My new "plot"

Tap

5 year old buck +
I ordered some seed a few weeks ago and the bag of Winfred Brassica had a small cut in it. There was about 1 pound spilled inside the shipping box and some was trickling out of a corner of the box. There was a trail of seed from the UPS truck to my front door. Some of the seed got into a relief cut in my stamped concrete by my front door. It's now germinated and growing...lol!
726b35b2461b4a44caf8d93c27be6718.jpg

W. Pa.

Last edited:
I normally don't hunt near my food plots but I might hunt this one...I just need to find a camo pattern that matches my couch.

W. Pa.

Hahaha. After seeding last year we had emptied the hand seeder in the driveway and had clover coming up on the gravel driveway where we dumped it. Maybe it's not so hard to get this stuff to grow

You might want to restrict that plot to bow hunting only Tap. It's going to be a bad ricochet area. :emoji_smile:

Okay, I started this thread as a little bit of humor (very little humor!) but it might just morph into a review on Winfred hybrid turnips.
Here's the same "plot" (I use that term loosely) a couple weeks and several hard freezes later. I'm really impressed that the Winfred seems to withstand temps in the teens. And this is in a concrete walkway... as cold as it gets with no soil to help insulate the roots. For those of us that have deer that feeds on brassica as soon as it sprouts, I'm thinking this stuff could be frost seeded and utilized full season. It supposed to have good grazing resistance and I don't believe it bolts (I'll have to look that up again).
They always say rye can germinate on a brick. Winfred germinates on cement!
20170308_094224.jpg

What's the life cycle?
If you plant early how big will the turnip be in the fall?

What's the life cycle?
If you plant early how big will the turnip be in the fall?
No turnip. All top except for a tap root.
It rebounds from grazing well.

W. Pa.

No turnip. All top except for a tap root.
It rebounds from grazing well.

W. Pa.
Gotcha. Between this and that jack in the bean stalk clover you should have plenty of green tonnage.

Reactions: Tap
Gotcha. Between this and that jack in the bean stalk clover you should have plenty of green tonnage.
I got a bunch of other new stuff I'm trying this year.

W. Pa.

I just wanted to post a pic of some frost seeded Winfred.
I have a blue spruce that was starting to crowd my driveway so I removed the bottom 5 feet of branches. Just for the heck of it, I frost seeded Winfred seed around the base to see if it would grow. I guess this would be considered "deep shade". It does get a little morning sun on the SE side for a fairly short time each day. And it's also on a North slope, so the sun's angle isn't really that great. I'm a bit surprised at the amount of growth. And, although the pH of the surrounding area is about 6.3, I assume that the pH under this spruce is probably a bit lower.
BTW, the Winfred in the sidewalk crack is still alive. It seems like Winfred is pretty tolerant of tough conditions.
9c7c03571ba78c4a04614e1672347b14.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I planted Winfred in my brassica plot along with turnips and radishes... it was awesome. Deer hit the radishes first, turnips second and the Winfred stayed green all the way until it was all gone mid December. The plants grew 2 1/2 feet tall, giant leafs couldn't be happier about it. That mix provided a lot of forage and made it attractive from the start of bow season in sept, till the end in Jan.

I just wanted to post a pic of some frost seeded Winfred.
I have a blue spruce that was starting to crowd my driveway so I removed the bottom 5 feet of branches. Just for the heck of it, I frost seeded Winfred seed around the base to see if it would grow. I guess this would be considered "deep shade". It does get a little morning sun on the SE side for a fairly short time each day. And it's also on a North slope, so the sun's angle isn't really that great. I'm a bit surprised at the amount of growth. And, although the pH of the surrounding area is about 6.3, I assume that the pH under this spruce is probably a bit lower.
BTW, the Winfred in the sidewalk crack is still alive. It seems like Winfred is pretty tolerant of tough conditions.
9c7c03571ba78c4a04614e1672347b14.jpg

You may need to lime that area ... I assume it is too acidic :emoji_slight_smile:

I have to remember this stuff as a fill in when I try beets. Might go nice in any bare spots.

Where have you guys ordered Winfred from? Dang, it's spendy....

Where have you guys ordered Winfred from? Dang, it's spendy....
Got mine from Green Cover Seed and I believe Grandpa Ray sells it too.

Dang, that's way too spendy for my liking!