All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2015 grafts

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Here are a few of my first attempts at grafting some plums. Used native plum for rootstock. Aero and Sandbur sent me some scions to monkey with.

Here are some of the apple and pear benchgrafts. They have been in the ground about 2 weeks. Have about 6" of new growth on some of them. Damn never ending wind here slows them down at first. Going to try and put up a temporary wind screen tomorrow.

Last edited:
Looking good Chris.

Chrus-The Alderman that I took the scion from is very slow to leaf out. The tree does not appear to be healthy.

Chris- is a different apple tree shape a better choice for those of us who these winds.

I wonder if the plains type of environment had more of bush type crab apples instead of taller trees....

Chris- is a different apple tree shape a better choice for those of us who these winds.

I wonder if the plains type of environment had more of bush type crab apples instead of taller trees....

That would seem reasonable. However, I have never seen a wild apple around here so I cant speak to natural selection. Most apple trees are planted in a area that gives some measure of wind protection. Unfortunately my nursery is situated where there is no protection from SE and southerly winds. No trees for MILES in that direction, nothing but ag fields. Tender new growth does not like daily winds of 20-40mph.

I do have some plum grafts that have not leafed out yet. Didnt check to see which ones were leafed out and which ones were not. Just happy to have some success in general with the plum grafts.

Nice work Chris!!

Chris that is awesome that you got plums to break on first try. A few guys from Cummins told me they have terrible luck with plums. Great job. Btw I should have tons of plums this year Trees were loaded with flowers and bees were buzzing !!!!

Nice TC.

Could you put up a wooden or plastic snow type fence around your nursery? It would stop some of the wind but, let some go thru so it doesn't go airborne.

Something like this http://m.tractorsupply.com/en/store/wood-snow-fence-4-ft-h-x-50-ft-l or this http://m.homedepot.com/p/Tenax-4-ft-x-50-ft-Saf-T-Sno-Heavy-Duty-Snow-Fence-000044/100384032

I contemplated snow fence, along with a number of other things. However, I wasnt sure that snow fence would really reduce the amount of wind as much as I would like. I am going to try a 3' wide/high strip of woven landscape fabric first with plenty of t-posts. It is something I already had available. We will see how it holds up.