Marathon County WI Land for Sale.....Would you Buy or Run Away

I'd really look for bedding and bedding cover when you walk it. All timber makes me a bit nervous as it usually isn't the best at holding deer. Having good bedding would be #1 for me along with a good neighborhood. You can create bedding but it's much easier if they are already using it.

How busy is that trail along the southern edge? Are ATV's and snowmobiles allowed on it?

I drove past this on 29 on the way to Wittenberg today. Some notes at 65 mph. Two hunting shacks on power lines visible from 29. South east of it is a swamp. Terrain is pretty flat. Timber looks fairly young, 6 - 10". I would look elsewhere.

Some other tools to help in future searches. You can google "WI Public Access Lands" and search by county at some DNR site. Here is surrounding area for that chunk. Sorry about pic that you cant really zoom in but you get the idea. The brown areas of county forest to the south are close by but completely cut off by Hwy 29. The county landfill area (light purple) looks like several hundred acres and the buffer they own is probably a deer sanctuary like area as most likely no hunting that woods around their working spots. But the commotion and noise from that and the highway would be rather distracting. Some more Ice Age trail public to north of landfill.

ringle pic.JPG

Get to know what your options are in the area you are looking at as far timber improvement,CRP and other plans that can reduce the amount of taxes.Don't pay more than it's worth unless it's worth it to you.What I mean is if it was 15 minutes from your house and really worked for you then it's worth it,example I had an 80 come up for sale and had first chance at it.Well this 80 attached to the rest of my land so it was worth more and I would have paid more but got it at a fair price so that was all the better.You will know it when you find it

Thank you for all of the thoughts. At this point I think I will pass on this property.

I need to not push so hard to find something. I have 2 issues. I am fed up with hunting public land. The other issue is I have 2 children under 5. I want to get them involved in hunting but I don't want them hunting public.

That all being said buying a bad property is not the answer. I appreciate all the advise. I will certainly take it all to heart. I undoubtedly will be back for more advise. In the meantime I will continue to lurk and learn.

Thank you

Is Crawford or Vernon County too far for you??

Bwoods, those are both over 3 hours from my house. We are aiming to keep it within an hour.

There are some nice acres over that way. My boss lives over there and they shoot a lot of nice bucks.

I live on a farm Marathon county and have a idea where that place is.

Also have 20 acres in waupaca (iola).

I say keep looking closer to home.

My tip is learn the neighbors before buying!! Even consider seeking out certain neighborhoods and approaching the owners to see if they'd sell to you. It happens.