Maybe QDMA is feeling are wrath.

Just a "for instance" we ain't going anywhere :)

Most don't know how true that is! Basically the TOS with Godaddy lets them kill you anytime they like or force you to upgrade to a significantly more expensive service. Even though I had "unlimited" shared service, which doesn't mean unlimited, they decided I had uploaded too many files and they didn't like it. They shut me down and it took several weeks to negotiate myself back online. This is not unique to godaddy. Almost all of the shared account hosting services have a similar line in the TOS that says we have the right to shut you down if we believe anything you are doing affects the performance of our server. They can use that to pretty much kill you with no notice for just about any reason.

I have one more year before my Godaddy contract ends. They were willing to refund the difference if we had not come to terms, but I did not have the time to deal with moving. I'm not looking at hyper-v type service. This kind of service is more expensive and more work since you need to manage the OS and IIS as well as your web site, but you have much more control. Since you can even crash your OS without affecting other users of the server, that limitation that is in shared accounts is not used in hyper-v accounts. You basically have a certain amount of disk space, cpus, and bw that are allocated to your OS.

Some time next year, I'll start the process of setting up a low-end hyper-v service and testing it to make sure all my existing stuff runs. I hope to be off Godaddy by the time my contract ends.

Thanks,

Jack

Do the kind Admins ever open a tip jar here?

Do the kind Admins ever open a tip jar here?

Nope not yet and no plans of doing so.
We are the only habitat/deer site with zero advertising. You don't have to scroll past an advertisement to get where you want to go here. No hidden buck on the bag guys funding it. It's just us here with zero distractions.

John pays for this because he want a place like we found at the Q site 10 plus years ago free of clutter.

I've offered help and get/got shot down. Bueller and I work it for free because we believe in what we're doing.

That's not to say guys making $ on the industry are not welcome. We had the owner of cuddeback post, Steve B used to be a regular until he got to busy. Jeff hasn't found us but he's welcome.

I'd like a place for the industry guys to post someday. But not for $. Just to help/inform us. No plans of accepting $ from them. We don't want to be pushed in a direction for $.

We're a little site with no sponsors and no $ incentive. 3 years in and we're still a small presence on the net. But after 3 years we're still kicking and plan to continue.

I ran an ISP dial up company in the 90's and sold it. Haven't stayed on top of things like Jack has. But if I have to pay for a Fiber line and a server I'm good with that. But John won't let me :)

This place is sooooo much better without the senseless bickering and fighting over different opinions. Ask for help here and you get help---I like that concept. THANK YOU

Bill, John & Bueller, that's very admirable and quite appreciated. You obviously have a loyal following. Thanks again for the wonderful site.

I was late to the game at QDMA and was just starting food plotting. I learned a lot there but over here it has been sooo much better. This is one of my favorite forums on the Net where there are actual discussions and very few arguments. People really seem to respect each others opinion and like to learn and share. Thank you very much for this place.

Chuck

I will say, there are some members I miss from the old forum. When the forum split, there was a bunch of smart fellas that now post on the other site, and not much here. While I know I can visit the other site, it just doesnt feel homey as it does here.

I will say, there are some members I miss from the old forum. When the forum split, there was a bunch of smart fellas that now post on the other site, and not much here. While I know I can visit the other site, it just doesnt feel homey as it does here.

I agree. I thoroughly enjoy this place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of that had to do with our wild west days. When the QDMA forum was closing, several good folks tried their best to fill the void. While this forum was pretty well established, it was highly regional in flavor, and a few folks were not too welcoming. Lots of folks from the old forum didn't want to deal with the drama here during that period and made a home on Cutman's Deer Hunter forum. I wish them all the best and even monitor that forum from time to time when I get a chance, but this is my home now and I post here. I wish we had made the transition to the more collegiate environment soon enough that more folks landed here, but that is all in the rear view mirror now. Now is the time to look forward.

Thanks,

jack

Want to know why the QDMA forum died and why they had to "control the message"......that way they could get things like this to happen.....
QDMA sellout.jpg
We are not hurting them.....they are now getting exactly what they wanted.....SPONSORSHIP/MONEY!

Q has always been about $$$$$$$$. Branch's that didn't exist. Local reps who never return calls or emails. I think more and more people are starting to realize this now.

Not sure who is on FB or not, but there is a group called "Habitat managers" there and a guy asked if joining the Q was worth it or not......

Not sure who is on FB or not, but there is a group called "Habitat managers" there and a guy asked if joining the Q was worth it or not......

Don't do FB. But tell him no. If they'll let
Me. I can sign over my life membership for a $1.

Don't do FB. But tell him no. If they'll let
Me. I can sign over my life membership for a $1.
I wasn't shy about my 2 cents worth.......lots of folks still gobbling that Q message up with a spoon however. Felt like a salmon swimming against the current on that post, but that's alright......

I just had a thought.....dangerous I know!

When the Q started taking corporate sponsorship money.....it gave those corporations some power and influence over the Q and thus eroded the value and worth of the paying members. As the sponsorship money grows, and grows.....the membership worth erodes further and further. Eventually the organization is nothing more than a front for these corporate sponsors, yet the organization will claim they represent the membership and policy and the "message" will be certainly influenced along the way buy the corporate dollar! Very similar in how our government claims to represent us, yet they are backed by special interest groups which then influence policy more for the benefit of those special interest groups and NOT those they claim they represent! Only difference is that - people pay the Q to screw them in this way......our government does it to us for free!

If I was a member of the Q - I would be VERY interested to know what funding comes form members and what comes from outside influences.....that's going to show you who the Q really represents!

I wasn't shy about my 2 cents worth.......lots of folks still gobbling that Q message up with a spoon however. Felt like a salmon swimming against the current on that post, but that's alright......

I just had a thought.....dangerous I know!

When the Q started taking corporate sponsorship money.....it gave those corporations some power and influence over the Q and thus eroded the value and worth of the paying members. As the sponsorship money grows, and grows.....the membership worth erodes further and further. Eventually the organization is nothing more than a front for these corporate sponsors, yet the organization will claim they represent the membership and policy and the "message" will be certainly influenced along the way buy the corporate dollar! Very similar in how our government claims to represent us, yet they are backed by special interest groups which then influence policy more for the benefit of those special interest groups and NOT those they claim they represent! Only difference is that - people pay the Q to screw them in this way......our government does it to us for free!

If I was a member of the Q - I would be VERY interested to know what funding comes form members and what comes from outside influences.....that's going to show you who the Q really represents!

OMG! Did you actually use government and free in the same sentence!?!?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OMG! Did you actually use government and free in the same sentence!?!?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep - that's me a bleeding heart liberal talking about our government and free..... Actually I am wrong.....I guess my taxes essentially mean I am paying for the reaming!!!!

This is a good place and so is the Deer Forum being spoke of. After these have been around and as active as the old Q site, they will have just as much info available to help out others on their way to habitat tweaking.

I know I need to do some hinge cutting this winter. Hope I can make some posts about that.

So glad you guys started this site and heep it going! The number 1 place to advance our deer habitat and hunting knowledge. Love the ability to ask a question and get answers from people who are dedicated to helping each other!

I'm a learner....not a teacher on this site...lol!

This is a good place and so is the Deer Forum being spoke of. After these have been around and as active as the old Q site, they will have just as much info available to help out others on their way to habitat tweaking.

I know I need to do some hinge cutting this winter. Hope I can make some posts about that.

So glad you guys started this site and heep it going! The number 1 place to advance our deer habitat and hunting knowledge. Love the ability to ask a question and get answers from people who are dedicated to helping each other!

I'm a learner....not a teacher on this site...lol!

Both off shoot sites are smallish compared to when I found the QDMA forums. For me it's not a competition it's a compliment. I'm here because this was the brake out and it became my home. I'm a life member of QDMA but would never have even known who they we're with out finding the forum first.

I joined out of a feeling of guilt of using the forum for free.

As time goes on I think things will grow for all the forums. FB has a place but doesn't lend itself to detail.

FB is where the "look at me" grows. These cottage forums are where the "let us learn" together thing happens.

For the "learner" only guys. You already have something to say. We have thousands of viewers that never say a word. They may be seeking something you know.