Need some tractor help.

Tap

5 year old buck +
I have a hydro lift issue. My Farmtrac 545 (essentially a Ford 3,000) had a torn rubber brake boot. Got torn while brush hogging multiflora rose:emoji_angry:
I replaced it and to do so, I needed to remove some hydro lines to access bolts. Now it's back together but my front end loader AND my 3 point hitch won't lift. Dip stick says hydro reservoir is full.
I looked on a couple of chat rooms but I don't really understand what I'm reading...I'm not a mechanic.
I read that most systems are self bleeding and to cycle the hydro system thru all the positions, but I'm not sure if there is a sequence to that. Any advice? Thanks, and 'splain it to me like I'm a 6 year old...although most 6 year old farm boys are probably more mechanically inclined than I am!

I'm not familar with that tractor but I don't think there is a true bleeder system on theses things. If the fluid is full maybe the system is sucking air somewhere? I would think if a hose was loose it would be leaking when you hit that function.

The only other thing the comes to mind is the flow control valve. Somewhere there is a screw in type in or lever type control to adjust how fast the hydraulics respond. If that's all the way in you might loose movement..

So, I got it semi-fixed. I realized that the tractor chat rooms didn't say whether to cycle the hydro positions with the machine running or shut off. I was trying with it running. I cycled while not running. I could hear a flush of fluid surging into the cylinders in each position that I moved the lever. I started it and it worked like new...BUT, it's still inconsistent. The loader sometimes lifts normally and sometimes slow or hardly at all. The 3 point is mostly good but even it was sluggish a few times. But each time I cycle through the positions, it "fixes" itself.
The dip stick says full.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Seems I'm wrong. Did some searching. They do indeed have a bleeder for the pump. You'll need an Allen wrench to remove it. Pull the coil wire or shut off the gas (you don't want the engine to start) and crank the engine with the plug out to get the air out then replace it and tighten it back up while still cranking the engine. I guess it would work with engine running but don't take the plug all the way out because you won't be able to start the threads with the pressure it makes. That and you may be covered in oil....

image.jpeg

It's a diesel Bill.
I went back out to resume brush hogging. And the loader consistently stops working until I cycle, then it works fine...for a short period. The last time the loader quit, I was facing up slope. It wouldn't fix itself even with cycling until I backed up and faced down hill. Then it lifted. It really seems like I could be low on fluid? I don't know. But why does the dip stick read "full"?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Try priming the hydraulic pump.
Start tractor.
Remove hydraulic fluid dip stick.
Insert compressed air blow gun with a cone shaped nozzle tip into the where the dip stick was for up to a minute while testing 3 pt or loader.
Just watch fluid can blow back out at you.

Good luck

My opinion is that you still have air in the lines. I'm not an expert and a bit of a hack so I dare not tell you what to do for fear of telling you wrong. If it was my machine I would simply cycle each cylinder thru it's full range of motion several times in an effort to push the air out of the lines. That may do it, it may not. You may have to try to isolate where the air is trapped and bleed it manually...... I have had to do that before as well. Typically a 2 person job and can be messy and the fluid can be hot as well (my hydro fluid is my transmission fluid as well).

Still some air in there somewhere.

Still some air in there somewhere.
Yeah, you're probably right. I'm not sure how to know for sure and how to get it out.
I called my go-to mechanic for that machine today and it was his day off.
I'll hopefully get some answers from him tomorrow.
I'm having a hard time keeping my sanity with this stuff. Broken or junk equipment. Major invasive problems. Neighborhood hunting pressure that's off the charts. Lots of deer but seldom have any wall hangers here.
Remind me why I bother with this stuff.