MN Gun Opener Reports

Out of about 15 hunters I talked to there was 1 small 8 and 1 nice 8.

Havent seen a deer yet. Nuts.
Dad has seen none.
Son passed on a 6pt and doe.
Nephew passed on 2 antlerless deer.

Talked to neighbors on east side. 2 guys neither saw a deer.

The crew on our west went 2 for 7. They pass on no deer so sightings were minimal.They shot the big 9 i had on cam.

Shots in the area are very low it seems.

foggy, looks like your camp is having a very good season. congrats!

and congrats to the others that have harvested already, and good luck to the others

Nice deer in photos... Guys!

Saw a red fox for the first time in months, but no deer.

One of my neighbors said there were 40 deer in another neighbor's cut corn field, and if that's the case my traffic is about over if the snow tomorrow is heavy like predicted.

Saw a couple does and fawns over the weekend. Bucks either moved on or found some ladies to hunker down with. Frustrating gun hunt for me as my property won't tolerate to much pressure.

Ok, how do you post pictures on the forum from a Droid phone? I have the picture uploaded to photo bucket but can't past the url

Help.

Ok, this guy came buy about 5:30 following one of my rows of crab apples.in my NWSG, he was definitely chasing and on the move. I always hate gutting deer in the dark, but now it's time for a porter.:)

1415583029_zps7eb6db2d.jpg
[/URL]

Was able to shoot this dark antlered 9 pointer yesterday afternoon. Haven't weighed it or measured it at all yet. Heading home tomorrow with the snow coming. Blessing in disguise as my bow spot goes cold after a big snow. All by himself and that'sthe only deer I saw all day. Area 197. Was hoping a wolf would come into the gutpile today but no such luck.

Saturday evening I saw 3 fawns and 1 doe and a buck came out right at end of shooting hours on the field but I could hardly see it through the trees and it was probably close to 200 yards away. It was moving pretty quickly with its head down to the doe but they were behind some trees so couldn't see much.

One of the fawns was a button buck that came to my little food plot at about 3:40 and stayed for just over an hour and bedded down for about 25 minutes 40 yards away so that was fun to watch. Trail camera photos showed that his mom got chased around by a fork on Friday so she must have still been locked down he was sticking to what he knew. Fat little guy has ate a lot of rye and brassica leaves. Had him in the same spot while bow hunting.

Only heard 2 shots Saturday morning. About 15-20 shots in the evening. No shots this morning and I didn't hunt the evening.

Saw a very nice 10 ptr west of Foreston off hwy 23 at about 4:30 on the drive home. 50 yards from the road. Saw close to 20 deer between Milaca and St. Cloud from 4:30 to dark. Never more than 3 in one spot.

Talked to a few different people, one neighbor shot a fork, one guy shot a small 8 on public land to the west a couple miles. Other guys hunting 10 miles south shot 3 yearling spikes/forks.

Only person I know of that got a doe tag is my cousin who lives a few miles away. He was going to let his daughter shoot a doe for it so they could get the meat I guess.

Nice bucks guys!

Just saw 1 small buck and a fawn today. It was pretty quiet around me but that's to be expected on a Sunday in amish country.

Good bucks!!

Good to see success

Texted with the bro I law tonite and if 215 is up he will be shocked. He is pissed.

I saw 7 does tonight and shot a buck. I took an eight pointer. That makes two eights and a ten point for our party of five. Nothing huge...but we had a great time and everyone saw and passed on several deer. My grandsons refused to shoot any does and were hunting good bucks only. They did not score though.

All of our bucks weighed within a few lbs of 200 lbs. My grandson is going to hunt next weekend too. We were in Emily tonight at the processor there. He said they had more deer than other years and it was busy all day. I had to brake hard three times to avoid deer on our 50 mile round trip. We saw 20 deer on that drive tonite.

Also we have laid off the does and smaller bucks for a few years...so we have a fair inventory at my property. Better than expected for my immediate area. As I said before....my area is a bit of an anomaly in MN. We'll see if the stats bear me out.

CROP-43.JPG

Last edited:
I saw 7 does tonight and shot a buck. I took an eight pointer. That makes two eights and a ten point for our party of five. Nothing huge...but we had a great time and everyone saw and passed on several deer. My grandsons refused to shoot any does and were hunting good bucks only. They did not score though.

All of our bucks weighed within a few lbs of 200 lbs. My grandson is going to hunt next weekend too. We were in Emily tonight at the processor there. He said they had more deer than other years and it was busy all day. I had to brake hard three times to avoid deer on our 50 mile round trip. We saw 20 deer on that drive tonite.

Also we have laid off the does and smaller bucks for a few years...so we have a fair inventory at my property. Better than expected for my immediate area. As I said before....my area is a bit of an anomaly in MN. We'll see if the stats bear me out.

Congrats Foggy!

Saw a couple fawns today, and I have proof.
MFDC0393.JPG

Ended up 0 for 5 in area 240. Third year in a row.o_O

I saw one deer off in the brush and couldnt even tell you if it was a fawn, doe or a young buck.
Group passed on 3 antlerless and one 6 pt.

Congrats to all that had success.

Cool pics everyone.

Foggy how did the camp pranks go over?