Nose Jammer experience today

willy

5 year old buck +
I have used nose jammer before and have had good experiences with it out of a tree and one other blind. Deer have never turned inside out, went the other way but I've never had what I would call a 100% down wind deer encounter.

The blind I was in today is best for nw winds but it always seems the deer can scent something when ever they get within 10 yard of the blind when wind dies and definitely when they are crosswind of it either way and when downwind they are gone. I thought I built it basically scent proof except for the floor. It is built with reused decking. I spaced the boards a quarter inch to allow for expansion(yea I know stupid idea) but thought that with putting carpet over it I would be good.

Another mistake, I used outdoor carpet that is very porous as one can see the light under the blind through the spacing so there was no air stopped from going through the floor as it sank. The scent issues have always been the last hour of legal.

This blind was the only one I wanted to hunt out of today as the others that would have been better to sit in I am saving for guests for rifle opener this Saturday. The decision was made to hunt this one but I was going to do something about the open seems under the carpet. I got a roll of gorilla tape and a utility knife and took that and my hunting items to the blind along with a can of nose jammer and tinks scent killer I got at Menards.

I cut along the seam, taped the seam shut and then taped the carpet back together. There were a lot of seams:). i then went under the blind and sprayed the adhesive side of the tape through all the seams and then did the same thing inside the blind. I then sprayed a foot of two of the corner posts at the top of the platform the blind sits on.(blind is 7'off the ground) I sprayed the top two ladder rungs and then got back into the blind. The wind was ssw and I was hoping a deer would come down the fenceline that ran ssw from my blind and show me what jammer and the tape job could do.

At 4:55 a doe came into popped into the fence line at 100 yards out. What caught my attention was her raising her head into the air scenting. I reached for my binocs and took my eyes of the doe. When I looked back up I thought she was gone. There are tall weeds and switch along fence line on the side she was standing. I kept wishfully looking and suddenly she was 20 yards closer. I then saw she had a fawn with her. Both of them were doing the raising their heads/noses into the air scent checking trying to figure out what they were scenting. They did this all the way to the standing beans and then started feeding on the beans and rye slowly working their way to me, still directly downwind. The passed me at 5 yards and once past me they didn't do the head/nose in air check and continued feeding. They were in the field until a good 3 year old 4x4 came out and harassed them a bit. It wasn't a hard harass but they left. The buck walked their route that the pair had taken past me but in reverse. The buck even stopped downwind, smelling the ground where the doe walked. He never did the head/nose in air scent check the females did.

To me there is no other explanation for the deer not turning inside out except the jammer.

Please try to convince me this wasn't because of the jammer.

I've have a couple friends who had experiences similar to this but I was always skeptical. Now, not so much.

Sprays like that are last on my list for scent control. The first is good hygiene and showering before the hunt. Next is washing hunting clothes in sent free soap and putting them (after drying) into a hot dryer with the carbon suit. Next is sealing them in a plastic box and only putting them on when I'm ready to leave the truck and go afield. Next is keeping the distance from the truck to the stand short enough depending on temperature not to work up a sweat.

Wind is a very funny thing. Unless you use some kind of powder it is really hard to say what it is doing. I've had deer directly up wind from me sent me on rare occasion and deer directly down wind ignore me at close quarters. Anytime you are in a blind, the amount of human scent is significantly reduced. Human scent in and of itself does not spook deer. I have been in my stand and watched non-scent controlled squirrel hunters walk by and 30 minutes later watched deer follow their path completely calm. There has been some recent research on dogs sense of smell. It can probably be related to deer. They found dogs have "binocular" scent. Each nostril operates independently. They have a large section of their brain dedicated to scent as well as many more sensors in those long snouts. They basically create a 3d map of the world around them in scent much as we do with our binocular vision.

So, a deer's reaction to scent depends on a lot of factors including the concentration which is affected by many factors. Body heat causes scent to rise. Without a down draft, it may escape at the top of the blind and be diluted by the time it drops to their level.

Your description is what folks call a testimonial rather than hard evidence. The human brain tends to look for relationships to order the world and we tend to weight ad hoc experience much more heavily than we should.

Did the product affect the deer reaction? Maybe, maybe not. There are far too many variables to know. These products are certainly not miracle cures. Some product mask human scent by diluting it with other scents. Some try to neutralize it chemically by capturing it and making it less airborne. There are many techniques we can use to reduce the amount of human scent we produce. We can roughly play the wind, but I'm amazed at how complex air currents can be.

Thanks,

Jack

with the carbon suit

Sorry Jack - I can't pass this one up.

With all of the thinking you do, I'm surprised to see you believe in carbon suits. Are they single use suits? If not, I would be interested to hear how you remove the scent from them once they are full. And how you know when they are full?

Looking forward to your reply.

-John

Sorry Jack - I can't pass this one up.

With all of the thinking you do, I'm surprised to see you believe in carbon suits. Are they single use suits? If not, I would be interested to hear how you remove the scent from them once they are full. And how you know when they are full?

Looking forward to your reply.

-John

I've had very good personal experience with carbon suits. Heat causes some release, but you need to get it much hotter than practical for a full release. I'm not convinced that they work the way they are advertised. Some research suggests they don't. It may not be that the carbon actually absorbs the scent as much as blocks it from escape into the atmosphere. The suit I use is a one piece coverall with a carbon lining. The legs are tucked into rubber boots.

I don't believe carbon suites in and over themselves solve the scent issue. I believe it is the combination of scent control methods that significantly reduce the amount of scent that is available to the olfactory system of a deer. The jury is still out on whether they actually absorb scent as they were advertised to do for years. I am convince though that the carbon lining does provide a much better physical barrier than a simply cotton coverall. There may be other materials that are just as effective at blocking scent escape. I have not tried them.

The scent we give off comes from two sources, environmental scents that we pick up (fuel, chemicals, etc.), and excrement from bacteria that colonizes our bodies. Thorough washing with unscented and antibacterial soap right before hunting removes most from our bodies. Keeping hunting clothes in sealed containers keeps them from picking up environmental odors that deer associate with humans. Sweat feeds bacteria and minimizing it helps as well.

While I'm skeptical of the absorption claims of carbon suits, I'm convinced they are beneficial in controlling scent. As far as when they are full, mine are probably as full as they are going to get as far as absorbing odor. There is probably some release at dryer heat levels but not much. I think it is probably mostly the blocking factor that makes them effective.

Thanks,

Jack

I make my own scent jammer, essential red neck synthetic deer urine.

50# of UREA
5 gallons distilled water
home depot/menards buckets
ammonia

fill a menards bucket 1/2 way with urea
pour distilled water until it's near the top.
stir occasionally for 24 hours.
pour ONLY liquid back in distilled water jugs
use about two tablespoons of ammonia per jug

I then sweeten the jugs with a variety of scents whether territorial or HOT. I believe it works very good. I use this same concoction (literally) on my drags walking out. I use big drags, small hand towels and at least two of them. I have had many and MANY deer follow my drags . I make the "hot juice" for my buddies and they use it in their scent drippers too as do I. I carry a spray bottle that is a quart?? and I spray constantly on things in the stand. I don't spray myself, it stinks of urine! Many many many pictures of deer working scrapes with this stuff.

My next project is to figure out a way to get it into a solid. I am a firm believer in the ConQuest scents Ever Calm and Rutting Buck. I have seen deer do some amazing things on a overhang branch with Rutting Buck on it.

So if I am reading this right, you go around essentially spraying ammonia all over the place even while sitting on stand.
Like bigfoot came through an took a piss all over everything.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I tend to try to reduce my overall impact on the landscape every time I enter their environment.

I make my own scent jammer, essential red neck synthetic deer urine.

50# of UREA
5 gallons distilled water
home depot/menards buckets
ammonia

fill a menards bucket 1/2 way with urea
pour distilled water until it's near the top.
stir occasionally for 24 hours.
pour ONLY liquid back in distilled water jugs
use about two tablespoons of ammonia per jug

I then sweeten the jugs with a variety of scents whether territorial or HOT. I believe it works very good. I use this same concoction (literally) on my drags walking out. I use big drags, small hand towels and at least two of them. I have had many and MANY deer follow my drags . I make the "hot juice" for my buddies and they use it in their scent drippers too as do I. I carry a spray bottle that is a quart?? and I spray constantly on things in the stand. I don't spray myself, it stinks of urine! Many many many pictures of deer working scrapes with this stuff.

My next project is to figure out a way to get it into a solid. I am a firm believer in the ConQuest scents Ever Calm and Rutting Buck. I have seen deer do some amazing things on a overhang branch with Rutting Buck on it.

I had great luck using ever calm so I figured i give the rutting buck a try. While on stand I think it by far spooked more deer than it possibly attracted. I also used it on overhanging branches and also in the scrape itself. I got pictures but nothing like i have in the past with a dripper full of active scrape. As far as active scrape goes they must have changed something because it isnt what it used to be as far as attracting bucks to a scrape for trail cams.

I'm also of the thinking that no scent is better than anything. Scent was ban in my area this season because of CWD and if nothing else it will keep me from spending more money that I dont have.

Yeah....I just grab a handful of dirt and leaves and moss...maybe a spruce bough...and rub it into my pants and boots.

But to each his own. If you're into Nose Jammer or buckets of urea or Tinks 69 or whatever and you believe it works and it makes you feel better about the hunt...then go for it!

I don't use anything any more. Well ozone and I pick an apple and stomp on it before walking in.
But I do smear ever calm on licking branches that I tie down.
No clue if it helps but it doesn't seem to hurt.

In my deer camp, we dont have running water, so showers are only done every couple days during rifle season. So I have to be creative. I like to keep my clothes outside as much as possible, I will rub leaves and pine branches on them. Also after the first couple days, I will make a small fire and hang my orange by it. I really believe the smoke masks my scent. When you are limited with options for scent control, and you know after 3 straight days of hunting, your clothes smell like human badly, smoke seems to work well, for me anyhow.

I agree. Nothing "freshens" up hunting clothing like a campfire.

I'll back you on the Nose Jammer. Like everyone else says, I play the wind, shower with hunting soaps, carbon clothing, etc. I also like to spray my boots with nose jammer. It's not 100% but I do believe it has helped on a number of occasions.
I've got 3 other hunting buddies who started using it about 4 years ago too. Prior none of us got a wall hanger. Since, there have been 7 between us. We are definitely hunting better and smarter but nose jammer has not hurt!

I'll back you on the Nose Jammer. Like everyone else says, I play the wind, shower with hunting soaps, carbon clothing, etc. I also like to spray my boots with nose jammer. It's not 100% but I do believe it has helped on a number of occasions.
I've got 3 other hunting buddies who started using it about 4 years ago too. Prior none of us got a wall hanger. Since, there have been 7 between us. We are definitely hunting better and smarter but nose jammer has not hurt!

Keep in mind that many scents (either masking, attracting or curiosity) unless ubiquitous like smoke are used as part of a deer's associative process. When hunting on public ground that has significant hunting pressure, it is best to avoid popular scents. The more advertising associated with a scent and the more hunters that use it, the more chances deer have an opportunity to associate it with hunters.

As I say, in general, except for smoke in areas where fireplaces are commonly used, I prefer no scent to any scent. Scents that may work well for a while may suddenly have a negative impact as others begin to use them.

Thanks,

Jack

I liked Bill's subtle, "Well, ozone..."

I became a convert this year. I use carbon clothes and I agree with Jack that they appear to work, but likely not the way everybody thinks. It may be a filtration effect. However, this year I started treating all of my hunting clothes with ozone, using the back of my truck since I have a cap and hung a shower curtain rod across it. Once every two weeks I'd run the generator I got on Amazon for $60, only for an hour or so. Also, I didn't treat my boots since ozone is really bad for rubber.

I don't have solid data but even as a skeptical scientist I became convinced. Multiple times, I experienced deer downwind of the stand cut my trail, put their noses to the ground, and start scent checking. They knew I'd walked through. And yet straight downwind they couldn't pick me up, at least for the 15-20 seconds it took for them to sniff around. I had deer look straight at me in the stand and not react. My take home is that my boots still smell (Muck boots, washed with baking soda and sprayed down with scent control)...or maybe they can simply smell the disturbance to the ground, crushed grass or whatnot...but that ozone prevented them from busting me. So, I'm sure it's not perfect, but man if it gets me an extra 30 seconds, that's enough time for a good buck to close to within shooting distance. IMHO, scent-free is the way to go. Although the plants probably like the nitrogen boost from all that urea being spread around :emoji_grin:.

:) Thanks everyone for your two cents. We all have that. sorry I haven't replied sooner but I've been hunting hard:)

Jack, you're correct my statement was a testimonial not an experiment. There truly have been no scientific experiments showing any cover scent or clothing to stop a deer or a dog's nose. There has been plenty of people who have had bad experiences with each, who knows what those conditions were. The opposite can also be said. I know my conditions and where the wind was blowing and it will take a bad experience to change my mind. I have watched hunting shows where the hunters are hunting with ozone, and have all the latest scent busting tech but they have still been busted by deer. There is no sure fire way to stop human scent from spreading but I think the products mentioned helps lessen human odor to a point that make a deer sense danger is farther away and continue on their path.

Ozone is my number one defense but I will use the jammer with confidence in situations where scent control has been compromised.

There was no way for me to treat the duct tape with ozone so I know that scent was going to be there and am confident the jammer stunted its scent to allow the deer to stay unaware of me.

Another testimonial. My Dad shot a buck straight downwind a week and a half ago. It came into his scent stream, through it, and then back into it and then it got shot at 40 yards. I told Dad I couldn't believe he got the buck after telling me where it came from and he got lucky like he did last year with a buck coming in from downwind. He said it was his nose jammer. I asked him when he started using it and he said three years ago. He said he didn't tell me because of how I poo pood the idea of scent blocking/masking products. I told him I use it too and shared my duct tape story and am now further sold on NJs ability to help fool a deer's nose.

Good luck to all of you the rest of the season. I'll continue to use my ozone treated clothes prior to every hunt, washed in scent killing detergent, with a big spray down of scent killer and sit in my stand and hunt the wind but jammer will be in the pack.

My son and I used Nose Jammer once and watched deer scent it and make a beeline out of there. I gave Ever Calm a whirl this year and had the same effect other than does were snorting like crazy over it. I quit using it too. I am now done with those gimmicky things.