Next year's plot Ideas

Rlsbowhunt

5 year old buck +
We currently hunt 2 separt propertys, 200 acre and 300 acre farms. Currently both farms have multiple smaller plots, clover, brassicas, rye. My thought is to do away with the smaller plot and create a larger 8+ acre plot on each farm, consisting of soybeans and Milo, and broadcasting rye and radish in the fall. Right now each property has 4-5 plots. What do you think?

I would stick with the smaller plots and more of them personally. Gives you more chances took hook the correct wind and access to a really good spot. You might limit yourself with just one big plot. Also think there would be less social pressure with more smaller plots so the doe groups would be visually separated. Up where I hunt the does are just brutal to each other in the food plots. The fights are real and they chase each other off hard sometimes.

I agree small plots set up for different winds or deer is what I would do.I have bucks that almost never make it to other end of farm so if I had 1 plot you will be limited

I don't have much experience, as this was my 2nd year food plotting. I only have a hundred and thirty acres, predominantly overgrown fields. There is hunting pressure on all sides bordering. I chose one plot with about 7 acres so I can dedicate the other acreage for cover, habitat improvement and sanctuary. I am limited on days when the wind is from the south or east. But perhaps you can arrange your other farm to work out 4 varying wind scenarios.

Partitioning the large plot with shrubs,miscanthus,etc will decrease tensions between competing doe families

bill

Small plots in my opinion are better hunting plots. Partly because they can be hunted for different winds, variety but the biggest reason is deer feel more secure on smaller plots and will utilize them more during daylight hours. If you want to feed deer (mainly at night) then go with large fields. If you want security for the deer and plots that will draw during daylight hours then stick with the smaller, long, narrow 1/2 acre plots or smaller.

Last edited:
We currently hunt 2 separt propertys, 200 acre and 300 acre farms. Currently both farms have multiple smaller plots, clover, brassicas, rye. My thought is to do away with the smaller plot and create a larger 8+ acre plot on each farm, consisting of soybeans and Milo, and broadcasting rye and radish in the fall. Right now each property has 4-5 plots. What do you think?
Completely depends on your goals and what you are trying to accomplish.

I also like more smaller plots. The only downfall to that is if you are planting beans or corn they can get wiped out pretty quickly vs one large plot. Maybe do a 4 acre plot of corn or beans, then a couple smaller plots of clover/brassica

Completely depends on your goals and what you are trying to accomplish.
This is true I should have explained better in my original post. Right now most of the plot are on the perimeter of the property due to cattle pasture in the center of both properties. So most of the deer are traveling from our neighbors to the edges of our property, making it difficult to get deer to come out in daylight, and pulling deer past the nieghbors that hunt.
The idea would be to plant a larger interior plot, fencing off some cattle pasture and letting the edges of the property grow up a little for more cover. The larger food plot on one property would actually spread out over three different large ridges and pull deer from all different directions the other would also pull deer from multiple directions so it could be hunted in multiple winds.
Most of the things i have read lean towards a larger interior plot vs scattering smaller plots across the property. I would probably still plant a couple smaller plots. Also the way the fencing would be done deer wouldnt have to cross the pasture to get to it. Thanks for your input.

This is true I should have explained better in my original post. Right now most of the plot are on the perimeter of the property due to cattle pasture in the center of both properties. So most of the deer are traveling from our neighbors to the edges of our property, making it difficult to get deer to come out in daylight, and pulling deer past the nieghbors that hunt.
The idea would be to plant a larger interior plot, fencing off some cattle pasture and letting the edges of the property grow up a little for more cover. The larger food plot on one property would actually spread out over three different large ridges and pull deer from all different directions the other would also pull deer from multiple directions so it could be hunted in multiple winds.
Most of the things i have read lean towards a larger interior plot vs scattering smaller plots across the property. I would probably still plant a couple smaller plots. Also the way the fencing would be done deer wouldnt have to cross the pasture to get to it. Thanks for your input.

I was looking at things from a bigger perspective. If QDM is an objective where sufficient scale is available, I'd offer very different advise and ask very different questions than if improving hunting is your objective. I'm taking it from your post above, you are focused more on the hunting aspects.

I would not plant a single large plot at the center of the property. I find that deer tend to use smaller plots during shooting hours much more than large plots. One trade off is equipment transport. One can plant a large field much more efficiently since equipment transport is not required. One way to skin the cat is to create one large multi-acre field, and then subdivide it with perennial visual blocks between the sections. This has the advantage of collocating a significant food source but making it more huntable. Even if you are hunting near the border where deer are buried, if earlier they feel comfortable using the food source, they will leave the bedding cover earlier.

Before you decide on the specific location, consider the cover from bedding to food. If there are large holes of open area, deer will tend to wait until later to cross these. So, make sure you position the plots where there are good transition and staging cover areas between food and cover.

Another thing to consider is your soil. We have several soil types on our farm and some soils are much more fertile than others. That can reduce the amount of inputs and effort required.

It is also a good idea to include your location/USDA zone in your profile. Strategies can be quite different depending on region. I'm in central VA in zone 7a. Here, soybeans are a great summer food source if you are dong QDM but not a big attractant during our hunting season. In the north, the pods can be a great fall attractant. If you are in my area or further south, I'd save your money on the beans if you are not doing QDM and focus on soil health and weed control with anything you plant in the spring and focus on attraction for fall planted crops. You can balance the amount of perennials verses annuals based on your time and resource availability. If you are further north, I'll let others provide specific crop advise.

Best of luck,

Jack

Typically larger plots are used for feeding deer. This is because the larger area you can tend to produce more tonnage and can be more difficult to hunt. Smaller plots tend to be more for hunting purposes. If your looking at a larger plot that is fine. Look at planting something that will have the greatest impact on your deer (If I had to make a suggestion I would say soybeans - great summer forage, great winter grain AND you can over seed with brassica and cereal grains). Then off of the main feeding plot put you some kill plots of hunting season specific foods...these are the "snacks/junk food" so to speak, while the "main course" will be your larger plot. Then only hunt the smaller plots and don't pressure the larger plot so the deer feel safe there. Put your kill plots along route between the bedding areas and this large plot and use some other techniques to help guide the deer along the path you desire as well. Might want to add some fruit trees or water hole to those kill plots as well. Don't put everything in one spot...you want the deer to move.