No Till Drill Info

They aren't no-till. Depending on your soil type, they could probably still be used in a no-till application.

gotcha... They looked like a no till and a couple places had them listed as such. No if I'm gonna do it, I want to do it right

Some of the solid stand drills have had a tool bar added to the tongue with no till coulters. The only ones I've seen just have double disc openers, but not no-till coulters.

Just out of curiosity, what's the reason the Great Plains Solid Stand models are so much cheaper? I can't find much info on them and it looks like they're older. Will they plant everything?

I figured someone more knowledgable then me would have an answer for you. I guess not, so here is my input.

The value of a 2005 Jeep Cherokee is going to be substantial less than a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee even though each may or may not be fully functional every day drivers. In the same way, a GP 1995 Solid Stand 10 is going to be less than a GP 2010 1006NT even though each may or not be field ready, every season planters.

More specifically, just as options matter when buying a Jeep, they matter when buying a drill. For example, many 1006NTs come with three boxes, small, large and NWSG; however, few of the Solid Stands will have all those options.

In summary, the Solid Stands are older and general have less options. However, that does not mean they cant fill your NT needs perfectly as long as you dont need the absolutely best drill available on the market.

E98F11D6-D7C2-4A37-8937-D21433FBCB10.jpeg

Last edited:
One more thing...the model for the Solid Stand 10 is EWNT10 for a reason. That reason is that they are end-wheel (EW) no-till (NT) ten foot (10) drills. F238D118-688B-455E-A70C-1D27B1C16CF3.jpeg

Just listed a Great Plains 3P606NT on TractorHouse if anyone is interested. Well, I guess TractorHouse needs to approve the add before it goes live.

Last edited:
The entire wall in front of the drill is all doors on rollers. You just roll the door open.

The entire wall in front of the drill is all doors on rollers. You just roll the door open.

How did you like this drill? Any complaints?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you like this drill? Any complaints?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It took me a little bit to adjust the depth setting but once I got that done it worked well. I have a Genesis 8 and the extra 2 feet just makes things go quicker so that is why I am selling the Great Plains

Size differences aside, can you compare performance of the GP and Genesis, since you’ve used both?

Size differences aside, can you compare performance of the GP and Genesis, since you’ve used both?
I would say I like the Genesis8 better on my property. It is easier to calibrate and adjust seed depth. It also has a spring loaded drive wheel which is nice on my uneven plots. I have a lot of hilly land here and the spring loaded drive wheel stays in contact better that the Great Plains. If you have flat land then the Great Plains will work good.

Full disclosure, I'm a GP guy. I wouldn't own a drill without a large seed and a small seed box. Does the Genesis, I was thinking it's just one box? One thing that is really slick is the calibration box or whatever it has. Very slick feature.

It only has the one box but it can meter out pretty much anything from clover to corn. I plant a mix in fall and it has clover and cereal rye and it spreads it perfectly

Local Pheasants Forever chapter rented us their drill and heck, even delivered it for us. 6' Truax w/ 2 boxes and a fertilizer box. Its a pull behind, not a 3 point. Anyone used that brand? It is outta minnesota I believe. Looks like a pretty stout little machine. But i'm a total greenhorn.

Took a vacation day for tomorrow and am gonna go run the thing. I'm more excited about this than Christmas morning. Literally.

what are the pros/cons of pull behind v. 3 point drills?

bill