All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name J-bird's place poll

Which name/logo combination do you like

• Total voters
OK - you guys are just making $hit up now!

Actually your not and I know it. I had English class, hated it, but I was there enough to graduate. That's why I'm an enginer, I mean Enginear, no that isn't right either.....Enginere. Nope - damn it. I like math!

OK - you guys are just making $hit up now!

Actually your not and I know it. I had English class, hated it, but I was there enough to graduate. That's why I'm an enginer, I mean Enginear, no that isn't right either.....Enginere. Nope - damn it. I like math!
I had 3 friends in college that were in Engineering majors....boy am i glad i didn't have to take the math classes they did!

Why name it? I call my property the Land. We all refer to my parents place as the Ranch since they have some horses and mules.

You live on your place so I would just call it home.

I'm not into logos for shirts, hats or signs. The last thing I want hanging in front of my land is a sign announcing deer or big bucks. I have enough road hunting, spot lighters cruising around without me drawing more attention to it.

Phil - I'm not an Engineer by degree - I am way to practical for that. I have been an Engineer in title before for what that's worth. It's all the same - fix problems, and babysit. Yep - I'm a handyman and babysitter I just work with grown people that act like children at times.

I didn't like "Broken Buck Farm" because it brings to mind some buck limping across a field...I think a better name to go with that same graphic would be "Broken Tine Farm"

sorry, no alliteration there.

I voted for "Lonely Oak Farm"

Batman, I like your thoughts on name areas over time. They develop names from time on stand or cool run ins. We dont really call our property anything but the stands speak from themselves. Old Faithful, Iron Buck, IB2, Squirrel Cage, Eagles Nest, Cutout, The Jack Shack, Bigfoot, Earhole and then really boring names like Backplot, Pond Plot and Dikestand that are too new to have earned cooler names.

Bluecollar -
Dikestand
Do we really want to know? I hope this is a stand near some sort of earthen water retention structure. I for one would have a hard time telling my buddies, "Yep, going out to "Dikestand" is the morning." I bet it's not a very good bow location - bow hunting requires giving them the shaft......bet that doesn't happen often on "Dikestand"! I bet it is only good for does! Ok - I'm done being childish now.

I'm in the "name themselves" group and don't really care for any of the 4 choices either (I was just going to abstain from voting).

Kinda like trail names at my place - Fisher trail (spot we see our local fisher at most often - the furry carnivorous 4 legged kind), swamp trail (only one swamp, and it was the trail I cut through it), main trail (used to be a road in the 40's), etc. Not overly original, but they have localized meanings. The only witty one so far is Vapor trail (the rifle range once it's built).

You could also do initials or an acronym. Old Crotchety Bastard Farm = OCB Farm or something like that. Jeff already showed how that can work for ya with Turkey Town - and he's got fish.

I'm not sure other people can name YOUR farm. That's something that should stand out for you. I don't like any of those and really don't care for named farms usually. But one thing I always thot was cool was how farms in Ohio have their family name in large bold letters on their barns with the year said farm was established. Makes for a cool ride down their back roads. Maybe a way to do similar with yours. I didn't have this much trouble naming my kids. Good luck.

The dikestand indeed in on the edge that rolls downhill along the edge of hardwoods and water. Its a natural run to use he low elevation to be hidden and eventually end up at a manmade culvert and dike crossing vs sloshing through the water to cross up and over a ridge. Its a good spot made better by the dike.

dogghr - that was sort of the plan with the logo - I was going to put it on the end of our morton building that faces the road - you couldn't go down the road and not see it.

It was sort of like me being able to put my "stamp" on the place so to speak. Been at this place for pushing 20 years and I guess it's still just the Ol' Roberts place (that's what everybody in our area calls it and no it isn't our family name - Roberts hasn't lived there since the 70's - maybe longer than that). This was more of a marketing survey to get opinions and thoughts.

Good thing I'm not in marketing or advertising! I would have been fired or shot by now!