Norwegian apple orchards

Telemark

5 year old buck +
So I'm in a place called Ullensvang, and it is a local producer of apples, mostly for local products. The main types grown here are Gravenstein, Summered, Aroma, and Discovery. I got some scions for myself, since it's pruning season. Couldn't find anyone to ask about rootstocks, but I will come back in September to find out more. In the mean time, enjoy the photos.
20190302_124534.jpgreceived_2293584847586870.jpeg

Looks like they use crabapples for pollenizers.

Attachments

• 20190302_120911.jpg
    20190302_120911.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 23
Great looking scenery, Telemark !! Orchards look good. Must be tough to endure a trip in such a place !!

It's amazing here. The hotel is expensive, but it has great amenities and incredible food. There is trout fishing in the area, but not this time of year. I'm going to grab a few beers and go fish in the fjord til dinner time.

The orchards are interesting. They recently cut some trees, but they haven't grafted them over. I will bring a better camera next time and document more.

Here's the trees they cut off. Looks like they cut them above the graft. Presumably that would give them an interstem if they graft onto the existing cut. The piles of branches still have leaves, so it seems they were cut before the trees went dormant.

Attachments

• 20190302_120439.jpg
    20190302_120439.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 28
Got a couple cod.

Attachments

• 20190302_172408.jpg
    20190302_172408.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 27
The 2nd picture is rediuclous, this guy could sit there for hours....

Turns out they make a few single varietal ciders from Discovery apples, as well as several blends that focus on Discovery, Gravenstein, and James Grieve. These get good reviews and seem to be quite popular. It is recommended to use wild yeast for the best result, and brewers report the process can take up to 6 months PLUS a year to condition in the cellar. They say cider made with added yeast like M02 is very good but loses the unique character of the varieties.

Discovery, Aroma, Summerred, and Gravenstein are said to be particularly suited to the climate here, which is similar to that of the Pacific Northwest up through the coastal parts of Canada and Alaska. Not sure how many guys here are in those areas, but if anyone up there is interested, they also grow plums and sweet cherries, so I can get info on those as well. I didn't see a single pear tree, though pear cider is quite popular here.

Another note is that the "yellow" Gravenstein is favored over the "red" Gravenstein here for juice/cider.