tops of the ridges and woods on the side hills and valleys, you will most likely be fine if it is a mile away. It may even make your hunting better, given that it could concentrate movement in your direction so the deer can avoid the new development.

Reactions: kl9
Where is this property?

If there is a subdivision coming ... you will be screwed ....

The property is a mile away... There is about 140 acres that is divided 25 ways into individual parcels of size 5-7 or so. That is really the only thing somewhat close though, everything is farms.

Maybe at first it will affect you but after awhile the deer will get use to it. If I could shot deer in town I would have better hunting than at my property.

You may get lucky and have neighbors that plant delicious landscaping for the deer.

And you might get unlucky and have more trespassers.

You may see a shift in both patterns as well as numbers depending on the impact to cover and food availability the development has.

The development will not decrease ANY cover but will turn probably 50 acres tillable into 20 homes or so. There is more than enough surrounding food to compensate for this loss... Lots and lots of ag fields

There are subdivisions all over these bluffs. Most folks don't even leave their yards to step into the surrounding woods. Look at all the development that is up behind Grandad. My work buddy shot a 196" mainframe 12pt out of Hixton Forest less than 100 yards from the 13th tee at Forest Hills Golf Course as a mentor for a DNR sponsored handicapped hunt 2 seasons ago, all that housing, golfing, and hiking traffic doesn't affect those deer at all.

1 mile. You will be fine. Is it a nicer development meaning square footage minimums, building requirements etc??? If not may draw in some RifRaf

Thanks for the responses everyone!

The only place I have left to hunt with lots of deer is a 70 acre piece in between developments. I think it easier to hunt. Deer are way more relaxed. Typical sit I hear kids screaming, dogs barking, school buses, lawn mowers, snow blowers, you get the idea. Deer pay no attention and you get away with bad wind because they smell people all day long.

1 mile. You will be fine. Is it a nicer development meaning square footage minimums, building requirements etc??? If not may draw in some RifRaf
Riff raff can't afford to build in those neighborhoods. Remember we are in WI not MO, the taxes alone keep most of the riff raff out.

I've hunted for years on the fringes of a coal mining operation on state land and all the equipment noise form drag lines, loaders and blasting w/ explosives hasn't harmed deer hunting at all. In fact, the re-graded land - once an open pit - was planted w/ clover & birdsfoot trefoil along with pines and spruce and it's a buffet for the deer. Mining still happening a few hundred yds. away.

Around the Phila. region of Pa., some of the best deer hunting w/ the biggest bucks is on the fringes of towns and developments. You just have to get permission to hunt those places. Traffic & noise, dogs, kids......... deer are fat & livin' large !!

Riff raff can't afford to build in those neighborhoods. Remember we are in WI not MO, the taxes alone keep most of the riff raff out.
Haha i would prefer the lower taxes any day. I have worked with an hunt with guys from WI plenty of RifRaf up north too you ain't fooling me;)

I agree Jordan, plenty to be had, they just can't afford to move into subdivisions in this area. They usually stick to the sketchier parts of town, trailer courts, and really rural areas, not so much in the developed subdivisions, that's all.

I agree Jordan, plenty to be had, they just can't afford to move into subdivisions in this area. They usually stick to the sketchier parts of town, trailer courts, and really rural areas, not so much in the developed subdivisions, that's all.
I hear ya buddy I was just funning with you