Old Chestnut orchard

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
I sold my skid loader to an older fella this wk. He negotiated that I deliver it to his house which is only about 25 miles from mine so I agreed. This ol boy was somthing. Lived on 120 acres on the edge of town an went on about his machine guns an how he was Sicilian an not the kind to be F'd with. I soon gathered he was harmless an just shooting the bull. When signing the bill of sale we did so in his house. I noticed a bowl with a pile of chestnuts sitting on the kitchen counter. I asked him about them an he replied "son my dad was the first man to introduce growing chestnuts in this area" "he used to sell trees at a nursery in south St. Louis county" he then went on to tell me he had another peice of property that has 12 mature mixed genetic chestnut trees on it. He invited me to come out an check them out. He gave me a bag full of chestnuts for the road. Just thought it was kinda crazy to run into this guy of all people. I hope to get some pics of his old producing trees this spring.

Last edited:
I sold my skid loader to an older fella this wk. He negotiated that I deliver it to his house which is only about 25 miles from mine so I agreed. This ol boy was somthing. Lived on 120 acres on the edge of town an went on about his machine guns an how he was Sicilian an not the kind to be F'd with. I soon gathered he was harmless an just shooting the bull. When signing the bill of sale we did so in his house. I noticed a bowl with a pile of chestnuts sitting on the kitchen counter. I asked him about them an he replied "son my dad was the first man to introduce growing chestnuts in this area" "he used to sell trees at a nursery in south St. Louis county" he then went on to tell me he had another peice of property that has 12 mature mixed genetic chestnut trees on it. He invited me to come out an check them out. He gave me a bag full of cheatnuts for the road. Just thought it was kinda crazy to run into this guy of all people. I hope to get some pics of his old producing trees this spring.

Cheatnuts?........that's what the barracuda use to call me when I got a little randy with a few of her girlfriends back in the day!:eek:

Cool story Jordan, keep making that money!

You mean that there was some tree nuts like us way back then?lol

Cheatnuts?........that's what the barracuda use to call me when I got a little randy with a few of her girlfriends back in the day!:eek:

Cool story Jordan, keep making that money!
Lol I'm trying to "have a purpose behind everything I do" Mo. Pennies make dimes an dimes make dollars;)

You mean that there was some tree nuts like us way back then?lol
I know it huntall! This is the first guy I run into around here that had any extended experience with them.

Lol I'm trying to "have a purpose behind everything I do" Mo. Pennies make dimes an dimes make dollars;)

Just remember....no one ever went broke making a profit! Sounds like you have that figured out already!

So these chestnuts this fella gave me were picked up in Sep. They have sat on a bowl on his counter ever since then. Think these will still grow from seed? How long after falling from tree before ther no good for planting????

Last edited:
So these chestnuts this fella gave me were picked up in Sep. They have sat on a bowl on his counter ever since then. Think these will still grow from seed? How long after falling from tree before ther no good for planting????
I think main concern is if they may have dried out to much.

Next year you have a source for some nuts now

Jordan ,

Any updates on this?

No updates, havnt been by there..
I need to swing by his place an see how he is doing. Hope that skid I sold him is holding up ok might be kinda awkward if not