MN Wolf Report

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Just ran through my issue of the MN ODN this afternoon. Looks like there were two new cases of wolves causing trouble. One, in Northome, a wolf attacked someones dog. The other, a wolf was taken by Wadena that was preying on a farmers livestock.

Is there an easy way to tell a wolf from a coyote? We look at pictures all the time and they look so similar I don't know if I could tell one from the other?

Is there an easy way to tell a wolf from a coyote? We look at pictures all the time and they look so similar I don't know if I could tell one from the other?

Just assume they're all coyotes in person.

s/look up close/s/s

Yup, no wolves outside of BWCA area from what I know.

On a more serious note, a local farmer in our area lost 7 of 45 calves over the summer. While they probably could have done a better job keeping track of them and doing more regular counts, but there was never sign of the kills found. The large coyotes clean things up when eating veal, the bones must be soft.

Rule for shooting a wolf when you have livestock or pets is that it has to be an immediate threat:

“Immediate threat” means the observed behavior of a wolf in the act of stalking, attacking, or killing livestock, a guard animal, or a domestic pet under the supervision of the owner.

Good chance a wolf anywhere on our farm is either stalking cattle or the farm dog. We are in the clear.

Pretty much this time of unless it's a REALLY big coyote you'll know.10-3-14 SE 40 Plot (1).JPG

Generally in person, if it is a wolf you will know it. Had a family member tell a story about how they were looking out into their pasture at what they thought was a coyote.......... then it stood up. Wolves are almost as tall as a deer.

On camera it can be tough to tell though. If you can compare heights to deer that can help. Generally yotes have pointed noses and look compact to me. Wolves look more rounded in the face and lanky legs. Another clue on camera is yotes and wolves generally dont mix. So if you know you have a one on camera the others in that time frame are probably the same.