Need Help on Chinese Chestnut

wbpdeer

5 year old buck +
A member of the family has two "Chinese chestnuts that are loaded. One of these has some good growth off the based.

Can I use this growth to propagate? Is there a better method for me to follow?
I intend to collect the chestnuts when they drop. I am going to put a wire cage under the tree to keep the animals from getting them all.

I have attached two pictures to give you an idea of what I have.

Thanks
Wayne

Attachments

• Chestnut 1 - Copy.JPG
    Chestnut 1 - Copy.JPG
    494.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Chestnut 5.JPG
    Chestnut 5.JPG
    502.4 KB · Views: 11
A member of the family has two "Chinese chestnuts that are loaded. One of these has some good growth off the based.

Can I use this growth to propagate? Is there a better method for me to follow?
I intend to collect the chestnuts when they drop. I am going to put a wire cage under the tree to keep the animals from getting them all.

I have attached two pictures to give you an idea of what I have.
- it's not hard
Thanks
Wayne

Hello Wayne, Are you thinking of attempting to split the root ball? I propagated Dunstan nuts over the winter, not to hard to do, just need to give enough time for cold stratification and then let the nut sprout on its own time frame.
Good Luck!

2nd Hand I am thinking I could take a cutting off the new growth on a limb, put root hormone on it and stick in a quality potting mix.

Is this practical for Chinese Chestnut at this time of year?
Thanks
Wayne

2nd Hand I am thinking I could take a cutting off the new growth on a limb, put root hormone on it and stick in a quality potting mix.

Is this practical for Chinese Chestnut at this time of year?
Thanks
Wayne

Have you considered air layering. Here's some info: http://www.instructables.com/id/Propagation-of-Fruit-Bearing-Trees-by-Air-Layering/

Thanks NH Mountains.

Do you think my cage idea (mentioned in first post) will help my chestnut collection efforts?
Wayne

I agree with NH Mountain - germinating the nuts is the way to go & it can be fun!