Need a pollinator for 2 unknown Apple Trees

Bluecollaroutdoors

5 year old buck +
Somewhere these 2 trees got lost in the shuffle. I have no idea what variety they are but after a few years I would have expected even a few tiny apples to show up. I don't know that they are getting pollinated.

They were $15-20 whips that were planted in our garden for 2 summers and then transplanted into our woods.
I would say this April will be there 3 years since we transplanted. They have thrived as far as survival and growth but are not putting out any fruit yet. I am thinkin about putting in a crabapple nearby just to promote pollination. Any recomendations?

I am already have 2 other spots that have a whitney, dolgo and wolf river planted this spring. Any thoughts on a crab that is a good pollinator for all apple trees, just in case that is the problem.

FYI, what we think are the exact same 2 trees in our garden are producing some very nice apples. Up to 35 or so on the bigger one. That is in ideal conditinos of great soil, unlimited water and full sun though. They may have pollinated by other fruit trees in the yard or ever the neighbors right acrossed the road though.

Pics attached from this spring.

Attachments

• Apple2FourthYr.jpg
    Apple2FourthYr.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 7
  • AppleFourthYr.jpg
    AppleFourthYr.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
have you seen flowers?

They say dolgo is a good pollinator if the bloom times match.
I have no experience on this, but just what I read.

Honestly I don't remember really seeing much for flowering on those trees. They are growing though.

Bloom times need to overlap between those 2 trees, as well if you have one that is a triploid you are going to need at least one more for pollination. Your trees in town could be benefitting from better growing conditions as well more pollinators, both insect and pollen wise.

I honestly didn't give them much of a look this year besides a little pruning in spring before anything broke buds. They definately leafed out but I did not check closely for flowers versus just green trees.

I am only worried because we are on the 2nd year in a row of decent crop at home and zero for the in the woods trees. I didn't expect to be getting major fruiting on these. I know it is a slow process. It just seems that the 2 at home are from the same batch and the same varieties and one is doing amazing and the other at least leafs out like a giant bush and has a few apples on it. They bough as $8 dollar 5 foot whips and I would say it was 3 years in the garden and 3 years in the woods honestly.
These 2 appear to be pretty far behind if it is not a pollination issue. Again at home they are in ideal conditions. In my woods they are getting water and good soil but the sunlight is not as ideal as at home.

I think I will throw another Dolgo on the Northern most point of that plot about 20 yards from the 2 slow growers and see what happens just to cover my butt.

From your description, my guess is decreased amount of sunlight is the culprit for the "in woods" trees being behind those you have at home. It never hurts to have a crab nearby to aid in pollination though :)
Thanks Smith. I am not throwing in the towel just wondering if I should buy a little insurance. I am also thinking about knocking down a couple big useless hemlocks on the south side of these trees to open it up a bit for them.
Unfortunately I was not involved in site selection the first time around on apple trees and it was horrendous. Second time around it was ok. Third time around it is pretty good. It is literally a case of "if I only knew now what I didn't know then"

We have a pair of trees that I didn't even know existed. They must be 8 or 9 years since planting high ground, low light, rocky soil, just awful spots. They are alive, but have grown about one summers worth of growth. I am moving them in spring for sure. They will not make an apple in my lifetime, my kids lifetime or there kids lifetime at this pace.

Well one of them is on such high ground that I just don't know how much help it wold be to cut it free. It honestly is just a whip on its second year about ground if you didnt know any better. I get what your saying about the below ground status possibly suprising me though.
It is in a location where I wouldn't want to do to much cutting on its south side as it would leave me wide open in the stand there.

The other one is just canopied by too many little maples and we could thin some of those anyway. They are basically 10 years of regrowth since logging.

The 8/9 year olds are write offs and this point. I am going to move them no doubt.
These 5 year olds on the other hand, they are kinda stuck where they are but I will do everything I can to improve them in those spots.