Nitrogen fixation

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
How long does red or crimson clover need to be growing before it can be terminated for nitrogen usage by the following crop? And how do soybeans compare in nitrogen fixation amounts?

I'm looking to plant something in a .5 acre spot that will be brassicas in the fall, and would like to increase available notrogen.

Only tested my ph with a free test from Antler King. The kind where you mix some soil up with water and stick in the test strip. Came out at 6.2, but don't know how accurate that is. Everything grew well last year, but the turnips had some yellow leaves which I was told means low nitrogen.

I feel like the antler king test is fairly accurate as long as you use distilled water. The reason being it's neutral assures the acidity is from the dirt and not the water too. However if your worried about more than just the ph of your soil than the antler king test doesn't really compare to a real soil test.

I used distilled. Not worried about anything really. Still grew turnips the size of softballs. Just would like to plant something to add nitrogen, if it will have enough time.

There are guys more qualified than me to answer your question but I would think crimson might be your best option for more nitrogen in the ground asap. I am sure all of this would depend on planting dates though. When it goes into the ground and then when you want to plant your brassica mix. I am not sure how long it takes to see any real benefits or cost savings. I have always been interested in this question myself... I am thinking about planting brassicas in the same plot for the third year in a row even though I know that's a big no-no... :oops:

......the above mix (and a little arrow leaf clover) is idiot proof in my sandy loam soils

bill

Sounds good Mo. Should grow well in my soil as I don't have any clay. About 6 inches of good dirt covering sand below. How early can I plant an oat/crimson blend? My average last frost date is May 15th.

Sunn Hemp. 145 # of actual N in 60 days. Be sure to terminate at 60 days or the stalks will be to tough to break down. A late May early June planting will have you ready for an August 1 fall plot plant date.

Last edited:
Sun Hemp works great for N fixing, just not as easy to work with for terminating and over seeding brassica's into.

Anybody have experience with it? I do not but was thinking of planting some this spring. I have access to a tractor with rough cut mower and a 60" tiller. I was assuming that if it was mowed up good tillage wouldn't be an issue.

Sunn Hemp can be expensive and the seed is not always easy to obtain. There are cheaper options that are just as good and easier to get.

The 50 lbs. oats / 12 lbs. Crimson mix ......... is that for 1/2 acre ?? ( the OP's stated plot size )

Any Wisconsin people know where a guy could pickup a bag of crimson clover in central Wisconsin? (wausau - point)

C&B Feed in wautoma. I don't know any feed stores or coops up your way.

Sunn hemp sounds nice but don't sell it around here that i know of.

Jay-Mar, Inc. in Plover is a likely place to look. They carry many kinds of seed for plotting and sell in small quantities. I would give them a call to see if they have any crimson in stock or will be getting any before spring.

Welter's ships small quantities. We get small amounts from them each spring.

Thanks Mo, for the seeding rate for the Crimson and oats on previous page.

Up in Wausau there is Marthaton Town and Country next to Fleet Farm.

Or try Amazon.

Up in Wausau there is Marthaton Town and Country next to Fleet Farm.

Or try Amazon.
This is where I get a lot of my seed. I don't recall crimson clover being available though.