Non traditional plantings

S.T.Fanatic

5 year old buck +
I have a small plot that I'm throwing some ideas around on what to plant. I'm thinking just put it into beans and be done with it as the plot about 200 yrds to the East will also be beans and having the second plot will extend the life of the plot. The plot to the East is a plot that we have a box blind set up about 125 yds to the South that we hunt during the late black powder season. The issue with that is however, it puts deer in two different location for late season instead of concentrating them. (the other plot doesn't set up well for hunting because of having to sit basically right on top of the plot)

This brings me to the point of the post. What have you guys done in terms of "non traditional" plots?

I'm thinking of doing a "forb" plot. I think a mix of Small Burnet, Chicory, and Plantain. This plot will be getting tilled and planted with a nurse crop of some sort. I want some extra ground coverage but don't want anything that will be overly competitive. Thinking small amounts of annual clover, oats, and sugar beets.

Thoughts?

I always wanted to have a big sweet clover plot. I think that would be excellent late season cover. I planted a quarter acre of it up in my road plot (30 yards from the road and not very protected yet). I also put hairy vetch in it, and I wish I hadn't. I'm afraid that hairy vetch is gonna pull everything to the ground. There's a hot rate of rye in there too.

I wanted this for cover up by the road, rye in the early summer, sweet clover in late summer and into early winter.

When do you plant sweet clover? Fall? Spring?

thanks

bill

When do you plant sweet clover? Fall? Spring?

thanks

bill
I planted mine first weekend in August in zone 3. Yellow is supposed to be fall, white in spring.

I'd pass on the beets. Think they'll shade the perennial plants your trying to grow too much. Oats, I wouldn't go over maybe 30lb an acre. I've always used crimson clover in a clover mix, so not sure how much you'd want in there. In my experience it grows a little faster than medium red.

I have egnlish plantain growing in my home plot naturally. I tried to get a pic of it this winter. Deer ate it all up, it'll be back in the spring though. I can't comment of boston plantain, but both english and common plantain are very hard to kill once established. Haven't drowning it in rye, but spraying roundup alone will not make it disappear. Likely will have to nuke the spot to get rid of it. Combo of herbicides, herbicide then burn.

I want to plant the same thing in one or two plots up at camp. However, I want to battle with mace sedge this summer. The stuff I plan to use will likely kill young perennials "weeds". Basagran might not kill oats or wheat though.

If you find a place that sells burnet by itself, pass the info along.

An oddball food plot I always wnated to try is lupine. Deer way up north in canada enjoy it.

I'd pass on the beets. Think they'll shade the perennial plants your trying to grow too much. Oats, I wouldn't go over maybe 30lb an acre. I've always used crimson clover in a clover mix, so not sure how much you'd want in there. In my experience it grows a little faster than medium red.

I have egnlish plantain growing in my home plot naturally. I tried to get a pic of it this winter. Deer ate it all up, it'll be back in the spring though. I can't comment of boston plantain, but both english and common plantain are very hard to kill once established. Haven't drowning it in rye, but spraying roundup alone will not make it disappear. Likely will have to nuke the spot to get rid of it. Combo of herbicides, herbicide then burn.

I want to plant the same thing in one or two plots up at camp. However, I want to battle with mace sedge this summer. The stuff I plan to use will likely kill young perennials "weeds". Basagran might not kill oats or wheat though.

An oddball food plot I always wnated to try is lupine. Deer way up north in canada enjoy it.
Both lupine and sweet clover are supposed to be great for bees( according to what Ive read)

I have no experience with either one

bill

Also Albert Lea Seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have planted small burnet in a clover mix before and it persisted for several years. I never noticed that deer ate it, even when it was the only green thing growing during a cold winter.
I live in PA so our winters aren't that bad comparably to some of you, so I wonder if it would get hit more in a harsher, colder place.

Both lupine and sweet clover are supposed to be great for bees( according to what Ive read)

I have no experience with either one

bill
I have a field of sweet, blue lupine planted. I will post some pictures this spring. It’s my first time also.

Thanks guys lea has both plantain and burnet. Not the typical boston plantain there either.

Wondering if this mix can be fall planted, or it needs an entire year of growth to survive a zone 3/4 winter. The place I want to plant it could use a year of soil improvement anyway.

Spring planting would be best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a field of sweet, blue lupine planted. I will post some pictures this spring. It’s my first time also.

When and how did you plant?

Do you keep bees?

bill