All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mowing a clover and chicory plot

Peeps

5 year old buck +
image.jpg I have a plot of clover and chicory that was frost seeded into WR in the spring. After the WR died out I used my drag to knock it down and the clover and chicory is growing nicely. Pic is from a few weeks ago. My question is about mowing it next year. What is the lowest height I can cut it at? All I have to mow it is my riding lawn mower which seems pretty short even at its highest setting. If need be I could look at renting a cutter for the day but I would like to avoid that if possible. I did cut a swath with my rider before knocking the rye down and that clover is short but pretty thick.

How big is the plot? Maybe deer will keep it knocked down. I've used a rider before and some times you can gain a little more height if you move some pins around(check how the deck is held on).

How big is the plot? Maybe deer will keep it knocked down. I've used a rider before and some times you can gain a little more height if you move some pins around(check how the deck is held on).

The plot is pretty small so that is deff a possibility. Having the deer be my mower would be great. Then if I could teach them to cut my lawn as well. I will have to take a look at the lower deck settings to see if I can raise it. That would work better for mowing my lawn as well with all my exposed roots I try not to hit.

If the clover grows just normal, you will have a hell of a time mowing it with any regular lawn mower. Deck will plug and it will leave clumps everywhere. I would mow early and often if that is all you have for a mower!

I second mow early and often . I typically mow 3 or 4 times a year and fertilize with 50 lbs 0-0-60 and 100 lbs lime per quarter acre in fall mid to late August . Deer will use early in spring plus will promote next years growth.. I mow at 6 inches and some areas do to pitching may only be 4 inches. Your rider should do fine use good set of blades and make sure clover dry on top and not currently under stress. I do in rows so I only cut half at time. Deer will avoid for week or more if you cut all. Not there is no clover or chicory to eat but it appears odor so intense after cut they dislike to get nose down in. Plus you have safety of no rain.

The plot in pics was planted last spring so nice and lush this year.

2015-07-02 15-15-14 M 3_3.JPG

Note all deer avoiding cut area

2015-07-02 20-06-21 M 1_3.JPG

In few weeks all is good again ( with good rainy year like this one)

2015-07-15 19-15-00 T_001.JPG

That could be the best clover plot I have seen. If your plot is small you can use a weed whacked to skim the tops off. It keeps the weeds from seeding out.

Peeps,

Mo knows a lot more about mowing foodplots than I'll ever know (no pun intended) but, the only thing I'd add is keep an eye on it. If your soil is sandy you may want to time your mowings in front of a good rain. Mine go dormant in July heat if they are cut. The rain helps perk them up. The mowing definitely helps clover fill in kills annual weeds.
I've said it on other threads but, look around on Craigslist for walk behind DR brushcutters for $1200 range. I use mine to keep trails open and mow my plots. Fits in my truck easy with ramps. They'll last 15-20 years easily. If you progress and get a tractor or other hardware you could sell and get your money back.
my buddy has one of those DR's and that thing is a beast! he lets me borrow it. its easy enough to load in the truck with ramps by myself too....and it flat out works. he has two mower heads for it a brush mower and a finish mower.