Norway Spruce Screen Decisions

Depends what a "reasonable price" is. I bought two wolverine shovels but it seems i still haven't gotten the one @BuckSutherland is sweet on.

I got this one: https://pacforest.com/Item/19
and this one: https://pacforest.com/Item/21
But it seems I shoulda got this one: https://pacforest.com/Item/22

They were around $100 shipped when you add the foot pad deal to them.
I picked up the red long handled one from a different site. Price was a little higher but came with the foot pad so was only about 10 dollars more. Shipping was 21 something.
I am actually surprised that it is as light as it is being all steel. Only done a little goofing around with it so far. Should get some good use this weekend or next.

I've got the long red handled one with foot pad.....planted a bunch of fruit trees past two weeks. I kept going back to my old wood handle shovel.

I've got the long red handled one with foot pad.....planted a bunch of fruit trees past two weeks. I kept going back to my old wood handle shovel.
Because of weight or something else?

Because of weight or something else?

The weight if I’m going far, I can also feel the blade flex/pop if I’m digging a big scoop deep into clay.
I don’t get that with my old wood handle and it takes a bigger bite each shovel full….my oldy does creak and groan can’t believe I haven’t broken it yet.

I’m not giving up on the red handle wolverine, my oldest son bought it for me so it means twice as much to me for it to be awesome. I’ve got fifteen more apples to plant this weekend so I’m going to give it a work out.

Man I was actually thinking I might have to mow my yard this weekend. A couple of my neighbors already have. And here you guys are still talking about snow and frost.
Successfully avoided mowing last weekend but after 2 days of rain and now temps in the mid 70's it's going to be unavoidable this weekend

Successfully avoided mowing last weekend but after 2 days of rain and now temps in the mid 70's it's going to be unavoidable this weekend
Meanwhile at my hunting cabin in central minnesota today! It just won't stop. :(. Worried I won't be able to get my trees in the ground next weekend.

Attachments

• corncabin.jpg
    corncabin.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 15
Meanwhile at my hunting cabin in central minnesota today! It just won't stop. :(. Worried I won't be able to get my trees in the ground next weekend.
I enjoy winter, but not winter in April

I was down to just some snow banks left in my yard, and north facing slopes in the woods, then we just got an inch to cover everything back up today. The 7 day for cast has lows in the lower 20's, upper teens, and highs mostly in the upper 30's to lower 40's. I know I wont be able to plant much next weekend. Hopefully the weekend after though.

Here is a current picture off my back deck. Snowing pretty good again.

D16B6995-92F8-48A9-9926-96F16A00FEB9.jpeg

I would up buying the @BuckSutherland special from Pacforest with the step pad. After $40 to ship the total was $110. Not horrible, but it would have been nice if somebody local carried that style of shovel to save on the shipping.

Still some frost seeding opportunities with the forecast for the next week. I'm going to try putting some alfalfa down with my clover this evening and take advantage of the next week's worth of freezing and thawing.

Haha now we had snow flurries on Easter morning and I had to bring plants in overnight because it was supposed to get down to 27. Weather can't make up it's mind this year. Fortunately none of the fruit trees are blossoming yet.

3-5 inches of snow today with Cold Stream trees arriving later this week. Mid 70s by the weekend. Hoping to have trees in the ground by then.

I have about 2 fresh inches on the ground this morning. Winter just wont let go of its grip this year. But we havent had anything even close to 70, we havent had anything above mid 50's yet, and that was just a few times.

My mature fruit trees leafed out already but the newer ones were just starting before the weekend ...been away since Friday “recruiting” some help for future projects...10288131-F86D-4210-AE74-6DA5C7FC815D.jpeg
John Donald Robert Reese 7lbs 2 ounces and 19” of fire and fury. Moms doing great Dad is just trying to stay out of the way.

My mature fruit trees leafed out already but the newer ones were just starting before the weekend ...been away since Friday “recruiting” some help for future projects...View attachment 42435
John Donald Robert Reese 7lbs 2 ounces and 19” of fire and fury. Moms doing great Dad is just trying to stay out of the way.
Awesome Congrats.

My mature fruit trees leafed out already but the newer ones were just starting before the weekend ...been away since Friday “recruiting” some help for future projects...View attachment 42435

Awesome.... You plant them now and he can sit under the shade 30 years from now and tell his kids about all the work you did.

That is fantastic!!!! Congrats...what a great looking little helper!

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not great pictures, but my norway spruce got winter burn at a much higher percentage then any of my other trees. Just seems like such a pansy for the first 5 years on my land. Pines seem to be much tougher then spruce and fir on my land. We have very little topsoil and then copious amounts of sticky smeary clay.

IMG_8485.JPGIMG_8501.JPG

^^^ I've noticed the same thing in SE MN. The best norways I've had coming out of winter are heavily protected on their west side from a screen of switchgrass that gathers a living snow fence. This must give the tree some thermal protection from the wind/weather and help it resist the winter elements a little better.