My weekend firewood rack project

Livesintrees

5 year old buck +
Finally got around to making my wood rack this weekend. Holds 2 cords which is plenty for me. Treated lumber. And so forth. Just need to throw so extra shingles on the roof and call it done. Got the heavy duty hot coated steel leftover from a switchyard at work. FA93BC5C-B76F-4FFD-A052-6F7F2E9706A3.jpeg1AC59AB8-CE4C-459F-A038-302B7A40F0F3.jpeg71DBE22F-B73C-45F0-9CEB-12D651527025.jpeg872BEB03-7760-48F7-9899-CBA02F223511.jpeg

Dang! That is nice!

Heck that wouldnt even blow away on most days here!

Oh no chance it’s blowing away unless a tornado comes through. Took 2 floor jacks to do be final leveling!

Very nice!

Wow! My firewood is just piled on top of other firewood.

Are you kidding me :). Everything looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh great....now I'm going to have another project........

That one from last year is really impressive!

Great looking storage! That metal decking is sweet! Did it come from a rail yard? I love that stuff.

-John

I'm considering storing my firewood under my leanto but then again it seems like a waste of some nice cover. Maybe I'll just keep stacking and covering with metal roofing. I've been trying to think of a way to rotate through my firewood (several rows but need a way to rotate so I'm not always burning the newer stuff) and also use the tractor to bring an entire bundle to the house at one time. Best idea I've come up with is to build a 4ft x 4ft x 16in square out of 2x4s with some feet so the tractor forks can easily get underneath it. Anybody have a guess to what that would weigh full of oak firewood?

Any better ideas?

I just pile mine inside 10' x 20' cages(3 of them) of welding wire and rotate my new an old that way, but have been thinking about a canopy over it with metal roofing. That is way nicer than my set up, but I hate stacking firewood. Seems dry better for me when I pile it rather than stack it.

Nice work!!

2 cords would get me to about the middle of December....but the furnace hasn't run in 3 years.

Great looking storage! That metal decking is sweet! Did it come from a rail yard? I love that stuff.

-John
No sir. It came from a switchyard (electrical yard that powers for example your city)

I just pile mine inside 10' x 20' cages(3 of them) of welding wire and rotate my new an old that way, but have been thinking about a canopy over it with metal roofing. That is way nicer than my set up, but I hate stacking firewood. Seems dry better for me when I pile it rather than stack it.

Nice work!!

2 cords would get me to about the middle of December....but the furnace hasn't run in 3 years.
I’m sure I “could” use more. But with the hours I work and commute during the week I’m home and awake for 5-6 hours tops. I may make another simple one to keep inside the garage or basement after it has been seasoned already that will hold one additional cord. This is he first year In the house/property so I’ll gauge my usage this coming winter

Livesintrees - When I saw that metal decking, I knew what kind of switchyard you were talking about. I've worked on that exact decking a number of times in my 38 year career. I'm a journeyman electrician. That wood shelter is top-notch !!! Nice work. Nothing like seeing a stack of split wood drying for the next winter. :emoji_thumbsup:

Livesintrees - When I saw that metal decking, I knew what kind of switchyard you were talking about. I've worked on that exact decking a number of times in my 38 year career. I'm a journeyman electrician. That wood shelter is top-notch !!! Nice work. Nothing like seeing a stack of split wood drying for the next winter. :emoji_thumbsup:

Journeyman here also! When they said it was going to be trashed so I could have it if I wanted....I knew exactly what i wanted it for.

wow.. you guys sure split the wood down to kindling!! those are some small pieces and lots of work. LOOKS awesome on those buildings!! Great job. I have two of my friends with wood stoves and I helped them both this year. WE didn't split a stick. NOT one. Greener the better they say.

Very nice! I need a new woodshed and may very well tweak your design to a smaller shed. Well done.

I will be needing to build one of those in the near future. Does it make any difference which way the opening is facing? Does it need to face away from the prevailing wind?