Manchurian Crab - Grafted trees or Scion wood Source?

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
Looking for suggestions on where I can purchase Manchurian Crab scion wood or grafted trees? Not interested in seedling whips. Was planning on purchasing from Grandpa's Nursery, but they are out of stock for the spring. Looking for 6 - 8 trees.

Thanks!

I've not seen grafted Manchurian crabs? Manchurian is variable BTW...sometimes they're baccata...sometimes ranetka..

Grandpa Nursery showed them listed as M7 - is that grafted?

I can cover you for scionwood. Probably have 3-4 3 yr old seedling trees in my nursery as well. Like seedling Dolgos there is some variation amongst them.

I've got about 20 mature Manchurian crabs. They are pretty,but not worth much for deer.

I can cover you for scionwood. Probably have 3-4 3 yr old seedling trees in my nursery as well. Like seedling Dolgos there is some variation amongst them.
guys

Hey Turkey Creek, Many thanks for the offer on the seedling scion wood.!! My plan is to use the Manchurian crabs along with Snowdrift crabs to assist with the pollination of an apple orchard I am starting this year (planting 80 trees this year), I appreciate your offer, but I would like to stick with a grafted tree to limit possible variation.

Thanks again... ;)!!

Variation?

If you got scions from a tree known to have the fruit size/characteristics you want...there'd be zero variation in the resulting trees.
True, but I have always wondered how the red sports like Haralred have developed. I hear they came from one limb of a tree.

Yes there are other sport mutations that originated in the same manner. Grafting is pretty fool proof but mother nature can throw you a nice curve ball every once in awhile!:)