MN bills introduced to allow crossbows during archery season.

Wind Gypsy

5 year old buck +
Just saw that there are two bills out there currently to allow crossbows during archery season. As if having OTC rifle season during peak rut and OTC muzzleloader season allowing scopes and smokeless powder during post rut doesn’t keep the hunt quality beaten down enough. They already allow crossbows for 60+ and people with physical limitations.

Nothing against people who hunt with crossbows, just the seemingly never ending push to make hunting easier and easier and chase endless opportunity.

They need to kill deer. They are already getting to a point where they're struggling to keep a lid on the population where their benefactors need them wiped out. I wish it were in my neighborhood, but it is happening in lots of places. As hunter generations age out, the number of people that will be willing to process a deer, possess the know how to prepare a deer, and actually eat a deer, will decline quickly.

I'm more worried about deer being killed off genetically than by crossbows, and unfortunately, the move to sterilize and degrade the wild herd is well underway and possibly already over.

The goal isn't to make it easier, isn't to recruit new hunters, isn't to manage the resource. It's simply to make money. When a crossbow manufacturer approaches lawmakers and promises tax revenues through massive product sales and less insurance problems through a reduced herd they jump on board. Hunter desires are the last on the list of considerations when money is involved. A good example beside deer regulations are wolfs. Well funded wolf foundations under the disguise of environmentalists win over herd management every time.

I certainly think cross bows are a lot easier to be proficient at.

in Minnesota they only allow one antelered deer.

I am of the opinion more archers would perhaps lower firearm pressure.

If they eliminiated party hunting for antelered deer 🦌 I think that would improve things.

The goal isn't to make it easier, isn't to recruit new hunters, isn't to manage the resource. It's simply to make money. When a crossbow manufacturer approaches lawmakers and promises tax revenues through massive product sales and less insurance problems through a reduced herd they jump on board. Hunter desires are the last on the list of considerations when money is involved. A good example beside deer regulations are wolfs. Well funded wolf foundations under the disguise of environmentalists win over herd management every time.

The thing is I doubt these bills would go anywhere if it weren’t for a bunch of casual hunters loving the idea of being able to hunt a lot more with the purchase of a crossbow. I know mn residents who hunt WI solely because they allow crossbows.

The thing is I doubt these bills would go anywhere if it weren’t for a bunch of casual hunters loving the idea of being able to hunt a lot more with the purchase of a crossbow. I know mn residents who hunt WI solely because they allow crossbows.
Agree. Have you studies the WI inclusion data? Hunter totals have remained basically the same for all 3 categories combined; rifle steady, archery down significantly, crossbow up equally as much as archery went down. It gives the impression that rifle guys tried the crossbow but didn't stick with it and that a huge amount of compound guys just switched. No real increase of number of hunters, just shifts.

^^^ probably a decent read that mostly shifts but not adding a bunch of new participants.

I don't archery hunt but many friends do. The over 50 crowd has all switched to crossbows and even the younger ones are sliding that way as they borrow grandpa's rig to take their young kids aka the grandkids out to archery hunt when they still too young to shoot a vertical bow but can use a crossbow for that first hunt. Just my observation but outta maybe 20 some hunters can think of one that went from gun only to adding a crossbow to their season. Otherwise not pulling in new recruits but shifts as noted

I agree 100%

Agree. Have you studies the WI inclusion data? Hunter totals have remained basically the same for all 3 categories combined; rifle steady, archery down significantly, crossbow up equally as much as archery went down. It gives the impression that rifle guys tried the crossbow but didn't stick with it and that a huge amount of compound guys just switched. No real increase of number of hunters, just shifts.

I haven’t read any studies but I have looked at harvest data. Crossbow buck harvest has climbed to almost what the archery harvest was pre-crossbow while actual bow harvest is almost half what it used to be. Without further context, that suggests a notable increase in buck harvest because of crossbows being legalized.

Last edited:
While I am no longer a “Minnesotan” all three of our kids were born in the Northwoods, and my wife’s family still farm near Tower. My early days of hunting were in Minnesota, and I anticipate one day returning to hunt. As a hunter who started with a compound bow, after shoulder surgery my doctor wrote a waiver to allow me to use a crossbow. A few years later, Missouri legalized crossbows for everyone. I have not seen the quality of hunting diminished, nor has the joy of the hunt been lessoned since I am using a crossbow.

The cross bow has allowed us to re-engage several senior hunters this past year (see https://deerassociation.com/senior-field-to-fork-hunt/nda-senior-ftf-group/ for a picture of some of those who engaged in a series of three hunts).

I personally found if I am not stand hunting with a cross bow, a recurve seems more effective than a compound especially in close tight quarters.

( under 20 yards)

the compound just broadcasts such awkwardness when being drawn, and the peep pins being acquired and then aimed.

a recurve shot is much smoother and less disturbing to game.

While I am no longer a “Minnesotan” all three of our kids were born in the Northwoods, and my wife’s family still farm near Tower. My early days of hunting were in Minnesota, and I anticipate one day returning to hunt. As a hunter who started with a compound bow, after shoulder surgery my doctor wrote a waiver to allow me to use a crossbow. A few years later, Missouri legalized crossbows for everyone. I have not seen the quality of hunting diminished, nor has the joy of the hunt been lessoned since I am using a crossbow.

The cross bow has allowed us to re-engage several senior hunters this past year (see https://deerassociation.com/senior-field-to-fork-hunt/nda-senior-ftf-group/ for a picture of some of those who engaged in a series of three hunts).

60+ is already fair game for crossbow in MN.

Reactions: 356
They need to kill deer. They are already getting to a point where they're struggling to keep a lid on the population where their benefactors need them wiped out. I wish it were in my neighborhood, but it is happening in lots of places. As hunter generations age out, the number of people that will be willing to process a deer, possess the know how to prepare a deer, and actually eat a deer, will decline quickly.

I'm more worried about deer being killed off genetically than by crossbows, and unfortunately, the move to sterilize and degrade the wild herd is well underway and possibly already over.
If "they" need to kill deer, then LFG with it. I can kill two deer in the 200 series zone that I own 160 acres in. Two. TWO. Used to be one several years back. Imagine having the decision between shooting one doe all season or one buck all season. Ive lived here 10 years, the "bonus" tag came into play about 6 or 7 years ago. Now I have the chance to at least shoot one either/or. What a joke
20221207_165341.jpg
I routinely see 30-50 deer a night in December and can only harvest one doe unless I want to sacrifice my buck tag. What are we doing here?

Sell tags for $3 to anyone who wants them. Problem solved.
This state and their DNR are a total joke. It's hard enough advancing a buck to the next age class with a rifle season during the rut, now this?

Last edited:

The figures I've seen for hunter recruitment show the country moving towards a cliff. Once the baby boomers stop hunting numbers are going to start falling drastically. There are a number of NDA and Meateater articles about it. If this is the case, I think it would support implementing easier hunting methods like crossbows. I feel like this is where conservation departments are coming from.

Do you remember where you saw those numbers?

I’m against crossbows during the archery season . For those disabled and over age 60 that makes sense . Current regs in Minnesota are fine.

I’m against crossbows during the archery season . For those disabled and over age 60 that makes sense . Current regs in Minnesota are fine.
Agree knock yourself out for crossbows during gun season but no need to lower the bar during archery season.

Being a bow hunter used to mean something. Getting good with a bow took practice and getting close enough to a deer to kill him cleanly took skill.

Then came the worst to things to ever happen to it. Legalized Baiting and crossbows. The easy buttons of the sporting world. Today, IMO, “bowhunting” is 70 yard shots and corn piles. So easy 5 year olds can do it.

We got into bow hunting BECAUSE it was hard. Yesterday I saw a young lady on tv shooting an arrow out of an air gun at over 400fps with scary accuracy. Still bowhunting? How long before Mn allows those too?

I understand the deer don’t really care how they die, but does everything have to come without practice or skill or dues paid?

Never mind, I know the answer.

FYI, be prepared to be called an anti-hunter and all manner of slurs, if you don’t jump on this easy-button train. Think of the kids…don’t-ya-know. 👍

Being a bow hunter used to mean something. Getting good with a bow took practice and getting close enough to a deer to kill him cleanly took skill.

The came the worst to things to ever happen to it. Legalized Baiting and crossbows. The easy buttons of the sporting world. Today, IMO, “bowhunting” is 70 yard shots and corn piles. So easy 5 year olds can do it.

We got into bow hunting BECAUSE it was hard. Yesterday I saw a young lady on tv shooting an arrow out of an air gun at over 400fps with scary accuracy. Still bowhunting? How long before Mn allows those too?

I understand the deer don’t really care how they die, but does everything have to come without practice or skill or dues paid?

Never mind, I know the answer.

FYI, be prepared to be called an anti-hunter and all manner of slurs, if you don’t jump on this easy-button train. Think of the kids…don’t-ya-know. 👍
Participation trophy has made its way to hunting

The figures I've seen for hunter recruitment show the country moving towards a cliff. Once the baby boomers stop hunting numbers are going to start falling drastically. There are a number of NDA and Meateater articles about it. If this is the case, I think it would support implementing easier hunting methods like crossbows. I feel like this is where conservation departments are coming from.

Do you remember where you saw those numbers?

Man I didn’t think it was that bad in regards to hunter recruitment. My impression was that the loss of places to hunt is outpacing actual loss of hunters. There are 14 deer hunters per square mile where my land is. How many do we need?

Recruitment seems like a cop out for industry trying to sell stuff. Most people on this board didn’t need a youth season to get hooked on hunting but MN has their special youth firearm season now during oct archery season. Im not sure why just hunting peak rut with a gun wasnt good enough for recruitment. It doesn’t make any sense. Whats next if crossbows isn’t easy enough?

Just frustrating to see next to no bucks make it past 2 years old and feel like we need to just keep finding ways to make things easier for people to kill more of them..

We’ve been down a long road hoping and fighting for a change in direction from the state. This site was born out of the banning of MDDI guys from the QDMA forum.

What I’ve learned after ten years of this government shit is this:

**Government is an agent of death in anything they touch. Their job is to kill everything. Nothing nefarious there, it’s just what government does. That includes any wildlife that threatens progress.

**If you want good deer hunting, that’s up to you. I had to go big time on food quality and cover to consolidate deer on my property. It worked and I had the best numbers ever last year. Everyone else said it’s the worst it’s ever been around my township.

**In wolf country, a crossbow will do you no good when it comes to harvesting big bucks. I hunted with one for three years now (destroyed shoulder from football), and it maybe gives 10-15 extra yards over a compound. I’ve started seeing big bucks, and they don’t wander around in a food plot for two hours in the daylight like they do south of the wolf belt. You might get 1-3 seconds to whack that big bastard as he runs his hoes off the food and back to the shag pad.

#SauceIt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk