Moving from RR to Liberty beans and corn

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
Well I looked at the spray cost and reviews on spraying with Liberty to burn down as opposed to GLY and the cost per acre is less so I am going to give it a try. Anyone else with food plots switch over?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use interline to kill my mares tail which is the generic spray for Liberty I believe,I actually mix with roundup for burn down

No, but I'm considering it. Marestail has become a problem for us. This year, I decided to pass on the beans and focus on controlling the marestail. I sprayed with 24D, will plant buckwheat a month later, and see if spraying is required in the fall before planting my fall mix. I was hoping to go back to RR beans next year but if marestail continues to be a problem, liberty is a possibility.

Can you share the assumptions you used in your cost per acre calculation with us?

Thanks,

Jack

I don't know about cheaper, haven't done the math on paper, but I have no choice. I need a couple years to get control of resistant weeds. Not sure where or who will sell it to me locally and when I'm at the farm I don't have time to run around looking for unicorns. Just ordered 2, 2.5 gallon jugs of Liberty 280SL from keystone at $190 a jug.

At 22 to 29 oz per acre compared to two Qts of gly per acre it's more $. But.....when you're stuck you're stuck. Pigweed has been devastating my beans and the marestail is right on its heels.

Im in the same position in Minnesota with the water hemp! Gly seems to fertilize it... Im going to be putting in mor corn this year and hitting it early with 24D to see if that helps.

I use interline to kill my mares tail which is the generic spray for Liberty I believe,I actually mix with roundup for burn down

Well the mares tail is an issue for me too. If I add 24D to my round up that really is more expensive than Liberty. I have not sprayed yet, but will this week. If not, I will have to mow before I spray. Plan to plant last week of May depending on weather. We have had a wet cold spring.

No, but I'm considering it. Marestail has become a problem for us. This year, I decided to pass on the beans and focus on controlling the marestail. I sprayed with 24D, will plant buckwheat a month later, and see if spraying is required in the fall before planting my fall mix. I was hoping to go back to RR beans next year but if marestail continues to be a problem, liberty is a possibility.

Can you share the assumptions you used in your cost per acre calculation with us?

Thanks,

Jack

Sure the cheapest I can find Gly is $31 for 2.5 acres. To get a really good burn down I need 3 qts per acre. 10 qts in 2.5 gal. So that is a price of $10 per acre to spray Gly. Liberty is $179 for 2.5 gallons, but it looks like 12 ounces per acre is the most I will need that is 26.6 acres in a 2.5 Gallon container. Price per acre is $6.72 per acre for Liberty. If I add to 24D to the Gly to kill the Mares Tale then the cost of Gly goes up even more.

I'm not going lite with the Liberty. I want stuff dead dead dead! :).

Where are you guys getting the seed and how does that cost compare??

Where are you guys getting the seed and how does that cost compare??

My local seed guy has it. I didn’t ask the price per bag. Again no choice. But my neighbor told me the seed wasn’t much more when he bought last year. I bet you can find them local. Their getting popular.

Sure the cheapest I can find Gly is $31 for 2.5 acres. To get a really good burn down I need 3 qts per acre. 10 qts in 2.5 gal. So that is a price of $10 per acre to spray Gly. Liberty is $179 for 2.5 gallons, but it looks like 12 ounces per acre is the most I will need that is 26.6 acres in a 2.5 Gallon container. Price per acre is $6.72 per acre for Liberty. If I add to 24D to the Gly to kill the Mares Tale then the cost of Gly goes up even more.

Is the seed cost a wash for you? Gly here is about $12.5/gal. For things like marestail, it doesn't matter how much gly apply, it just eats it. But for normal things 2 qt/ac gives me a good kill. That puts my gly cost at $6.25/ac which is close to your cost/ac for liberty. Given what Liberty can do, it seems like a better deal, but I have not looked at seed cost differential locally. Just wondered if there is much differential for you in seed cost.

Thanks,

Jack

Is the seed cost a wash for you? Gly here is about $12.5/gal. For things like marestail, it doesn't matter how much gly apply, it just eats it. But for normal things 2 qt/ac gives me a good kill. That puts my gly cost at $6.25/ac which is close to your cost/ac for liberty. Given what Liberty can do, it seems like a better deal, but I have not looked at seed cost differential locally. Just wondered if there is much differential for you in seed cost.

Thanks,

Jack

I just called my seed guy to check price. He said $50 to $57 a bag depending on what maturity number you want. So not a big difference if you’re not used to buying WTF year old RR beans.

I just called my seed guy to check price. He said $50 to $57 a bag depending on what maturity number you want. So not a big difference if you’re not used to buying WTF year old RR beans.

Sounding better and better. Anyone know of anyone selling liberty forage beans?

I think you may be going too light on your application of Liberty. From the reading I saw from OSU or Indiana you should apply 32oz per acre. Reading the label it looks like 32-43oz for burn down and 22-43 in season. Universities recommend 2 in season sprays. That's way more $ than you were planning for.

I think you may be going too light on your application of Liberty. From the reading I saw from OSU or Indiana you should apply 32oz per acre. Reading the label it looks like 32-43oz for burn down and 22-43 in season. Universities recommend 2 in season sprays. That's way more $ than you were planning for.

You are right, I was looking at the chart backwards. For Marestail it is 29 oz per acre. So that makes it $16 per acre for me.

Gly would be $10 per acre. I can’t ever get away with just 2qts per acre. So if I add 24D for the Marestail, the rate is another $4.50 cents per acre. And, now that I looked at the label closer 2-4D does not list Marestail as a weed it controls. So liberty is $16 per acre and a little more than that Gly and 2-4,D. But like others the Marestail needs to die!

Forgot to mention a lot of seed that is RR tolerant is also Liberty Link as well, especially if you plant Pioneer.

You are right, I was looking at the chart backwards. For Marestail it is 29 oz per acre. So that makes it $16 per acre for me.

Gly would be $10 per acre. I can’t ever get away with just 2qts per acre. So if I add 24D for the Marestail, the rate is another $4.50 cents per acre. And, now that I looked at the label closer 2-4D does not list Marestail as a weed it controls. So liberty is $16 per acre and a little more than that Gly and 2-4,D. But like others the Marestail needs to die!

The problem with 24d is the soil residual effect. You have to wait to plant beans and there are specific procedures for planting them. This narrows the planting window for those of us with heavy browse pressure. I need to wait for marestail to green up then spray then wait and then plant the beans. If I get a weather event and something gets delayed in the chain, does have fawns on the ground and hit the beans hard before they are established. ...another advantage of liberty.

Forgot to mention a lot of seed that is RR tolerant is also Liberty Link as well, especially if you plant Pioneer.

I didn't realize that. That could really help with cost. If I could use liberty for burndown and then gly for post emergence it would also cut the cost. Are the seeds marked both liberty link and RR?

Thanks,

Jack

Yes, if you look on the tag they will say Roundup Ready and Liberty Link.

This is what you will see on a tag for seed that is Roundup Ready and Liberty LInk IMG_7270.JPG

Thanks,

Jack

Marestail laughs and 2,4-D here, as well.