Ok to fertilize

chummer

5 year old buck +
I planted my brassica and corn two weeks ago. They are all up and doing good. I was going to spread urea in a couple weeks but we are forecasted to get a 12 hour soaking rain Saturday night. Is it safe to fertilize when they are that young or should I wait?

That depends on how much time and equipment you have. He is a chart for corn and nitrogen uptake.

N uptake.PNG

As you can see the corn doesnt uptake much N at all until its around chest high. You do need some up front to get it jump started though. The best would be if you can split apply. And since you are talking about rain I assume that you know that you just cant put urea out with no rain in sight.

Best case scenario you get 1/3 on now and the other 2/3 a few weeks from now. If you want to do it all at one shot a nice slow steady rain would be good. Lots of guys around here put on 100% of their N as urea and field cultivate and then plant. Depends on your soils. If you have a high CEC you should be able to do it now and hold it all.

This chart helps to clear up the confusion of how Nitrogen works with your food plots of choice. :)

upload_2015-6-25_23-16-21.png

LOL!!

That makes it crystal clear. I think I will top dress a little this weekend and save the rest for a few weeks. Thanks for the help.

BLB's chart is a little blurry, but it is clearly German and I see the word Frankfurter on that chart. Given my family background, if it has anything to do with tasty German sausages, I'm in, because there is usually copious amounts of barley pop involved as well!;):D