Muscadine and Scuppernong Time

bigbendmarine

5 year old buck +
Aerospacefarmer's post on his cider batch inspired me to share a similar post, albeit with southern fruits -- muscadines and scuppernongs!

I planted 5 varieties two years ago and this year was pleasantly surprised to have a pretty healthy crop, with plenty for eating and enough extra to press a few gallons of juice.

For anyone who might not be familiar with muscadines and scuppernongs they are grapes (muscadines are purple/black and scuppernongs are green/bronze varieties) that have been developed from southern wild grapes over 400 years into over 300 recognized cultivars. European bunch grapes that grow in drier more moderate regions won't grow in the south due to Pierce's disease, but blessedly muscadines and scuppernongs have adequate resistance. Words won't do justice to the taste but I find them MUCH more flavorful than standard grapes.

Set my vines up for double curtain production - have the primary trunk leading up to two arms / two wires, then branching both directions on each wire so one trunk really has four producing runners.

Double Curtain.jpg

The biggest scuppernong I have is "Carlos." EXTREMELY sweet and delicious!

Carlos 2.jpg

Carlos.jpg

Main juice producer is a smaller muscadine "Noble"... though smaller in diameter the entire vine was LOADED / got over 5 gallons of fruit from the single vine alone this year.

Noble.jpg
One other variety I love and am happy I planted is "Southern Home." The leaves have much more of an oak or ivy like appearance and the grapes themselves are more oblong and look almost like apples as they first begin to ripen and briefly have mixed red and green coloration before turning dark.

Southern Home 2.jpg

sweet, stuff for sure, up to 27% sugar on some of them, I tried a few hardy varieties here, but the deer ate the vines to death, may someday try again. Ison's is a pretty good source.

Versus coughing up bigger bucks for a more robust press this year, I went the poor man route and made my own out of Wally World plastic buckets and a tap purchased off Amazon for a few bucks. Put the grapes into a fine mesh bag, placed the bag inside of the buckets with holes, set the bucket with holes inside the bucket with the tap, hand crushed the gapes to get them open, then used the solid bucket to press down on the grapes, and let the juice strain down through the holes into the bucket with the tap... couldn't be much easier though next year I'm going to cut a round block out a few inches thick to sit on the grapes as when the buckets are pushed together the bottom of the top bucket stops an inch or two up because of the lid design. Actually put a lid on the top bucket, set it up on my truck bed so the spot hung over the tail gate, and sat on the top bucket.

Juice Press.jpg

My initial haul - about 95% noble grapes with a few Carlos thrown in.

Bucket Of Grapes.jpg

End result!

Grape Juice.jpg

sweet, stuff for sure, up to 27% sugar on some of them, I tried a few hardy varieties here, but the deer ate the vines to death, may someday try again. Ison's is a pretty good source.
Mikmaze, sure I would suffer the same fate if not for setting up my vines withing the confines of my "inside" yard. I've got 4 of 5 acres around my house fenced and have enough growing in the surrounding 100 outside the inner fence that they rarely try breaching the inner fence. Think I ordered one from Ison's as they are one of the best sources in the south, but got the rest from "Just Fruits and Exotics" that is only about 20 miles from my place. Few other members will probably recognize the "Just Fruits" name as though a moderate sized nursery they really do provide some more exotic options hard to find elsewhere such as jujubes.

that juice looks dang good, be a shame if some yeast got in a bottle or two............

When will the wine be ready lol