Nuttall Oak

White Oak

5 year old buck +
Does anyone here have experience with the Nuttall oak ?. I became aware of them after seeing them on the NativNurseries website , They have them as seedlings for $3.89 and says they drop their acorns late November through January. I was surprised to see my local Lowes had several Nuttall's with the other trees for sale. It looked like most of the popular trees were picked apart already....and these may still be there when it's time to mark them down. They are $28.89 and probably 8 feet tall but very skinny , about the size of a pen around....not much more. I'm debating about getting one or two.

I have several grafts of the 'Macon' Nuttall oak selection. Bears heavily, and does drop over an extended timeframe...some years, it still has significant numbers of acorns still hanging on 1 March.

They like wet feet and likely won’t do as well on high n dry sites.

I don’t have any yet but they are on my short list for some wet areas on the farm.

If the Nuttalls at Lowes were that skinny and that tall, I would stay away from them, especially at that price. There is no telling what the roots look like with those trees. They are a fast growing tree in my opinion. A seedling planted alongside a containerized 8-foot tree would probably catch and surpass the larger tree within a couple of years. Most of the ones I have grown and planted were out the tops of their 5-foot tubes during the summer of their first year (18 months old). Nuttalls are frequently used as landscape trees and while they can live in wet sites, they can live in dry areas also. Here are some photos from March 6, 2021. This tree began dropping acorns in October and was still dropping acorns into March. The majority of the acorns drop in December though.

nuttall.jpgnuttall2.jpg

One more thought. Trees and people are a lot alike in the fact that at some point we get as tall as we’re gonna get...and then we start growing out.

If they’re tall and skinny but with good roots and you can set in a site where they can establish, they’ll flat take off. If they gotta fight to make a living they’ll just stay skinny forever even though they will go up in height.

Well I planted 75 Nuttall’s spring of 2022 I also planted NRO, Blackjack oak, Shumard oak, Black oak, Scarlet oak, and Pin oak.

I walked part of the planting this evening checking on tree’s I think out of 75 Nuttall’s I’ve lost 2-3 total, lost probably 80% of NRO and 50% of the Blackjack oak. We have had drought conditions both 2022 summer and spring drought 2023 and a short month long drought in August into September. I didn’t get to all the trees in the planting there are several hundred but so far I’m very impressed with Nuttall’s at least on my site they appear to thrive of those 75 Nuttall’s two overtopped 60” grow tubes already. I will be ordering more Nuttall’s to replace many of the other species that haven’t faired as well on my site.

Last edited:
Where do you order nuttal?

Where do you order nuttal?
I've got a couple from Nativ nursery and a few hybrids ( crossed with Pin ) from Wildlife Heritage nurseries.
I have a couple that are doing very well and some, not so much. I think my zone is pushing it. Would love to find a cross with NRO.

Not as cheap as MDC above....But I bought 5 Nuttalls from Bolu last year and all are doing fine.

Well we walked the rest of the spring 2022 planting this evening probably 40-50% mortality on the Shumard oak and Scarlet oak trees, 95% mortality on the Black oaks, Pawpaw trees idk 20% mortality I was pretty surprised at their resilience. Pin oak were maybe 10% mortality same for Persimmons. My Chinese chestnut from Wildlife group maybe 15% mortality.

I've got a couple from Nativ nursery and a few hybrids ( crossed with Pin ) from Wildlife Heritage nurseries.
I have a couple that are doing very well and some, not so much. I think my zone is pushing it. Would love to find a cross with NRO.
What zone are you in?
Thanks

I think Teeder is in 5b

Well I got over to a location I planted about 25 Nuttall’s on their second leaf several where out the top of the tubes one in particular was at least 2’ above the tube. Spectacular growth from the Nuttall’s.

My soil that the Nuttall’s seam to love is a silt clay.