My 20 in Mich Thumb

Heymirth

Yearling... With promise
I recently purchased 20 acres in Marlette Mi. (October)
Here is my initial aerial of what I purchased. It’s a great piece of property, yes small, but has some great potential in a high deer density area. I will also attached a land plan that I created. It’s going to be a learning curve.

Attachments

• 10CD143E-4C3F-454E-9211-A4C17F26F20C.png
    10CD143E-4C3F-454E-9211-A4C17F26F20C.png
    674.7 KB · Views: 90
Welcome to the addicting hobby of habitat management....we meet daily, 24 hours a day! Looks like a nice place...all I will say is to take your time. Learn the property and how the deer use it and how the property fits into the much bigger picture....THEN develop/implement your plan. Keep your expectations in check and work WITH what you have.

Couple of things I have learned from my mistakes...
#1 - work WITH what you have - you will only waste time, money and effort and get frustrated trying to make a property something it isn't.
#2 - understand what you have first and then make improvements. Random improvements or "improvements" in the wrong place are costly, frustrating and can actually work against you. Observe/learn - plan - then act.
#3 - with limited ground - forget about "year round nutrition" or a "complete habitat". You don't have the room. I don't have the room on 150 acres. As such, figure out what the true limiting factor is of the habitat is in your area (beyond your property as well) and try to improve that and then focus on how to hold and attract deer during your hunting seasons. Let the neighbors feed the deer in the summer time! This is counter what many folks tell you and preach...but keep in mind they are trying to sell you something! IF you had the room that would be different.
#4 - don't get all hung up on food plots..especially if food isn't that bad in your area. TSI/timber improvement, fruit trees and other plantings, water holes and native grasses can all be FAR better improvements. They don't get the "glory" because it's tough for folks to make money that way and it takes a while to see the results...but for ME in MY case they have been far more important. Focus on what YOUR place needs and what works for YOU.
#5 - keep expectations in check. Sometimes we get so focused on our efforts we forget we are dealing with free range animals. For one reason or another your area may not support B&C class bucks. Don't get caught up in the "plant it and they will come" mentality many foodplot companies sell. Keep in mind B&C bucks are cherished because they are NOT the norm. Figure out what a good deer is in your area and work with that. We do this to shoot deer, not just watch them.

Congrats on the purchase!
Nothing in the world like owning your own piece of ground, looking forward to seeing how you manage it to fit your needs.

Here is my 3-5year target plan. I marked up an aerial image of my plan.
I hope this may help people with their own plan.

Attachments

• 78459491-756B-49B4-893B-9E4388A0CF80.png
    78459491-756B-49B4-893B-9E4388A0CF80.png
    555.1 KB · Views: 53
Here is my 3-5year target plan. I marked up an aerial image of my plan.
I hope this may help people with their own plan.

I love the layout tool you used and it looks so nice and organize. Is this a software of some kind?

I love the layout tool you used and it looks so nice and organize. Is this a software of some kind?
Thank You
I just used PowerPoint and Google Aerials to overlay what I wanted to do. From the aerials and any mapping app I could drop pins on specific landmarks and then I printed out the aerial and marked it up to the natural deer movements and enhancements. It made my land easier to understand the natural movements and where my approach to stands and plantings.

Congrats on the land !! This habitat stuff IS addicting.

J-Bird made some good points. ( post #2 ) Without seeing all the surrounding properties, if you have ag crops all around you, creating thick cover may be what's different on your place. Security cover is huge, especially when the shooting starts. Creating bedding cover for doe / fawn groups is good practice anywhere. And doe groups = buck magnets.

Good luck with all your habitat work. Thanks for posting your place.

Disked and planted NW Plot screen and 200 Miscanthus this last weekend. The rain is killing me being able to get back into the land and the soil is a little too damp but it’s the only time this month I can get there.
Bring on the garden gods for a little help.

Attachments

• 359B5BF9-2EB5-4841-8B70-7016C5FC5598.jpeg
    359B5BF9-2EB5-4841-8B70-7016C5FC5598.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 36
Disked and planted NW Plot screen and 200 Miscanthus this last weekend. The rain is killing me being able to get back into the land and the soil is a little too damp but it’s the only time this month I can get there.
Bring on the garden gods for a little help.
Really wet to the west of you too, it should be ok, good luck.

Looks like a good plan. Any fruit trees in the plots?

Been a busy season. I got about 40% of the trails and plots done.
I already have a list of stuff to do for next spring. It’s been a great learning experience.

Attachments

• 439B4EDE-E3C2-4ACC-9E46-C06CBA1B0A89.jpeg
    439B4EDE-E3C2-4ACC-9E46-C06CBA1B0A89.jpeg
    844.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 39C3414A-4140-4880-886A-34F5052CA008.jpeg
    39C3414A-4140-4880-886A-34F5052CA008.jpeg
    834.9 KB · Views: 16
This has been a great year of learning. I have updated my plan for next spring and next season already.
I need a forestry mulcher for season.
Dark green on the left/south is a plan for 2020.

Attachments

• DEFCD156-6172-44C9-A74B-8DE7FDFF9C1C.png
    DEFCD156-6172-44C9-A74B-8DE7FDFF9C1C.png
    563.9 KB · Views: 17