My workout machine

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
This is my version of an elliptical exerciser. Not that hard if you are going straight, but quite the workout when you are turning, backing up, and putting pressure on the bars to keep from spinning. Move over Bow Flex... You should see this baby eat and spit out sweetgums...... I've done over 2 hours straight a few times this spring.

0PgUCNHh.jpg

Are we gonna see a shirtless pic of that muscle-bound guy called Native Hunter ?? :emoji_muscle:

How big of a tree / sapling can you run over with that ??

The DR Mower is a beast The machine is a "walk behind" brush hog

Ive had mine for 12 years

Mowing on anything other than a flat surface is tantamount to wrestling a bear

bill

Are we gonna see a shirtless pic of that muscle-bound guy called Native Hunter ?? :emoji_muscle:

How big of a tree / sapling can you run over with that ??

No, the world isn’t ready for that picture. :emoji_grinning:

It will cut anything that you can ride down. The beauty of this is I can work on soggy ground where a tractor would mar up right now. You can also get this baby in tight spots.

Last edited:
The DR Mower is a beast The machine is a "walk behind" brush hog

Ive had mine for 12 years

Mowing on anything other than a flat surface is tantamount to wrestling a bear

bill

Good description bill.

I love my DR mower. I've got the current 20HP electric start model. The amount of work I can get done in a day is amazing compared to what I can accomplish with just the chainsaw. You're right though, it can be a lot of work. But, I've found it, like most things, it gets easier with some experience. I've only had one problem with it. There is a little wire that connects on the underside toward the back of the machine. I think it connects to an oil pressure sensor or something.

I had that get snagged and disconnected back in the middle of some swampy ground and the machine wouldn't start. I wasn't smart enough to figure it out until I got the thing back on my trailer at camp. This was AFTER I drug it all the way from the back boundary of my property by hand. Talk about a workout.

I have used one in the past and it worked great. Want to buy one, the only thing is they know what they want for them. Really never see used ones come up for sale.

What's one of these worth? I know of one that the lady used once and didn't like it

Also, when they recommend you should disconnect the battery when not in use, they mean it. I've also been down that road.

And another thing, just because it was running before you turned it off doesn't mean it's not out of gas. I learned that one too. 20 minutes of fiddling with it and my wife says, "Have you checked the gas?" I hate it when she's right.

What's one of these worth? I know of one that the lady used once and didn't like it
To me, it was worth MORE than what I paid for it. I paid retail, whatever is on the website. Once I get my heavy work complete, I think I'll wish I had the pull behind model though. Throw and mow on a couple of acres with a walk behind already seems like too much work, and I haven't even done it yet.

Few questions for those of you owning DR mowers... few years ago I posted about an area I struggle to maintain (http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/road-drainage-ditch-question.7251/#post-137898). Do you think a DR mower might be an ideal tool for the task? Ask, as I've failed to tackle it the past 2 years and now has saplings in it about 2" to 3" in diameter. Even when just weeds and cuttable brush, too rough to really want to tackle with my zero turn mower and too tight to try and navigate with my 10' pull behind tractor mower.

Second question is whether anyone strongly feels that a certain grade of the DR is gererally necessary / advantageous. Base model lots cheaper than the highest end, but besides being smaller / narrower good deal less power running it as well. Just curious if there is a general concensus among owners on best general option. http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/field-brush-mowers/

1. Side hills are scary. But the mower I have has "power steering", which is really just disc brakes you can enable one side at a time. You can squeeze the uphill side and it's less scary than one that doesn't have this feature. I wouldn't do 45 degrees though. But, if you are willing to go back and forth across the steeper stuff, then I'd say it'll work fine. When it was dry enough last Summer I ran the thing right across my little creek crossing and it's a pretty good dip.

2. I've run an older model with less HP that didn't have the squeezy hand brakes for steering. It was way more work to run. From a power perspective, using my current machine, if you can push it over, it'll mow it. They make a heavy duty blade for the thing and I recommend it. I've cut heavy stuff with both and the momentum of the heavy duty blade is awesome. It's also sharp on both sides of the blade so you can flip it over and have a fresh edge without getting out the file.

Edited to add - Wear ear plugs or muffs, and heavy duty gloves, eye protection.

Last edited:
I love mine. I have the 14 horse with the oil pump. It’s a great machine and I find it much more user friendly than the billy goat. While it’s certainly a workout I can’t say that it manhandles me either. While it will take care of 2 inch saplings on anything bigger than an inch and a half I cut down with a saw. You can work these things pretty hard but I paid over $2000 for it so I balance working it hard with not abusing it. I want it to outlast me. It’s amazing in brush, blackberries, small saplings and mowing my small food lots and trails. Another nice use is for cutting easy access trails to stands. I found that the deer really like my trails to my stands so I’ve started mowing “deer trails” in front of a couple of my stands and alongside areas I know the deer like to frequent. Deer are definitely using them.
84F9D357-9BB3-4D8A-A203-A59371111C38.jpegED9848CE-4B78-4E41-8442-B6E18032D331.jpeg

That thing is clean.mower.JPG

Last edited:
Those are from when I first bought it last spring. It’s got some dirt on it now. :emoji_sunglasses:

Those are from when I first bought it last spring. It’s got some dirt on it now. :emoji_sunglasses:
Mine too. That picture is as clean as it's been in a while. I did pressure wash it before I put it away for the Winter though.

They are great for grooming deer trails.

I mow mine in spring and follow with gly total vegetation control

bill