New cams for 2021

Anyone have knowledge of the Barn Owl cell cams?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Most cell cams do not take pictures if it’s transmitting. So I’m sure that could contribute. I don’t of any camera, cell or not that nails subjects on every trigger.
^this. Every brand/model is different but if you have a cell cam set to transmit photos immediately there is a good chance that you’re missing additional photos when it’s transmitting.

That’s one think I really like about ridgetec cams, you can really fine tune when and how long the pir sensor is inactive for transmitting photos.

We have 6 of the new brownings and just got them set out. So far I’m worried we might have issues with reception. I’ve gotten some very pixilated thumbnails when presumably the service was lackluster. The bummer is you can’t put a better antenna on this model.

I think most cell cams are like that- being able to choose the delay between pictures, and choose to have the pics sent after a certain # and/or once or twice a day or every couple of hours or whatever the cam allows. I currently have my Tactacam set at a 10 sec delay on a trail where they walk past and I've gotten 3 or more pics within the same minute on the timestamp- having them sent asap. So it seems to be working ok. Setting it to send a couple of times a day would save the battery a bit though. Cuddeback doesn't even allow to send asap if I remember correctly..which makes more sense when you have a # of them linked together.

Bushnell's non-cellular 4K cam mentioned earlier in this thread is now available..for anyone interested.

The Tactacam Reveal X Verizon version is now available online at Camping World and Gander Outdoors. $132 plus tax, free shipping.
I ordered one up to try.

We have 6 of the new brownings and just got them set out. So far I’m worried we might have issues with reception. I’ve gotten some very pixilated thumbnails when presumably the service was lackluster. The bummer is you can’t put a better antenna on this model.
Following up on this input - these cameras have been terrible. 3 of them just lose power randomly. Thumbnail pictures are terrible, pixilated to the point of uselessness. One went through 16 new energizer lithiums in a couple weeks presumably because it was trying to work through some of it's functionality issues. Browning sent a new software file to upload to fix the issues, the cameras wouldn't take the upload. They said they sent us the wrong file and to try this new one.. All of this is very frustrating when these cams are located 3+ hours away and set in areas we intentionally want to limit human presence but we've had to return a bunch of times to troubleshoot cams. I have a baby due soon and am limited on ability to travel or I would have picked them up and returned them and spent extra coin on more Ridgetecs.

Following up on this input - these cameras have been terrible. 3 of them just lose power randomly. Thumbnail pictures are terrible, pixilated to the point of uselessness. One went through 16 new energizer lithiums in a couple weeks presumably because it was trying to work through some of it's functionality issues. Browning sent a new software file to upload to fix the issues, the cameras wouldn't take the upload. They said they sent us the wrong file and to try this new one.. All of this is very frustrating when these cams are located 3+ hours away and set in areas we intentionally want to limit human presence but we've had to return a bunch of times to troubleshoot cams. I have a baby due soon and am limited on ability to travel or I would have picked them up and returned them and spent extra coin on more Ridgetecs.

Bummer to hear. Pretty much sums up my experience with inexpensive cameras as well. Pick a brand, they're all the same..

IMO the Spartan GoCam for $300 is the best bang for the buck in a cell camera. Again, just my opinion.. :emoji_slight_smile:

The Tactacam Reveal X Verizon version is now available online at Camping World and Gander Outdoors. $132 plus tax, free shipping.
I ordered one up to try.

I'm surprised no one here, that I remember, has given feedback on that cam. My original Reveal is still working great..may get their built-in solar one if it ever comes out, or Stealth's DS4K. Plan to stick with white and black flash for any new purchases.

Btw..I noticed Cuddeback/link does now or maybe always did have the option for pics to be sent after each pic is taken, or 2 etc. Same for Spypoint..my Cell-Link now has a setting for "each detection".

Bummer to hear. Pretty much sums up my experience with inexpensive cameras as well. Pick a brand, they're all the same..

IMO the Spartan GoCam for $300 is the best bang for the buck in a cell camera. Again, just my opinion.. :emoji_slight_smile:
We have 9 Spartans now. 2 Ghosts and 7 GoCams (3 or which were from the "open box" program). They work great and I have no complaints! Now Spartan has Shared Data so I can have 5 cameras on one plan (up to 9). Their open box cameras are $230 and still come with the 2 year warranty. The Cameras have picture and Video at the same time if you want. Weve had a couple little issues but nothing Spartan didnt help us figure out right away! FWIW I love the Spartans. Also I get a lot of pics way off in the distance even on low sensitivity, I dont feel they miss much. Certainly not any more than the competitors.

Also, just FYI, for those of you who like the white flash cams. I ordered 2 Spartan Lumens at $139 each. They are a non-cellular, white flash LED cam and im very amazed at how they are setup. Very Very nice little cameras and take incredible pictures!

Had the Spartan white flash cellular out last Fall and had no problems. I read somewhere if you have Verizon you can just add the camera to your plan. Not sure if you still get the pics via the app then or what...? Also just got a Lumen as well..same price and no shipping or tax. Will put it out in Sept.

Any idea what solar panels or better yet- battery packs- that would work with either cam, besides what they sell? Something like Cuddeback's D packs would be nice.

I’m running 4 Moultrie Delta cameras & I have to say these cell cameras are a pretty good deal with all the features they have for $79-$99 out the door . I’ve talked with customer service on set up a few times & they were always responsive. I always leave a number in the que & they have called me back every time. A 2 year warranty that hopefully want need to be used , time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reveal tactacams have great reviews. I had a spartan that ran 24/7 for four or five years before it quit. The tactacam I have works just as good as the spartan. I have a $99 Spypoint that has been running 24/7 for two years. For two years, it has been just as good as the Spartan. Ask me again in a couple years how the tactacam and the spypoint compare.

I do really like my cuudebacks - but only had them a year. One thing I know for a fact - I have yet to find a cell cam that works with no cell service. My cuddebacks will do that and daisy chain to the cell cam with service. I have cuddelink cameras 3/4 mile from where phone service starts and they daisy chain back to the cell cam in a service area. $120 total for a year is also nice running ten cameras

I was just hooking my Spartan back up and saw "I already added this camera to my cell phone plan." in the Plans section. So that answers my question on how that works if you have Verizon already. I would think it'd work with other networks too but who knows.

Good podcast on chasing giants and they did a good test and out of all the best took about 50% of pictures,wise eye was one of the better ones

Looks like Wise Eye only has AT&T. Not the greatest for my area.

@SWIFFY I'm guessing there's no firmware update for the Lumen? Don't see it in their list at least.

Had the Spartan white flash cellular out last Fall and had no problems. I read somewhere if you have Verizon you can just add the camera to your plan. Not sure if you still get the pics via the app then or what...? Also just got a Lumen as well..same price and no shipping or tax. Will put it out in Sept.

Any idea what solar panels or better yet- battery packs- that would work with either cam, besides what they sell? Something like Cuddeback's D packs would be nice.
We run 6v SLA batteries with our Spartans, 2 per cam. We bought the power cords from Herd 360 and use cheap plastic ammo boxes to round out the system.

Sent from my LM-T600 using Tapatalk

Looks like Wise Eye only has AT&T. Not the greatest for my area.

@SWIFFY I'm guessing there's no firmware update for the Lumen? Don't see it in their list at least.

these are listed as Verizon?

Good podcast on chasing giants and they did a good test and out of all the best took about 50% of pictures,wise eye was one of the better ones

[Edit: found it.]what episode is that? I listened to one from late July where they said they weren’t happy with the performance of even their new reconyx cell cams.

I’d never heard of wise eye. They look very similar to RidgeTec, wouldn’t be surprised if they are made in the same spot. Do they offer no flash versions?

Ive steered clear of Spartan because of mediocre detection circuit reviews but it sounds like I’ll have to keep my eye on the refurb sales.

Last edited:
We have 9 Spartans now. 2 Ghosts and 7 GoCams (3 or which were from the "open box" program). They work great and I have no complaints! Now Spartan has Shared Data so I can have 5 cameras on one plan (up to 9). Their open box cameras are $230 and still come with the 2 year warranty. The Cameras have picture and Video at the same time if you want. Weve had a couple little issues but nothing Spartan didnt help us figure out right away! FWIW I love the Spartans. Also I get a lot of pics way off in the distance even on low sensitivity, I dont feel they miss much. Certainly not any more than the competitors.

Also, just FYI, for those of you who like the white flash cams. I ordered 2 Spartan Lumens at $139 each. They are a non-cellular, white flash LED cam and im very amazed at how they are setup. Very Very nice little cameras and take incredible pictures!

I just ordered my first Spartan go after reading your post. Hope I'm as happy with it as you are. I should have it in the woods next weekend.

these are listed as Verizon?

Yeah I just came here to point that out. Noticed it here as well: https://buckitready.com/product/wiseeye-smart-cam/
Company website only has AT&T for sale

what episode is that? I listened to one from late July where they said they weren’t happy with the performance of even their new reconyx cell cams.

I’d never heard of wise eye. They look very similar to RidgeTec, wouldn’t be surprised if they are made in the same spot. Do they offer no flash versions?

Ive steered clear of Spartan because of mediocre detection circuit reviews but it sounds like I’ll have to keep my eye on the refurb sales.

Can't say for certain w/out having another camera right next to it but my Spartan seems to detect them just fine. First picture from today after putting it out:

931073957.jpg