All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next years plans

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I was just wondering what some of you guy's plans are for land improvements next year. As I am sitting here at work day dreaming about deer hunting, I have a small list that I plan on doing next year, and usually my list is a mile long. I am sure while I am sitting in deer stand observing the things I want to change my list will grow, but for now, there is only a few things.

Other then the usual soil samples, fertilize, and plant, my plans will start right after deer hunting this year, with some select cut logging, and thinning out the Aspen, and Maples, along with the pines that dont have branches lower then 10 feet. Then late winter I will do some more TSI on my own with hinge cutting some smaller trees, and making some thick areas. Expanding my food plot to allow sun in it from the south during the fall. Then digging a small pond about 50 feet around. I also plan on building a new stand for my son next summer as well. And thats about it! In reality it will probably take all year to do, but in past years my list has been to large to conquer, this year it seems achievable at this point.

What is on your list of plans for next season?

I am big into chestnuts right now

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm using chestnut trees to segregate and screen a large food plot into smaller sections .....using Dunstan's and have 15 in so far ....growing about 50 this year from seed that will go in next fall .......

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My plan is about the same as it has been for the last 4-5yrs, start a couple hundred oaks and chestnuts in RM in the house in the spring, plant 500-1000 trees and shrubs I used to plant more but the last couple years I've went to bigger plugs to try and get a quicker result. My plots have been pretty much set since I went to the LC mix/rotation, I am still working on a sorghum mix for screening and food so I'll tweek it some. Late winter early spring I'll do some more hinge cutting for more bedding and thicker cover.

There is one thing I forgot about, planting trees. I do plan on planting a few more apple trees, and probably another hundred or so pines. I should have capped the white pines I planted this spring, but I don't plan on doing it now until after deer hunting, then it will depend on how much snow we have on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My priority plan is to really spend the winter learning my new land. It's small but I haven't been all over it yet. I'm sure there's stuff there that I'm totally unaware of.

I want to widen my food plot trails in a few places to let more light in. Have to lime a lot. There's an old clear cut that I want to clear out for a more traditional food plot. Maybe a half acre or so. I want to try my hand at hinge cutting bedding areas but want to learn the land better before I just jump into that. I'd like to dig a waterhole or two. I've dreamt about a small orchard. I haven't had any trespassing issues that I'm aware of yet but I want to do a more comprehensive posting than just purple paint. I want to build a nice fire pit. I'd like to gravel and cleanup my campground area. In other words, I have years of projects. I'm pretty good at prioritizing and finishing one before I start another one so its just about making choices.

Last edited:
Someday Isle
Be sure to put on the list to walk your new land all around a few times in the spring timed a few weeks apart when the trees and shrubs start to blossom. I have found apples and pear on my land years later after owning it when some logging or other change suddenly allows more sun to reach areas and they bloom for the first time in who knows when.

That's a great idea. I know my neighbor has a couple persimmon trees and I found two crab apples this year. Both right on the fenceline though. One on my side and one on the other side. I'd love to find a few more scattered through that area.

Someday Isle
Be sure to put on the list to walk your new land all around a few times in the spring timed a few weeks apart when the trees and shrubs start to blossom. I have found apples and pear on my land years later after owning it when some logging or other change suddenly allows more sun to reach areas and they bloom for the first time in who knows when.
Great suggestion. That's the time of year to identify different species. During the summer everything green just blends together.

Putting a couple cedar wood duck nest boxes up on the new ponds this winter. I'm going to put in around twenty more apple/pear trees and keep working on my privacy screen along the road I have around 200 4'-5' Norway's/White pine/hemlocks ordered for early spring for it. Pre ordered some persimmon and hazelnuts to try.
Also going to direct seed and grow in pots some chestnuts this winter/spring and I'm working on a native grass project. About 90% sure I'm going to put some bee boxes in the big orchard in the spring too.

I may even try my hand at some grafting in the spring.

• Do my normal spring mowing routine in the NWSGs
  • Whack some yotes after the mowing
  • Do some drive by shooting with herbicides on some small brier patches I noticed forming at a few places this year in NWSGs
  • Add about 10 - 15 more fruit trees (persimmon, apple, pear)
  • Move some seedling chestnuts from home to the farm
  • Graft some more male persimmons and top work a few apples and pears
  • Do some minor maintenance in my 12 acre tree planting to promote oaks and pines
  • Plant several fruit and nut trees (for human consumption) on my son's new 11 acres he bought this year that joins my farm
  • Do some pruning and shaping on established fruit trees
  • Maintain perennial food plots as necessary

1. Planting 200 miscanthus giganteous rhyzomes. Wish I could afford more as it will probably take at least twice that many to screen the two sides of my food plot that need it.
2. Direct seed 30 of wpbdeer's chinese chestnuts. The rest will go into rootmaker express 18's.
3. Broadcasting crimson clover over most of my food plot area to try and add in some nitrogen. Still need to do some research on this to see how long it needs to be growing for in order to get the most benefit, as it'll then be planted in the LC mixes in the fall.
4. Putting in some buckwheat and sunflowers in the spring to keep the deer coming around all year.
5. Planting about a half dozen more of both apples and pears.
6. Win the powerball so I can afford to buy a big farm! LOL

I am putting a way overdue road screen. I started this year by spraying a few weeks ago. I had great success last year transplanting native spruce thanksgiving week. If I have time I will do it again this year. I pulled a handful this weekend. Some of these spruce up to 3' tall I can pull right out. It allows me to plant a much bigger tree than I can order, and they are free!
80601829c6efbbf282a043f8ec27a3ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Continue my fight against some enemies ...Canada Thistle, Oriental Bittersweet, Privet, Grape vines, and Mile-a-Minute.
Improve soil fertility ...need to raise the K.
Keep my eyes open for a decent chisel plow.
And not exactly habitat work, but my barn is due for new shingles.

Well my plans have somewhat been on track. I did my hinge cutting that I planned on doing, I didnt get to capping my pine trees, and I am regretting it. There is only a few that didnt get eaten to the stub. Spring will bring a pond I hope.

LOL, just looked back at my post from October....I said, plant 10-15 more trees............................really????

Then why have I already planted 8 and have 30 more ordered.........

Oh well..................I guess I'm not a good estimator.........

Last edited:
I have already planted about a dozen trees and hopefully will do that many more this weekend. Most of them are chestnuts.
I hope to get some logging done.
Expand food plots.
Add on to the cabin.

Unofficially my plans have changed a bit. I was contemplating on having a logger go in and take out the mature popple and maple trees, then changed my mind, and now still unsure. They were suppose to go in this winter, but they filled their contracts up already and prices have plummeted. So that pushed logging off until next winter. But now my wife and I are discussing building our retirement house on the land, with plans on moving onto it in less then 5 years. We were planning on burning wood in an outdoor boiler, so logging out the mature lumber would not be a wise decision. While popple, and maple arent ideal wood for burning, they work decent in outdoor burners. Our plans for the summer are now to figure out what we want to build, where, and how we want it built. Putting all the plans together, getting an approximate total, and getting bids for the work. Exciting, but frustrating times ahead.

FWIW, maple burns well for me. I cut it to stove length, split & stack it so it dries real well, and it burns great. Over 30 years I've saved a TON of money for heat.

Congrats on the house plans !! It's cool to plan & build what you want.