Old McCormick grain drill

ACCMan

5 year old buck +
I have located an old McCormick drill that is in good shape considering its age. It is one of the steel wheeled units. It has been barn kept all its life and even has the canvas covers that McCormick supplied. It has a grain, fertilizer and seed bin and double coulter wheels and is an 8 footer. I have only seen pics so not 100% on its shape. ,I am guessing its not a true no till and would require minimum cultivation prior to planting. I used these things as a boy and they were built like tanks. What can anyone tell me about them, are there any parts still available for them? I am only planting 2 acres so I think it would be a good fit for me. All we ever planted with them was soybeans and wheat. I am assuming you can plant oats, sorghum and buckwheat with them? I am not committed, and maybe should be committed for even considering this old relic. Both of us are relics and in about equal condition.

Go for it. I use a old Oliver Superior grain drill,10 footer.This year,I put a 4 inch wide strip of plywood in the grain bin and drilled out the holes that i wanted for soybeans.I alternated 12 and 18 inch rows so I could spray with my 4 wheeler without running over the plants. I have an old IH drill on the farm that has trees growing through it. I have made 2 seeders out of the grass bins and am planning to make a 4 row soybean planter out of the grain bin. The bin was wood and has rotted away .I plan to salvage what I can to make a 3 pt planter that I can leave at my other place.

Biggest thing is whether it is rusted out from fertilizer. If it is not all rusted out, they are great for lots of seeds. You do need to till. Store it inside, dont run fertilizer through it, oil and grease, and it will stay in great shape. We use my grandfather's old drill for our plots.