My new ground blind STINKS

35-acre

5 year old buck +
Well, that's more of a "headline" or "attention getting" statement.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who's gone through this. I bought a nice new ground blind. Of course, it still has that "new car" smell. Aside from hanging some pine trees from Auto Zone inside (just kidding). What have you guys done to help get rid of that smell?

I'm planning to get it setup outside to air it out for a period of time (week or so). Yet I know the inside will still keep the original scent.

What type of blind? A plastic panel type or more of a pop-up type? Either way I would simply attack it with some soap and water and then some scent killer. The only reason I would use some sort of soap is to cut any possible chemical residue. Then simply leave outside for the air to circulate thru it. If you really want to put your tin-foil hat on....attack it with some dirt and wet leaves and the like and rub it down....but that seems even extreme for me!

Thanks. The blind is one of these:

1566935926071.png
Soap and water plus airing it out sounds like a good idea. I'm cheap so I was hoping to have a way better than doing it with scent killer at $20 a bottle. ;)

Thanks. The blind is one of these:

View attachment 25919
Soap and water plus airing it out sounds like a good idea. I'm cheap so I was hoping to have a way better than doing it with scent killer at $20 a bottle. ;)
Just go easy with it. I have a tendency to get a little aggressive. My wife had me scrub one of her cooking sheets once. I was trying to scrub off what I thought was all the brown burnt stuff......turns out I scrubbed off the non-stick coating and ruined it...I didn't even think that was possible!

Just spray it down with febreeze. It smells like flowers, which deer are used to smelling.

And you joke about the pine scent car air fresheners, but I hang one from my jacket zipper. A lot cheaper than designed cover scents.

Use a concoction of vinegar, baking soda, and water.

Deer use smell as their primary first line of defense. You can probably get away with “soap” and “air freshener” in urban settings but I wouldn’t consider either options in rural deep-wooded settings.

Use the vinegar/baking soda/water mix then dry outside. I would only use native plants as a cover scent.

Sounds good - going to give it a go this weekend. I've got a month before season opener here.

Sounds good - going to give it a go this weekend. I've got a month before season opener here.
Leave it outside in the sun for a couple of days I would bet all smell is gone rather quickly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Leave it outside in the sun for a couple of days I would bet all smell is gone rather quickly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

X2