New antlers in velvet

I think some of you guys have some stallions coming that are ahead of mine, but here's a couple

I think the first blurry one is the guy I wanted to kill last year as a 5 year old and didn't get it done.

I don't care if he scores 110" this year, I wanna kill him.

Attachments

• IMAG0177.JPG
    IMAG0177.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAG0231.JPG
    IMAG0231.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAG0232.JPG
    IMAG0232.JPG
    434.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0374.JPG
    IMAG0374.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 35
This one has put on a little more since the last pic:

abdPnqv.jpg

Its too early for me to start getting excited about velvet bucks. Makes the summer longer than it is already. I'll start paying close attention in July. Actually July may be my favorite month of the year to watch bucks. Large bachelor groups coming to the feeders and fields. Far enough along to have an idea of what they might be. Many of them more visible than any other time of year. In fact that may be the only time of year I see some of them. But for now I have to discipline myself to be excited about food plots and what potential they may bring out in all the deer.

It's always shocking to me how far along some of these bucks are, and it's not even June yet. Fun to watch.

This one is massive. The tree on the left, that is.

Its too early for me to start getting excited about velvet bucks. Makes the summer longer than it is already. I'll start paying close attention in July. Actually July may be my favorite month of the year to watch bucks. Large bachelor groups coming to the feeders and fields. Far enough along to have an idea of what they might be. Many of them more visible than any other time of year. In fact that may be the only time of year I see some of them. But for now I have to discipline myself to be excited about food plots and what potential they may bring out in all the deer.
Probably true, but as any good habitat guy will admit, the potential or thought of a giant is almost more fun than the giant itself.

I was prepping food plots the other day and i was more excited about the thought of seeing 15 deer feeding in it than I was of killing anything.

Same with antlers.

Got one buck I know well I'm following who's at least 4 years old now. Honestly looks about the same at this point as he did last year... he definitely put on a good bit of summer mass last year so not giving up hope on him just quite yet, though pretty sure his brows unfortunately won't be crazy impressive. I call him "Split Ear."

Here he is in May of '19.

Split Ear 19 1.jpg

And how he ended up looking in the fall of '19 (lost a nice G4 on his left side during the rut)...

Split Ear 9 (2).jpg

And here he is in May of '20

IMG_0050_Moment.jpg

One that actually has grabbed my attention is a new guy on the block... and as fate would have it he's got a few mini-splits in one ear, so maybe I'll call him "Mini-Split." Thankfully rack doesn't look too mini AND looks like may have good width in addition to nice brows. Now if only can have tall outer tines I'll feel l *might* just finally hit the trifecta!

DSCN1310.JPG

DSCN1313.JPG

Last edited:
That new guy is off to a pretty impressive start!

We dont have quite the growing season as most of you do. This one has well above average growth for our area.

MFDC0066.JPG

I almost stepped on his kid the other morning. He was bedded 20 feet off the gravel road. Man that thing was TINY!

IMG_3273[1].JPG

We dont have quite the growing season as most of you do. This one has well above average growth for our area.

View attachment 30054

I almost stepped on his kid the other morning. He was bedded 20 feet off the gravel road. Man that thing was TINY!

View attachment 30055
Ive come across them twice in my life, when little like that. They wont move, neat experiences

This buck is farther along than any buck I have ever had first week of June. This is south Arkansas - so most of our deer arent going to be monsters even when they get old.
F646861B-F7F2-4E3D-BD2F-B030D73A9493.pngC88F0509-B4FA-4DBA-AA7A-F45ADD60A80A.png

I'm just absolutely blown away by how far along your guys' bucks are. Maybe I wasn't paying as much attention in the past, but it seems like this year there is more of a discrepancy in how far along bucks are across regions. Below are our furthest along bucks. This is in Northern Missouri.

Attachments

• T_00022.jpg
    T_00022.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 18
  • T_00027.jpg
    T_00027.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-20200526-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200526-WA0001.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 20
  • T_00007.JPG
    T_00007.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 20
I'm just absolutely blown away by how far along your guys' bucks are. Maybe I wasn't paying as much attention in the past, but it seems like this year there is more of a discrepancy in how far along bucks are across regions. Below are our furthest along bucks. This is in Northern Missouri.

Most of my bucks arent much Different than yours. That one is just way ahead of the Curve. His antlers literally doubled in size in a week.

Mine look about the same in La. Don't pay much attention to antlers now. For me I watch body characteristics especially they way the run more this time of the year.Old bucks just sort of waddle away.

Mine look about the same in La. Don't pay much attention to antlers now. For me I watch body characteristics especially they way the run more this time of the year.Old bucks just sort of waddle away.

Lol.... as do old buck hunters!