Oaks, Acorns....

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Gents,

I'm gonna be doing a planting at a property of acorns (white variety) they sprout fast here and I'd like to get them in the ground this fall as thats more natural for my area.

I'm wondering if anyone is willing to send varieties that they have easy access too. I have general whites that I'll be planting my self but would love swamp, pin, english, sawtooth (I think this isn't a white though). Would just like to real diversify the planting.

Pin is a red oak family member. If I can get my hands on some of my native chinkapin in time you want some of them? They are small and drop early - great for archery season in my area.

I can check the woods at camp for Chestnut Oak acorns. They're in the white oak family and put down a lot of acorns. They can grow in some pretty crappy, rocky, thin soil too. Tough trees. They're called Chestnut oak because of the shape of their leaves - they look very similar to chestnut trees shape-wise. Let me know if you're interested.

I have some Bur oak I can send you.

If I can get my hands on some of my native chinkapin in time you want some of them? They are small and drop early - great for archery season in my area.
I was going to mention that too. I'd definitely give DCO a try if you're in zone 5 or warmer.

Heck yes guys, anything you can I'd be grateful. I don't have much for variety around here.

I was going to mention that too. I'd definitely give DCO a try if you're in zone 5 or warmer.
Actually I have native, full size chinkapins not the DCO's. They will still take a long time to mature just like a regular oak but will last much longer as well and actually produce timber down the road.

I have a lot of acorns starting to fall in the back yard. It looks like a bur oak leaf, but the cap doesn't have the burs that a lot of bur oaks have. The cap covers about half of the acorn. They would be coming from zone 4b. There are some other big oaks in town here, I have been thinking about taking a walk and filling up my pockets with some acorns. I expect a few odd looks doing that :)

I think you'll be very borderline on getting sawtooths to produce acorns. The trees would likely grow/survive, but for them to produce acorns requires a longer growing season with plenty of warm weather. If you can get the acorns for free, nothing wrong with trying I suppose.
I got some Sawtooths from THunter last year and started them in Rootmakers and planted them earlier this summer and they seem to be doing ok for now, time will tell. This is an experiment and I'm not counting on them but if they make it great.

I have a lot of acorns starting to fall in the back yard. It looks like a bur oak leaf, but the cap doesn't have the burs that a lot of bur oaks have. The cap covers about half of the acorn. They would be coming from zone 4b. There are some other big oaks in town here, I have been thinking about taking a walk and filling up my pockets with some acorns. I expect a few odd looks doing that :)

Some type of bur-hybrid most likely. If it were a bur-white or better yet a bur-SWO, I would be trying to get some of those in pots for next spring. Don't worry about the odd looks, my wife still gives me them when I stop on our walks to pick up and "study" acorns on the ground and check them out in the trees.

Some type of bur-hybrid most likely. If it were a bur-white or better yet a bur-SWO, I would be trying to get some of those in pots for next spring. Don't worry about the odd looks, my wife still gives me them when I stop on our walks to pick up and "study" acorns on the ground and check them out in the trees.

My wife was laughing at me yesterday when I was inspecting the ones in the back yard. I was talking to one of the city employees that works on parks/flowers/trees and he said they have been planting a lot of SWO in recent years. But he wasn't sure if there were any older mature ones around. Sounds like a good treasure hunt.

I have some large plug trays from Itasca greenhouse and I was planning on throwing some acorns into those to see if that works. Should have extras to send to BV as well.

How long Until these would produce anything

How long Until these would produce anything
Some of the hybrids will produce in 5-10yrs but rugular whites and reds 15-20yrs or more.

I do have northern reds yes, great trees, was planning to do a row of red/black and then row of whites, then a row of chesnuts I just don't have a lot to work with as far as nuts to grow. I have LOTs of open ground though.