All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Till Drill Info

what are the pros/cons of pull behind v. 3 point drills?

bill
Not sure but, after using a pull behind on my plots...I want a 3 point. I don’t have big fields so a pull behind is a giant pain

bill
I used pull behind on my ATV and 3 point on the tractor. The ability to lift the implement and backup makes maneuverability PHENOMENALLY easier. In smaller plots, I pull one direction, lift the implement, back up to the other side, lower, then pull forward again on the next row. No turning around.

I like my pull behind. But I’ve never tried a 3PT drill. Just hooking it up would seem easier to me. Back up, drop a pin, done..

Used a pull behind yesterday for the first time. There's some overlap when you're not in perfectly squared off fields. But I think the pull behinds are generally heavier and do a better job at getting the seed down where it needs to be. But that's coming from a guy with 1 days experience on it.

Did have a ball though. 12 acres of switchgrass in the ground. Here's to not knowing for 12 months if I did a decent job or not

bill

Biggest con for 3pt is that you cant operate a quality mid-sized unit with an average food plotting tractor because it is too heavy. Generally you need a heavy 60+ HP tractor before the 3pts become a good option.
Pro for the draw style is that you can easily pull something like the GP 706NT with a 50hp tractor.