Never a boring moment

D

dipper

E18A07A7-45D5-4965-9B42-924B82DB8962.jpg

The ole ladies birds. 11 Cornish cross meaters will get us through the winter if vennie isn't available. But that's not gonna be the case. The quality is unbeatable, I can never eat grocery chicken again.
73E41FD3-A6CB-4646-BDBD-BE290C63D785.jpg

I've got 10 square on already, this to go. Habitat work is so much more fun! Only one layer to tear off, and 200 square feet extra for an addition next year. Most of the day was pissing around with constructing the new roof the addition will tie into. also waiting for the rain to stop.

I haven't put a roof on in 15 years. These shingle are a birch to cut compared to the old certainteed I used to put on. Hopefully they last longer than that certainteed garbage. We're only gonna be in this place for a few more years, but I'm still giving the next guy quality shingles according to $.

Roofing sucks. Do not envy you at all.

I'm only using shingles if someone's paying me (I might do a buddies garage for him). It's tin from here on out for me.

I'm only using shingles if someone's paying me (I might do a buddies garage for him). It's tin from here on out for me.
I was gonna do metal over everything, there are so many colors now. This future addition and the uncertainty with that, swayed me.

I could of paid for an architect, so I gotta go with what I design in the moment. It's a huge relief having it laid out. Laying shingles is bad, been doing it since I was 10 w/ my ole man. Valleys, small roof, cutting, cutting, cutting, it just takes time. This is my summer project so it's gonna get done.

Shingled many a roof over the years, much easier job for a young guy. I dont think my back could take it anymore. Good luck!

Shingled many a roof over the years, much easier job for a young guy. I dont think my back could take it anymore. Good luck!

Yep, me to!

When I got kicked out of high school in the 70's. I went into the money making career of nailing shingles on new homes............. for $6 per square.:eek:

Glad those days are over!

We are going to be doing a steel roof on our cabin this summer. We hoped to get it done this past weekend but rain screwed up those plans. Probably end up doing it over 4th July weekend. Next year is siding, not sure if my wife will approve steel for that.

Steel roof and steel siding...once and done. Unless we get baseball sized hail and a lot of it anyway

I like vinyl siding, but I only use insulated stuff. The foam backer prevents hail from cracking it and muffles the creaks. "Vinyl is final" as they say.

You can get shingle looking steel panels now. When I build the house, it might get a traditional seamed steel or it might get pseudo stone or shingles. There's so many options with it, and you can't beat the ease of installation or longevity.

E18A07A7-45D5-4965-9B42-924B82DB8962.jpg

The ole ladies birds. 11 Cornish cross meaters will get us through the winter if vennie isn't available. But that's not gonna be the case. The quality is unbeatable, I can never eat grocery chicken again.
73E41FD3-A6CB-4646-BDBD-BE290C63D785.jpg

I've got 10 square on already, this to go. Habitat work is so much more fun! Only one layer to tear off, and 200 square feet extra for an addition next year. Most of the day was pissing around with constructing the new roof the addition will tie into. also waiting for the rain to stop.

I just helped strip and dismantle my neighbors garage. I say dismantle because we literally just disassembled it. Other than the shingles, I'd say he's got 85% materials (wood). Stripping wasn't too bad, except my lower back could feel it. We also had a great day (60-65°), so I'm sure it'd suck if it were 80-90's with blistering sun.

As far as vinyl being final...that's oftentimes untrue wherever hailstorms are common.

Or a kid nearby with a BB gun! "Accidents" happen!

The insulated vinyl is far more hail resistant than the uninsulated. Most don't opt for it due to cost. I wouldn't put uninsulated on my shed because it cracks if you have a branch fall on it, or hail, or look at it funny.

The insulated vinyl is far more hail resistant than the uninsulated. Most don't opt for it due to cost. I wouldn't put uninsulated on my shed because it cracks if you have a branch fall on it, or hail, or look at it funny.

How much siding have you broken via your funny looks? That, sir, is a talent!

I had my metal siding replaced because of hail. ..it didn't get holes in it but it got dinged up pretty good.

How much siding have you broken via your funny looks? That, sir, is a talent!

Ever shovel a friends sidewalk and discover the scoop of slush left a hole?

I took color sample cards and froze them in our chest freezer, then did bend, scratch and bend, and puncture tests on the colors we were considering. It did very well.

Then the second summer after the shop was built I had a large branch hung up on the roof. When I cut it loose it tumbled and the butt bounced off the wall, then the top ripped off 3 gutter hangers. Branch was around 50#. I thought for sure I was patching a hole when I climbed off the roof. Could see the scuff where it hit, but no damage.

I've got most of a square in reserve for repairs. I've never needed it in 7 years.

I had a friend who finished putting vinyl siding on the house.
They took all of the cardboard siding behind the house and built a fire. The siding melted and sagged!

^^^sagging vinyl is one of my pet peeves. I see so many houses with "rippling" vinyl siding.....

Neighbor over here has walls of it blowing off in the wind. He is always nailing it back on.

The wife and i were up at her parent's cabin in the catskills a few years back. One of the neighbors had invited us over for a cook out on their beautiful and huge back deck. The guy had his gas grill up against the side of the vinyl sided house on the deck. He came out and flipped the lid up and started opening up the valve on the tank like he was gonna fire up the grill....i was thinking to myself....he should move it out further from the wall, that siding is gonna melt. I got caught up in horsing around with the dogs and the guy had lit the grill. It was probably 15-20 mins later he came out with the steaks and burgers for the grill when I heard him say "OH SH!T!!!!!!!!!! I melted my house". I looked up and sure enough...about 4 strips of siding had turned to a sagging mess. oops.

The wife and i were up at her parent's cabin in the catskills a few years back. One of the neighbors had invited us over for a cook out on their beautiful and huge back deck. The guy had his gas grill up against the side of the vinyl sided house on the deck. He came out and flipped the lid up and started opening up the valve on the tank like he was gonna fire up the grill....i was thinking to myself....he should move it out further from the wall, that siding is gonna melt. I got caught up in horsing around with the dogs and the guy had lit the grill. It was probably 15-20 mins later he came out with the steaks and burgers for the grill when I heard him say "OH SH!T!!!!!!!!!! I melted my house". I looked up and sure enough...about 4 strips of siding had turned to a sagging mess. oops.
I've seen that several times.