Odd rim/tire issue

well if the wheel fell off
why not jack tractor up, and put back on
if tire /wheel was damaged, just take that to get fixed and then put it back on
if in mud
take a half sheet of think plywood or likes to get a level ish place and then add some larger wood to get things going, 6x6 post work well and a bottle jack to lift things in tighter places!

no need to get a tow truck to put a tire/wheel back on

its still Saturday, most tire shops should be open yet??

and is there any way to get a 4x4 truck near it to maybe pull it out of mud if needed ??

if you can get a chain low on front end where tire is off, and pull, you should be able to drive it out too, with tension on chain and being pulled also by a truck, that is if you have a helper, I work a lone a lot so I know this isn;t always possible

but there are many ways to get a wheel back on that came off
been there done it many times over the yrs on all sorts of things(not all mine LOL)

also, if you have any other farms about, many farmers are willing to help if you ask, and have lather things to use here too!
never hurts to ask and even giving a few bucks to, might be cheaper than a tow truck and a roll back, if thats what is needed for a tow company to get it out and back to a shop?

well if the wheel fell off
why not jack tractor up, and put back on
if tire /wheel was damaged, just take that to get fixed and then put it back on
if in mud
take a half sheet of think plywood or likes to get a level ish place and then add some larger wood to get things going, 6x6 post work well and a bottle jack to lift things in tighter places!

no need to get a tow truck to put a tire/wheel back on

its still Saturday, most tire shops should be open yet??

and is there any way to get a 4x4 truck near it to maybe pull it out of mud if needed ??

if you can get a chain low on front end where tire is off, and pull, you should be able to drive it out too, with tension on chain and being pulled also by a truck, that is if you have a helper, I work a lone a lot so I know this isn;t always possible

but there are many ways to get a wheel back on that came off
been there done it many times over the yrs on all sorts of things(not all mine LOL)

also, if you have any other farms about, many farmers are willing to help if you ask, and have lather things to use here too!
never hurts to ask and even giving a few bucks to, might be cheaper than a tow truck and a roll back, if thats what is needed for a tow company to get it out and back to a shop?

You certainly are creative! I don't have the mechanical skills to fix it. I found an O-ring on the ground and a ring that was broken in half. Hydraulic fluid was spewing on the ground from the axle. It is not stuck in the mud or anything. Everything is dry. Without the ability to steer accurately, I don't think I could get it on the trailer safely. I did think about just sliding the wheel back on the axle and seeing if I could get it on the trailer, but the mud hole is in front of it. That means I'd need to turn it around.

Thanks,

Jack

If the tire had been flat for some time, the tire may be deformed just enough to not maintain a tight seal once inflated.

Not, it was not flat for long. It was fine when I drove out that afternoon. By evening, it looked a little low. It went flat when I tried to drive on it. I immediately pulled the wheel, so it only had weight on it flat for minutes.

Thanks,

Jack

I mangled the hydraulic steering cylinder on a rock. Busted it in half. I had the back tow bar hung up on a rock at same time while trying to get some logs out with running gear. Ok not too smart where I was trying to go but rocks and trees go together on my land.

While I had all four tires attached no front steering at all and yes lost some hydraulic fluid if I kept spinning the steering wheel.

Drove backwards over 1/2 mile off my hill steering with brakes as mentioned above. Had to get to an area where I could get my truck and trailer pulled into level spot.

Backed tractor on to trailer with no steering but did wait until friend showed up to manually kick the front tires while rolling to "steer". Ohhh almost all in the rain of course. Started 5 min after the cluster happening. Reason I was in a bit of a hurry. That was a few bucks to get fixed...

Not, it was not flat for long. It was fine when I drove out that afternoon. By evening, it looked a little low. It went flat when I tried to drive on it. I immediately pulled the wheel, so it only had weight on it flat for minutes.

Thanks,

Jack

I know all the well intention-ed here, but this thread is starting to remind us ... you lost 2 weekends of work ... buy a new tire and rim and be done with it ....

I spent 2 weekends with a log splitter wheel that was the same problem. Thought I would "figure" out how to "fix it" .... hours of wasted time ...

I went ahead and bought 2 new tires & rims for $150, new bearing that I repacked, I am now good for another 20 years ...

I know all the well intention-ed here, but this thread is starting to remind us ... you lost 2 weekends of work ... buy a new tire and rim and be done with it ....

I spent 2 weekends with a log splitter wheel that was the same problem. Thought I would "figure" out how to "fix it" .... hours of wasted time ...

I went ahead and bought 2 new tires & rims for $150, new bearing that I repacked, I am now good for another 20 years ...

I can agree with above other than the new bearing swap. I'll take a lightly used 20 year old bearing NOT made in China over a brand new fresh outta the box one from our friends overseas. Been burned too many times on trailer bearings and used to go to double the price automotive ones to get something decent. But last year found no other supplier to be found.

All the good old names SKF, Timken, Fafnir all have only China junk on their smaller roller bearing sizes. Same thing on Autozone and NAPA inhouse premium brands. If someone has some other brand out there not made in China I'm all ears. 4x the cost I'll pay it. Man I hate their cheap bearings. Ohhh, and your John Deere lawnmower has suffered the same fate. Good thing the one side with the remaining 27 yr old bearing is still going strong. The Fing China side has been replaced a few times already.

Ok rant off.

Last edited:
Well, the tire and rim held up well so far but as I reported the wheel fell off. The tow truck showed up this morning as promised. It took some maneuvering. We couldn't angle the truck perfectly. I had to sit in the tractor and lift the front end with the loader as he winched me on, but we finally got it on with no real issues. It I found the other have of some kind of retaining ring and more o-rings. It seems awfully coincidental to me that it was the same wheel, but sometimes coincidences happen. I was able to trace the hydraluic fluid on the ground so I know exactly when the failure occurred. I had been digging a trench across a logging road for drainage. I had been driving about 15 yards from the ditch to dump the dirt into a pile for later use after installing the drain pipe. I was just dumping a load of dirt in the pile when the failure occurred. There is a trail of hydraulic fluid from that spot back to the ditch. As I was dug the next bucket of dirt and as I was backing out of the trench, the wheel fell off.

It is in the shop now, so we will see how things fair.

Thanks,

Jack

Nothing like a good ole South Korean tractor.

Nothing like a good ole South Korean tractor.

Yep, my next tractor won't be a Kioti. Don't get me wrong. Some of the maintenance issues are related to my use. I knew I was using it to do some clearing jobs that it was way undersized for, but we could not afford to rent larger equipment so it was my Kioti and FEL or nothing. However several were related to design issues. The loader is a very poor design and the AC was a horrible design.

Thanks,

Jack

so, did the lug nuts just come off an cause the wheel to all off, or did something actually break and cause the whole unit/hub bearing axle?? to come off with tire attached to it all??
and you really should be taking some pictures,. you know we all LIKE pictures LOL
and after some time passes and you look at them later you too might giggle just a DAD , HAHA!

any way's I hope its all fixed and up and good soon for you and not too costly of a repair!

No, the entire wheel/hub came off the axle. Some kind of retaining ring inside evidently broke cause I found it on the ground along with several o-rings. Hydraulic fluid drained out of the axle. I don't think it was related to the tire issue at all. Just my luck! I didn't think to take a pic.

well, since you mentioned that you , maybe over worded this tractor and it has a front end loader
my guess(and no bash here) is that when you over load/work a front end loader, you add a LOT of extra stress to that front axle, so when having a lot of weight and making turns and and or traveling with a loaded bucket, that axle will get a LOT of stress, all the more so on un even terrain that will push weights at times back and forth side to side on things! and then add in all that EXTRA traction the tires end up getting due to all that added weight on them from loaded up buckets or pushing down on tires while pushing on things with bucket, that down force, added traction, sure stresses things!! get a tad throttle happy to try and MAKE things happen, and before long you make a weak link in the drive train LOL
normally a U joint goes first, but not always, a lot comes down to what a part is made of the stronger metal

while in shop, I would suggest you have them check other side really good, as when one side goes, many times the other isn't far behind!
just saying some times better safe than sorry!
I would also suggest a full drain of front dif fluid and even a flush, as if a seal was bad leaking fluid into the axle housing, and you were in mud or water, there is a chance water and or dirt could have gotten into the dif,
so, food for thought on this side of things as well
as odds are the seal, bearing between diff and axle tube, got egged out while axle worn and wobbled!
so I am guessing your ion need of new seals, and bearings, and or possibly a new axle, pending why it came out!

again best of luck on repairs being cheaper than expected!
I know the pains all too well,
as, over the yrs I have broke a LOT of axles over the yrs, from on ATV's, tractor, jeep/s trucks, and some other heavy equipment! things happen when your pushing things to there limits,
did a bunch of mud bog racing, monster truck racing, I couldn;t tell you how many things that broke doing that stuff, and every break ended up with strong parts, that just found the next weakest link and repeat, what a way to spend money, as all in the name of fun, or FUN at the time, till the bills came , OH to be young and dumb back then! LOL

well, since you mentioned that you , maybe over worded this tractor and it has a front end loader
my guess(and no bash here) is that when you over load/work a front end loader, you add a LOT of extra stress to that front axle, so when having a lot of weight and making turns and and or traveling with a loaded bucket, that axle will get a LOT of stress, all the more so on un even terrain that will push weights at times back and forth side to side on things! and then add in all that EXTRA traction the tires end up getting due to all that added weight on them from loaded up buckets or pushing down on tires while pushing on things with bucket, that down force, added traction, sure stresses things!! get a tad throttle happy to try and MAKE things happen, and before long you make a weak link in the drive train LOL
normally a U joint goes first, but not always, a lot comes down to what a part is made of the stronger metal

while in shop, I would suggest you have them check other side really good, as when one side goes, many times the other isn't far behind!
just saying some times better safe than sorry!
I would also suggest a full drain of front dif fluid and even a flush, as if a seal was bad leaking fluid into the axle housing, and you were in mud or water, there is a chance water and or dirt could have gotten into the dif,
so, food for thought on this side of things as well
as odds are the seal, bearing between diff and axle tube, got egged out while axle worn and wobbled!
so I am guessing your ion need of new seals, and bearings, and or possibly a new axle, pending why it came out!

again best of luck on repairs being cheaper than expected!
I know the pains all too well,
as, over the yrs I have broke a LOT of axles over the yrs, from on ATV's, tractor, jeep/s trucks, and some other heavy equipment! things happen when your pushing things to there limits,
did a bunch of mud bog racing, monster truck racing, I couldn;t tell you how many things that broke doing that stuff, and every break ended up with strong parts, that just found the next weakest link and repeat, what a way to spend money, as all in the name of fun, or FUN at the time, till the bills came , OH to be young and dumb back then! LOL

I would guess your analysis is spot on. Most of the loader overwork has not been carrying loads but pushing down trees and clearing land. Yes, using a tractor/FEL to do grubbing that track type equipment would normally be used for. Most of that heavy work was in the first 4 year after purchase, and I did have this same axle break previously. The break did not occur during grubbing, but simply turning a corner while mowing. My guess is that the stress occurred while over working it and some tiny straw broke the camel's back while mowing.

Good advice on checking the other side. I only mentioned the over work to give folks an honest view of Kioti. Some of my maintenance issues have been due to poor design, but others were due to my use. While i won't buy another (one reason is that the shop changed hands), that doesn't mean it may not be a good fit for others depending on their use.

Thanks,

Jack

Just got off the phone with the mechanic. Evidently a wheel bearing failed and it chipped a tooth off the 4wd mechanism. Looks like over $1,000 in parts alone. Worse yet, US inventory is low and the parts are back ordered and need to be shipped from over seas. As SWAT said, there is nothing like a good old South Korean tractor! Who knows when I'll see it back in working order!

Thanks,

Jack

you can maybe try some salvage yards if you wanted to, there are a lot of them out there these as and most have pretty good records of what a they have or not??
and who know'
s maybe they used the same part on many models of like sized tractors, so, might open the odds of finding a used part??
just saying, if your willing to look, you might save some down time, and maybe even a few bucks
a GOOD bearing shop should also be able to match up a bearing and seal too,
so if you DO find a used one, and want to go new when re installing, you can take to a good shop and have them match things up

I have done this before so I know it can happen, , not saying easy here, but, just something to think about!

you can maybe try some salvage yards if you wanted to, there are a lot of them out there these as and most have pretty good records of what a they have or not??
and who know'
s maybe they used the same part on many models of like sized tractors, so, might open the odds of finding a used part??
just saying, if your willing to look, you might save some down time, and maybe even a few bucks
a GOOD bearing shop should also be able to match up a bearing and seal too,
so if you DO find a used one, and want to go new when re installing, you can take to a good shop and have them match things up

I have done this before so I know it can happen, , not saying easy here, but, just something to think about!

That is one big reason I won't buy another Kioti. It is not like finding parts or JD or Kubota or others at the salvage yard.