Great Lakes Cider Apple Links

rocksnstumps

5 year old buck +
Ran across some info from MSU - Michigan State University recently and might be of interest to others. Couple points to note. They try to classify apples per the typical 4 categories sweet, sharp, bittersweet, bittersharp and give evaluations for apples actually grown in upper midwest conditions during 2018 and 2019 which may be a different clasification than traditionally assigned. Such as a variety is more of a bittersweet in Michigan vs. normally labeled as sweet in other parts of the country or climates.

Also of interest was research for red juice cider apples. The two they mention most promising are "Otterson" and "Cranberry". Have not heard of either one before.

https://ciderapples.msu.edu/

https://ciderapples.msu.edu/red-juice-apples/index.html

That is interesting I have no interest in red cider but that is still interesting.

A year ago, my wife and I attended a meeting where the U of Minnesota was evaluating some European varieties for cider use and for growing in Minnesota. I also happened to meet another wild crab enthusiast there. He sells some deer crabs and watches for roadside varieties. We both felt the U of M was kind of on the wrong track as they were testing European varieties for hardiness. Researchers felt that American tastes might trend toward what European cider is like. We have plenty of bitters and other varieties growing wild in central Minnesota. Turns out he and I had been watching the same tree for awhile(decades for me). We taste tested it and it is a true bitter.

I know that Ryan from Blue Hill has had contact with some of those in the cider apple tree business as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran into a gal yesterday who works for the state of WI that is actually more into the apple side of things but she was running the field day on hazelnuts and the efforts to get a commercial crop as an industry in the upper midwest.

Had to tell her that I'm just an amateur that might have a few cider trees that produce down the road but not a farmer or orchardist by any means. Would guess that if I poke around on WI university web sites might find more stuff too.