Old&New

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
Snapped this pic as I was cutting up a big locust tree Friday afternoon that I knocked down last August at the edge of my big orchard.
While planting an apple tree last fall I dug up an old axe head and stuck it in the stump.
As I took a break from cutting I sat the new saw the wife so generously bought me for Christmas on the stump and got to thinking about the huge difference between the old and new technology a 100 years or so makes.

7NiK5qg.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I'm not yet sure how I feel about the new style oil and gas caps.

I've run a few gallons of gas through it so far and have no complaints yet.

Great photo. Crazy to think about the old and new. Even crazier to think about our "new" being old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't had any issues with mine either. But I wasnt aware there was anything wrong with the old style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mine just snapped apart. :(.

But that style may be new. Mine doesn't have the indicator marks on it. I hate my caps, seems like they never align right.

How about real old?! Swinging one of these guys around would make ya appreciate that steel one. That was a nice gift your wife gave you. I have the same caps on a newer 193 and haven't had an issue yet. I'm sure they'll eventually break though.

DSC00702.JPG

How about real old?! Swinging one of these guys around would make ya appreciate that steel one. That was a nice gift your wife gave you. I have the same caps on a newer 193 and haven't had an issue yet. I'm sure they'll eventually break though.

View attachment 12519

The property that is at is around four hundred yards from a good sized river, we dug a couple wetland ponds there last summer and I thought for sure I would find some kind of Indian artifacts. So far I have found lots of chirt and worked pieces of white and gray flint but no points or anything. Found a pony horseshoe, a clay marble, the axe head and odds and ends of broken antique china but that's been it so far.
Did use some old flagstone foundation stones from the property to build our fire ring with. Your collection of old stone axe heads is impressive!

Mine just snapped apart. :(.

But that style may be new. Mine doesn't have the indicator marks on it. I hate my caps, seems like they never align right.

I have an MS250 that is 12-13 yrs old. Not a fan of the caps either but no alignment marks on the older stuff. I have spilled out oil and gas out more than once over the years due to misalignment and when the gas cap came apart I got another off a parts saw I got from a fella at work that he toasted the cylinder on. Yep that saw has a replacement cap on too. Saw runs great and like the weight, caps are the only complaint for me. A gallon of gas goes a long way compared to the old days of chopping away by hand.

As I took a break from cutting I sat the new saw the wife so generously bought me for Christmas on the stump and got to thinking about the huge difference between the old and new technology a 100 years or so makes.

You should have taken the picture with a trail cam and entered it in the contest :)

Cool picture. I can't imagine how tough the people were 100 years ago?

I saw your new saw and I am still amazed at the price that Stihl can carry when the flood of the chinese saws on available. Great brand and I love them, but I would think that the company is feeling the pressure to lower prices when you can buy a 52CC saw brand new for a 100 bucks. My guess is that farm boss was 450+ all day, I don' t know that but it's ONLY a guess. I will say it again.. nothing against Stihl, love the brand. I have used the chinese saws as my brother has one. He has zero complaints and it opened my eyes. He has been running it for two years and he heats his home with wood. He has zero problems to date.

I have an 18" Poulan Wildthing 42cc, and a Poulan 50cc with a 20 inch. The Wildthing has worked great for over 10 years, but many chains, and bent bars on it. In fact I still use it today for a lightweight backup, or trimming branches. The 50cc Poulan has been junk since the day I bought it, under powered, I have to fiddle with the carbs for about every 10 degrees in temps, and the thing is heavy. I just bought a MS-261, and it is almost as light as the Wildthing, but has way more power, and you can tell the quality is tenfold. I also have a Husky with a 24 inch bar, that sits in the shed for lack of need, that is heavy, but runs great, and feels like a good quality saw as well. No knock on Poulan, they serve a need, and work great for your occasional tree work, but they are no where close on quality.

I run 2 Stihl saws, an MS-390 w/20" bar, and a MS-180C w/16" bar. I had a Homelite 450 XL before that. It felt like it was made of lead - very heavy. For the amount of cutting I do over a span of years, the money spent on the Stihls is well worth it and I've never had a problem with either of them. Of all the guys in my camp that have saws, all but 2 have Stihl saws and the other 2 have Husky saws. I will NOT buy Chinese. My Stihl's are USA made.

Back to old & new - someone above mentioned how tough the old folks must have been. I remember my Dad telling me about all the wood they had to cut & split when he was young - all by hand. The women would home - can food and cook on a wood-fired range all summer long in the heat. No inside water - it came from a pump out away from the house. ******* Now - we have robotic carts to deliver your latest " must-have " items to your home, drones delivering pizza & other things, robots waiting on tables in restaurants, self-driving cars and buses, etc. What's next .......... robotic BM extractors so we don't have to push ?????????