MN Gun Opener Reports

Very Nice Riggs!

Nice buck, congratulations to your niece.

I saw several does this morning but no bucks. Shots were down this year but there was shooting. The wind was not horrible but not good either.

My neighbors picking his corn, maybe he will move some bucks.

I will 2nd that! Nice deer.

I had a doe and fawn come through at 10:00. I think mid week through Fri was the best time to get it done unfortunately my #1 buck was 20 yds too far on Thurs.

I talked to five different parties across zone 1 and 2. Out of 16 hunters nobody has seen a deer. Half haven't heard more than five shots all day.

Hunting my Todd county place(240) saw 10 does and fawns this morning. Well above average shots heard in am. Pulled chips from cameras few big guys moving late afternoon hope to run into one of them. Very windy. Crops 95% plowed.

Saw 6 does today, had 2 tonight camp under my stand, very cool. Average shots today, plenty but not a ton. Neighbor is still picking his corn so having corn on my east boundary changes things allot. The corn will be gone in a day or so.

Windy this morning but not bad tonight

Light snow now, hopefully with the cold temps coming the chase will begin. Does look calm and did not look chased or pressured.

The Barracuda was home loading out straw all day and only heard 2 shots.........all day. Glad I am here!:D

Hunted until almost 9:00, not very long. I didn't see a deer and counted a dozen shots, with only 2 relatively close. I think about half of normal. The area was HC last year, Lottery this year. On the drive home through east central MN I noticed only a few standing corn fields.

Shot total today was 32, this includes bursts and follow ups. No deer seen. Couple shots sounded like they were within a mile of us. No legs sticking up outta truck beds anywhere. Did see what I thought was a turkey or an obese grouse fly up into a tree, and a small squirrel.

Missed a nice one out in the river bottom this morning. Can kick myself for not taking my time. Quite a few shots in the morning and a bit fewer this evening. Saw 6 total with 2 being bucks and the rest does and fawns.

For our group we had 2 decent bucks down, cousin hit a 15pt but lost blood on the neighbors, saw none this am but 9 this evening, one small buck, rest does and fawns

The kid connected on his first deer tonite at 5.15. Thought it was a doe when it popped out and he refused to shoot. Saw the horns and he was all game. Hears dad on the phone too much. Plenty proud of him.
arcusfirstdeer.JPG
Hawaii 5 joe killed the best buck he got pics of all year at 5 pm tonite. Rolled in like he owned the place.

joesbuck.jpg
Heard more gunfire than I thought I would today but the bucks that are here are rolling good. Set my oldest boy up in a stand that likely housed the biggest buck on the place, and sure enough the buck rolled through at 15 yards at 3 pm. He never saw the buck until it was on the neighbors and did the right thing and let him walk. 2 damn good kids I had afield today. Proud of both of them.

Our group of 5 on my land.......saw 20 does/fawns/nubbins, and four bucks (spike/fork/six and eight). 10 of those does were in a one group at my grandson's stand. My SIL shot a small rack 8 pointer. (200 lbs live weight / 160 lbs after gutting. ) I missed on a coyote. :(

My game camera happened to catch this picture of that eight pointer just as my son-in-law shot this deer. I think you can see the bullet impact of a high shoulder shot.
when shot-43.JPG

Congrats to all who had success.

Pretty quiet this morning. Still no deer. Not much traffic at all on the road. Only heard 6 shots this morning. Got about an inch of crunchy snow on the ground now.

A decent number of shots this a.m. Spooked two on my way in this a.m. that was all I saw. Sounds like we're gonna get nailed with snow tomorrow so I came back and got the plow hooked up and getting everything out of the way for plowing snow...yay :confused: Long range
forecast looks like once the snow comes...it isn't leaving anytime soon. Winter begins November 10 this year, wonder when it ends?

You are new to Minnesota, May 10th of course. You better add some provisions/Beverages of choice as its going to get allot worse.

Slow here this morning, no sightings and few shots. Locals will probably start driving this afternoon so deer sightings on my place should go up.

Its a long drive to WI to buy beer..seeing as I live in the People's Republic of Minnesota and can't buy beer on Sunday:rolleyes:

A true Minnesotan would have enough beer and not have to worry about a Sunday purchase.