New stand set, Bartylla style.

Bill

Administrator
I can't wait til November if there is piglet using this area.

Put a stand in what once off limits sanctuary. I say Bartylla style because I got permission from the neighbor to access it from his pasture to the north. 60 yards into the woods and I'm just picking at the edges.
fc54cbc1a2538ae95d8d727d0e7209f2.jpg

This was all hinge cut several years ago and is filling in nicely. Stand needs some cover added to the tree so I'm not sitting on a telephone pole but it's a start.

Stands at the top so the wind won't swirl. Going to need a S something wind but last year that was nearly every frigin day and I didn't have enough S wind stands.
9f9a08b57643502697481b5e28745e0d.jpg

20ad12c5bcb16eef7d0819061e913974.jpg

Stand pics don't show it but it's getting pretty thick in here.

6b46279f96f2191940174aa4d689d7de.jpg

fbf9f7e53d27d5a42673b3db321e4ac8.jpg

I need to open some better trails where I want them to pass the stand but activity is somewhat heavy through here.

068d9e16b8490652f346c5d6bd8f598e.jpg

May never produce but I'm liking it on paper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's it.
The places I opened more got thicker. I'm happy with it for the most part. Getting lots of white oak and cedars.
The bad regen is MFR, hickory and locust. It's impossible to walk through it without coming out bleeding. I'm not sweating the MFR like a lot of guys would. I didn't plant it and the deer seem to use it.

Looks like a sweet spot come November.

Nice! Looks like a great spot Bill.

Good looking stand placement, good luck.

Nice move, can't wait to read the success story this fall!

nice... so what is your dpsm?

Not really sure to be honest. The only thing I could find for our county was 33.1/sq mile in 2014. People were 10/square mile.
No way there are 33 deer per mile around me. There wouldn't be anywhere for them to live once the corn came off the fields. The people per square mile is high for the neighborhood too. There's only 5 of us in my square mile and I'm part time.

What ladder stand is that?

Nice to get white oak to regen and can understand the deer liking the MFR. They have pretty thick coats and probably doesn't bother them much at all. I have some pretty thick spots with prickly ash and deer definitely like to travel thru those areas too

What ladder stand is that?

Best stand I've ever used. Discontinued now but it's a BigGame legend. I've got 6 of them I'm hoping last a long time. Their heavy as a box of rocks but if you use a 4 wheeler to hoist them up its a cinch. I wish I knew they where discontinuing them I'd would have bought more.

I have to find a new 20 foot ladder that's comfortable and sturdy.

Best stand I've ever used. Discontinued now but it's a BigGame legend. I've got 6 of them I'm hoping last a long time. Their heavy as a box of rocks but if you use a 4 wheeler to hoist them up its a cinch. I wish I knew they where discontinuing them I'd would have bought more.

I have to find a new 20 foot ladder that's comfortable and sturdy.

I just bought two Rivers Edge Uppercut stands. They're still in the box but hope to get them up next weekend.

I've always hunted from hang ons but gradually going to get more ladder stands.

Bill - A neat little trick I picked up to help with "telephone pole" stands is to cut a small tree that likes to hold it's leaves (for me that's beech or oak) when the leaves are still green and then pull that tree up and strap it to the tree behind your stand (on the back side of the tree). I tend to take a climber up into my ladder stands so I can get higher up and then use a rope and pulley system to haul the sapling up trunk end first. I then use a ratchet strap to hold and position the sapling where I want it. It creates what I call "back cover" it helps hide your profile against the sky and make small movements not so easy to see from a distance. In some cases I pull up more than one to create something that sort of encloses the stand a little more.

Looks great Bill. Fortunately those Missouri deer don't seem to look up very often!

Any activity from your Miscanthus or Switch yet? I hope not, I'm hoping to hit mine with gly and simazine next week.

J-bird,
Good idea. I've used cedar and it always tears me up. Shingle oak holds its leaf and there is plenty of that around.

MN Slick,
Ain't that the truth.

Bill, that's awesome! I love it when I can either take advantage of a deer funneling erosion ditch that pinches up relatively close to open field or some form of manufactured feature that's just 20-50ish yards into the woods, disturbing next to no deer cover and offering a safe wind, WHILE ALSO hunting like it's smack dab in the middle of the cover.

J bird is offering good advice and shingle oak is a great choice for brushing in telephone pole like trees.