Mowing overgrown clover?

Maddog66

5 year old buck +
With all of the rain we’ve had this year I’ve only been able to partially mow my clover / chicory plots (5 acres) once. Even 4 weeks ago, any low spot either had standing water or was so soft I dared not go in. But I cut most of it about 8” tall (removed 4”). It absolutely blew up since then!! It’s thicker and “better” than I’ve ever seen it. The clover is probably 15-18” tall and the chicory bolted above that. The spots I didn’t cut last time are like mini jungles.

Should I be worried about taking too much off and causing problems? Should I find time to mow it twice, a week apart? Maybe mow it twice in one day with perpendicular passes to reduce buildup? General Advice?

**of course all of this assumes we stop getting 1-3” of rain every 48 hours for awhile.

I have never worried about taking too much off. I usually mow it as low as my lawn and as long as you get rain within the next few days it explodes with growth. Sounds like your soil still has plenty of moisture in it so I would say mow it down. As long as your soil doesn't dry out I don't think there is anything to worry about.

I once had to mow my plot twice with perpendicular passes. That was due to yellow sweet clover being so thick I couldn't walk through it. After you mow it the first time you'll see if there's too much debris there.

Why are you wanting to mow it? Do you have broadleaf weed problems? The science is pretty clear (see Dr. Craig Harper's work) that mowing clover is not only unnecessary but can do more harm than good. The youngest leaves on clover are the ones on top. Anecdotally I definitely see more use in my clover when it's "ugly" and it's also never too hard to get it back in shape in early fall. One thing I've done is take a backpack sprayer with 24db or clethodim and hit the problem areas. Saves time and money over spraying the entirety of the fields if you go that route. If you are deadset on mowing I'd be careful this time of year. I was always told we're never more than a week or two away from a drought. Not gunna do any harm to wait a bit closer to fall.

What are you mowing with? How low or tall can it be adjusted. Not much experience with chicory mowing, but clover is rather forgiving.

IF you reguarly mow food plot, I suggest you get something better than a brush hog. Finish mower or flail mower. Cuts alot cleaner, disperses cut grass more evenly.

If considering this, look at the shrouding on the finish more. Some are more open than others. Atleast sharpen the brush hog blades.

I wouldn't mow more than 50% of the height. Also, with a brush hog, try to adjust the idler wheel a bit better. IF mowing down to 8, like 6 or so. Might require a bit of work to do, or just sme more washers. You have weed issues? Sometimes it helps to mow, sometimes it doesn't depending on the weed. Might want to see rain in the future when mowing too. IF stressed already, leave alone for awhile. Woudln't wreck a plot just to trim it. Making ruts, drought stress.

If maintaining mostly clover permanently, consider weed control if your starting to need it. Some areas an handle a nice plot for awhile, some not. Think very rich soils collect too much nitrogen, seems sandier soils have lasted longer.

Thanks all!

Yes, I’d be using my rotary cutter. Right or wrong, I usually try to cut it high enough to remove most of the clover flowers and don’t worry about the chicory. Maybe 10” +/- but it varies based on operator skill and attention level 😉

The plots are generally nice and deer have been bedding in them hard, I assume to get away from the bugs. Other than being so tall I guess don’t have any problem with them at all….and I’m ok with a weed or 2. I just figured it was best not to let it get so mature and thick now.

Can I just google ‘Dr Harper Clover’ and read about advantages of not mowing it? Interested in that.

Not sure if this link will work, but if it doesn't, yes Google it and find the University of Tennessee link. Anything that's science based and saves me a ton of time I'm all in for!

Last time I mowed with a flail mower and I probably should have gone back over some of the thicker spots to chop it up a little better. I mow it short like my lawn as long as we're not in the middle of a heat wave. Probably won't mow again until the end of August now. It should start getting really hot with little rain here which is typical for July and August. This has not been a typical year so far but I'll hold off mowing just to be safe.

Last time I mowed with a flail mower and I probably should have gone back over some of the thicker spots to chop it up a little better. I mow it short like my lawn as long as we're not in the middle of a heat wave. Probably won't mow again until the end of August now. It should start getting really hot with little rain here which is typical for July and August. This has not been a typical year so far but I'll hold off mowing just to be safe.
You have a flail mower, and didn't post a video of it in action?

Do what you will.

My advise, significantly downsize the size of your plot so that the deer keep it mowed for you. As someone once frequently said on this forum “the only food that matters is the food that ends up in a deers stomach”.

If it were me in your situation, I would split that plot in thirds. Keep 1/3 of it mowed as you wish and let the other 2/3 go.

Spray 1/3 of it and plant brassicas. Wait a month or more spray the other 1/3 and plant cereals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do what you will.

My advise, significantly downsize the size of your plot so that the deer keep it mowed for you. As someone once frequently said on this forum “the only food that matters is the food that ends up in a deers stomach”.

If it were me in your situation, I would split that plot in thirds. Keep 1/3 of it mowed as you wish and let the other 2/3 go.

Spray 1/3 of it and plant brassicas. Wait a month or more spray the other 1/3 and plant cereals.

What do you have for plots and how big are they?

I like to leave clovers go no more than 3 years then follow them with brassicas.

My beans always do fantastic when following brassicas.

Fall is a great time to plant clovers. They can be broadcast into yellowing beans with a mix of winter grains.

You are always best advised to have a good rotation and depending on how big your plot(s) are and your deer numbers it can work to your advantage in more ways than you may think.

I have 4 one acre plots I’ve been rotating parts of out of clover / chicory and into brassicas / legumes (plus clover /chicory/ WR) each late summer.

Then frost seeding more clover/chicory in late winter. It’s been working out great.

But by this time each year the clover / chicory is fully back in charge.

***point is taken that I have way more food than the deer can eat right now.

I read the DR H article. Very interesting.

MY home food plot is a little over a 1/2 acre, but will be doing 3rds like St said. I have heavier clay and have to do tillage for compaction. Using a large walk behind rototiller.

Have seen the mowing and weed response issue. I tend to think due to my compaction, letting it not being mowed is worse. Good stuff can't grow as tall as bad stuff. Red aramath is my problem. Tried spraying it with roundup this spring, was looking rough for awhile, but most of the plot recovered. Might of went too hot.

One thing far as mowing goes, I look for seedheads on the clover. Looks for some mature / dead black looking ones.

What clovers do you have in there, need to order some for this year. Liely just ladino and medium red with oats and turnips as nurse crop, then some rye few weeks later

You have a flail mower, and didn't post a video of it in action?
The only thing I can get to post is my copy and paste of everyone else's memes. Tried pictures and I'm too damn dumb to get it to work.