Loss of a legend

Very nice write up chummer, appreciate you sharing that with us.

I learned a lot reading Chainsaw’s posts, he will be missed.

Chummer that was well written. Sorry for the loss of a friend.

Chummer -
So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, and sorry for his family. I spoke with Dave a number of times by PM and e-mail, and he was a Class A gentleman. Many of the apple & crab trees that are now available to us are a result of Dave's hunting them down in the wild around his region and getting scion into the hands of some folks for grafting. His communications to me were always enlightening, and I could tell he was all about the native environment & preserving great apple & crab trees for future generations. I'm very grateful for Dave's generosity in preserving those trees for the rest of us. Class, Class, Class guy. He'll be missed by many of us here for sure.

Chainsaw's obituary.

Man, I got a lump in my throat reading this thread. Very nice tribute Chummer!

RIP Dave, aka Chainsaw. What a nice guy he was, always polite and he was always jovial and helpful in every way he could to all of us.

RIP Dave, aka Chainsaw. What a nice guy he was, always polite and he was always jovial and helpful in every way he could to all of us.
Ryan at Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery is grafting some of the best apple & crab trees that Dave showed Ryan up in N.Y. Through Dave's scouting for great trees, and he and Ryan collecting scion to graft, many of those proven trees will be available for future planting to keep them going. Some of us already have some planted. Lots of time and walking put in by Dave while scouting, - and we can be the beneficiaries from his helpfulness. What a kind & thoughtful guy.

Dear friends of chainsaw. I can’t tell you how it fills my heart to hear the wonderful comments you have about my husband. Every day is a struggle for me because he is gone. He had such a passion for deer and habitat and daylilies. He loved this forum and talking and listening to all of you. We will be having services on Saturday December 3. This is his obituary. https://www.reedbenoit.com/obituary/david-whalen-iii
Thank you all for your kind words and prayer. Mrs. Chainsaw (Anne)

Dear Anne -
I never met Dave in person - but I feel I knew him and shared a kinship with him. He and I private messaged each other here on this forum a number of times, and I read all his posts on the open forum. Ryan of Blue Hill Nursery and I speak often and I know he and Dave spent s good amount of time searching for great wild trees together. I have some of Ryan's trees (via Dave finding them up in your area) and sharing the grafting scion wood with Ryan. Believe me - many outdoor guys, ladies, and young ones will be enjoying the trees Dave shared with all of us.

I'll be praying for you & family for God to bless you all with comfort and healing. Please feel free to keep in touch here - we'd love to hear from you going forward.

I just saw this, sorry to hear about this! I am praying for his family. He sure was a great addition to any forum he was on!

Just saw this myself. Even though its late I'm very sry to hear this. RIP my friend.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

His legacy will live on....

Hopefully I'll be able to do the same for some other whipper snapper when I'm old.

"WOW Phil! Those are great growing grafts. Good work. Your growth is at least a week ahead of mine. You have some very encouraging growth there. Thanks for showing me your progress; I really hope this tree shines in your property like it does here. I have complete confidence that this tree multiplied here is a huge improvement to this property and am hoping that it works on yours and other's properties as well.

Hunting is still our most fun but it happens so quickly. This tree adventure is adding to my property enjoyment very significantly. We can see the original Turning Point from our sunroom and still now, two solid months since the last apple drop we see deer most mornings visiting Turning Point hoping for one more bite.

I like your nursery setup; what size containers are those? Note; being retired I'm all in on growing apples and maybe a container for each is not possible due to the volume of trees I'm growing but for very special seedlings it might apply."

Turning Point

3d6aa6ace79f72a30de453e154c92dd2.jpg

His legacy will live on....

Hopefully I'll be able to do the same for some other whipper snapper when I'm old.

"WOW Phil! Those are great growing grafts. Good work. Your growth is at least a week ahead of mine. You have some very encouraging growth there. Thanks for showing me your progress; I really hope this tree shines in your property like it does here. I have complete confidence that this tree multiplied here is a huge improvement to this property and am hoping that it works on yours and other's properties as well.

Hunting is still our most fun but it happens so quickly. This tree adventure is adding to my property enjoyment very significantly. We can see the original Turning Point from our sunroom and still now, two solid months since the last apple drop we see deer most mornings visiting Turning Point hoping for one more bite.

I like your nursery setup; what size containers are those? Note; being retired I'm all in on growing apples and maybe a container for each is not possible due to the volume of trees I'm growing but for very special seedlings it might apply."

Turning Point

3d6aa6ace79f72a30de453e154c92dd2.jpg
I planted 4 of his trees at a friends yesterday. I have some going in at my place in a couple weeks. I think of him every time I drive by an apple tree.